Quadcopter/Drone Thread

PAYBACK

Expert Member
So going via Amazon you'll save almost R13k after paying shipping and SA duties?
More like 3k, but yes you paying a 13k premium on MSRP locally. Add to that 25-30% profit margin they making and you get the picture.

airborne

Honorary Master
More like 3k, but yes you paying a 13k premium on MSRP locally. Add to that 25-30% profit margin they making and you get the picture.
R3k is fair enough though with it being local with local warranty, actually only R3k premium over Amazon all in price means that's a deal!??

PAYBACK

Expert Member
R3k is fair enough though with it being local with local warranty, actually only R3k premium over Amazon all in price means that's a deal!??
For me 3k is a lot of money to pay for a "what if" scenario. Yes that is all in price. As I mentioned before if there is a warranty issue Amazon will sort it out in any event. At the rate Droneworld work if you did have an issue you would probably have your drone travel to US and back before Droneworld could get it back to you.

airborne

Honorary Master
For me 3k is a lot of money to pay for a "what if" scenario. Yes that is all in price. As I mentioned before if there is a warranty issue Amazon will sort it out in any event. At the rate Droneworld work if you did have an issue you would probably have your drone travel to US and back before Droneworld could get it back to you.

When it comes to complex and very expensive thing like a drone I'd much prefer a local warranty.

R3k difference relative to the how much it costs is pretty close to price parity with Amazon, that's actually quite impressive, I'd gladly pay the R3k premium for local.

bluepoole

XAoCylW.jpg

Genisys

Honorary Master
Was about to ask what a decent drone is to get for playing around with, but going by prior responses (equipment replacement parts are needed for) it seems like I'm out of my depth here

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Was about to ask what a decent drone is to get for playing around with, but going by prior responses (equipment replacement parts are needed for) it seems like I'm out of my depth here
Nah - what are you looking for? Something just to fly around with or are you more interested in a flying camera?

Genisys

Honorary Master
Nah - what are you looking for? Something just to fly around with or are you more interested in a flying camera?
Mostly fly around but also have some way to see where I'm flying. Been considering a Mavic Mini 2 for a while, just not sure if its the best option

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Mostly fly around but also have some way to see where I'm flying. Been considering a Mavic Mini 2 for a while, just not sure if its the best option
If I was going to replace my Air I'd definitely go for a Mini 2.

Genisys

Honorary Master
If I was going to replace my Air I'd definitely go for a Mini 2.
IT will just not be able to handle your Gold fish burials as well as your Air. Going by all the reviews I've watched the Mini 2 seems like a very good option

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
IT will just not be able to handle your Gold fish burials as well as your Air. Going by all the reviews I've watched the Mini 2 seems like a very good option
I saw a test where it lifted more than it's own weight so I think it could manage a frozen fish.

Actually buried another one the other day :eek:

genetic

Honorary Master
Selling a DJI Mavic Air 2S Drone Flymore Combo.

That's R7k off the going price!

neoprema

Executive Member
Hey all.

I see on the no fly map that Golden Gate National Park is NOT showing as a no fly zone.
It also seems the Park offices are closed and no one mans the gate entry outside Clarens anymore.

would this mean it should be safe to fly my Magic Air around from the road a bit or is it still against the law?

Afon Kulikov

Forging
Hey all.

I see on the no fly map that Golden Gate National Park is NOT showing as a no fly zone.
It also seems the Park offices are closed and no one mans the gate entry outside Clarens anymore.

would this mean it should be safe to fly my Magic Air around from the road a bit or is it still against the law?
You can risk it, but a no-fly zone is a no-fly zone.
Try and contact the people or business running/ owning the place and ask them for permission or if the area are a still no-fly zone

Segg

Expert Member
Hey all.

FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS OVER NATIONAL PARKS AND WORLD HERITAGE SITES

Attention is drawn to section 47(1) of the Act which require a clearance of at least 2 500 FT above the highest point in a Special Nature Reserve, National Park or World Heritage Site. Pilots are cautioned that these altitudes might require aircraft to enter controlled airspace and therefore appropriate ATC clearances are to be obtained. Non-compliance to the Act is considered an offence (See Section 89 of the Act).
Charts depicting the relevant National Parks and World Heritage Sites, and tables containing the Minimum Flight Altitudes, are provided to assist pilots with the identification, minimum heights to be flown or the avoidance of these areas in toto.

Capture.JPG

A person convicted of an offence in terms of subsection (1) is liable, in the case of a first conviction, to a fine
not exceeding R5 million or imprisonment for a period not exceeding five years and, in the case of a second or
subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding R10 million or imprisonment for a period not exceeding ten
years or in both instances to both a fine and such imprisonment.

Attachments

• NationalParks.pdf
    134 KB · Views: 1

neoprema

Executive Member
FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS OVER NATIONAL PARKS AND WORLD HERITAGE SITES

Attention is drawn to section 47(1) of the Act which require a clearance of at least 2 500 FT above the highest point in a Special Nature Reserve, National Park or World Heritage Site. Pilots are cautioned that these altitudes might require aircraft to enter controlled airspace and therefore appropriate ATC clearances are to be obtained. Non-compliance to the Act is considered an offence (See Section 89 of the Act).
Charts depicting the relevant National Parks and World Heritage Sites, and tables containing the Minimum Flight Altitudes, are provided to assist pilots with the identification, minimum heights to be flown or the avoidance of these areas in toto.

View attachment 1077313

A person convicted of an offence in terms of subsection (1) is liable, in the case of a first conviction, to a fine
not exceeding R5 million or imprisonment for a period not exceeding five years and, in the case of a second or
subsequent conviction, to a fine not exceeding R10 million or imprisonment for a period not exceeding ten
years or in both instances to both a fine and such imprisonment.
I don't follow, your Drone has to be at a minimum Altitude of 11790 ft?

I can't see a little Mavic Air doing that...

Segg

Expert Member
I don't follow, your Drone has to be at a minimum Altitude of 11790 ft?

I can't see a little Mavic Air doing that...

Thats precisely the point. The airspace below that altitude is restricted, I.E you can't fly it, and if I'm not mistaken a drone is not allowed higher than 400ft AGL or out of line of sight

So the short answer is no.

neoprema

Executive Member
Thats precisely the point. The airspace below that altitude is restricted, I.E you can't fly it, and if I'm not mistaken a drone is not allowed higher than 400ft AGL or out of line of sight

So the short answer is no.

They're equating a 30cm Drone to a 737?