Quadcopter/Drone Thread

Segg

Expert Member
They're equating a 30cm Drone to a 737?

All aircraft (drones, helicopters and fixed wing) are prohibited from flying in National Parks without special permission.

SANPARKS are especially strict at enforcing these rules so break them at your peril :) These rules are largely in place due to the annoyance factor

Colsuldel

Hey all.

I see on the no fly map that Golden Gate National Park is NOT showing as a no fly zone.
It also seems the Park offices are closed and no one mans the gate entry outside Clarens anymore.

would this mean it should be safe to fly my Magic Air around from the road a bit or is it still against the law?

There are critically endangered vultures in the golden gate which are very sensitive to their environment.
Don't fly drones there, whether there are officials or not.

neoprema

Executive Member
I'm reading the rest of the Sanparks laws.

I love how you can be fined R50 000 or 10-year jail sentence for doing the unthinkable act of flying your Mavic over Table Mountain to take pictures.

But the guy who burnt down half the mountain and Rhodes is granted R500 bail and will have a court case where they're already many excuses why he shouldn't be held accountable.

Its a strange world we live in :)

neoprema

Executive Member
There are critically endangered vultures in the golden gate which are very sensitive to their environment.
Don't fly drones there, whether there are officials or not.
Very good reason! thanks.
I'll stick to flying it outside of the park in areas where the map doesn't have no-fly zones.

wolverine_dcp

Expert Member
Hi guys looking at getting a new drone. Doing some research and i am looking at either the mavic air 1 or the mini 2...

Thoughts or suggestions... Disappointed that the mini doesn't come with active track

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Yoh you're brave.

Why don't you use Active Track for some of those shots? Or did you want to go manual?
Will use manual if situation allows it. Didn't know comp was on so was very last minute didn't really have a plan. Tracking in these scenarios challenging. You usually find yourself wasting battery waiting for subject to choose right wave. Also tracking in early morning conditions makes it difficult with the lack of contrast.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Will use manual if situation allows it. Didn't know comp was on so was very last minute didn't really have a plan. Tracking in these scenarios challenging. You usually find yourself wasting battery waiting for subject to choose right wave. Also tracking in early morning conditions makes it difficult with the lack of contrast.
Was about to say - had no idea there was a comp on at Nahoon. Epic weather and water...

Kav33r

I'm reading the rest of the Sanparks laws.

I love how you can be fined R50 000 or 10-year jail sentence for doing the unthinkable act of flying your Mavic over Table Mountain to take pictures.

But the guy who burnt down half the mountain and Rhodes is granted R500 bail and will have a court case where they're already many excuses why he shouldn't be held accountable.

Its a strange world we live in :)
So going to CPT this coming week. Just read this post.

Any recommended and legal places to good drone footage in CPT?

I have a mavic mini.

genetic

Honorary Master
So going to CPT this coming week. Just read this post.

Any recommended and legal places to good drone footage in CPT?

I have a mavic mini.

Here's a map of the no-fly zones;

tRoN

Executive Member
Here's a map of the no-fly zones;

Who created this?
It’s does not correspond to the no fly zones on the DJI apps

SWM

I hope not in the Cape Town Intl CTR.... Especially when it's IMC whilst aircraft are intercepting the localizer and glide slope
Outside of the CTR. Below 400ft. VLOS due to an opening in the mist below (out of picture).

Puk

Hi guys,

Perhaps you'll have some advice for me. I read the SACAA regulations and always check if I'm in an area where it's legal to fly.

Today, I had a problem with a (very) cocky private small plane owner. He flies over the parkland area where I fly my drone (very low) and does this frequently. I was complying with the regs and checked the local map dozens of times to make sure I fly legally.

Anyway, he came over to me (after he landed God knows where) and started going off on me on how I'm flying in an active flight path and that he had to "almost stall" his plane to avoid a collission.

I have a Mini 2 and was flying at 120m max. How does one deal with this? The guy thinks planes have a monopoly of the air because they were first. And what about other planes? Does he almost "stall" his plane to avoid other planes, too?

He went on about how drone flyers are just "legal peeping toms" and went on and on. Very nasty man.

Anyway, this was one of the more serious incidents I've had... but it does NOT look like people like drone flyers at all.