Qualcomm’s new 60GHz Wi-Fi chips

Liam_Selby

MyBroadband Intern
Qualcomm’s new 60GHz Wi-Fi chips

Qualcomm has announced a new family of 60GHz Wi-Fi chipsets that are capable of delivering more than 10Gbps network speeds.

Qualcomm’s 60GHz Wi-Fi solution is the first to hit the market with optimizations based on the 802.11ay specification, which enables high speeds and wide coverage.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Where's that nut who wanted to stop the cellphone tower being built? This would make his day.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The new chips – the QCA64x8 and QCA64x1 ranges – also set the “industry low-power benchmark for extended battery life”.
The most interesting feature.

I doubt the wide coverage.
A 20 to 30Gbps speed — the basic PHY rate if you will is probably going to be around 30Gbps — and a range of say 10 meters between any two ay devices, maybe not at the full 30Gbps but still 10Gbps-plus. What you’ll start to see with ay is the option of instead of just having two basic devices maybe you’ll have a high performance access point for an office, so now instead of 10 meter range you’re going to get 30 meters of range and cover a fairly large cubicle area
https://www.networkworld.com/articl...fi-it-s-going-to-be-a-very-scalable-spec.html

You are also misquoting. It says coverage performance in the original article.
1539773087828.png
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/relea...xtends-wi-fi-experiences-5g-era-60ghz-80211ay

60GHz will not have more range than e.g. 5GHz or 2.11GHz. What it will do instead is that the performance of the signal would be better while it does have signal due to more channels to bond, probably less interference (due to more channels again, same as 5GHz), which will lead to better performance for its coverage (and might also beat the other signals in range. In most apartments the 5GHz signal is stronger due to all the neighbor's WiFi set-ups, even in my free standing house I am starting to experience the same as recently a lot of neighbors have set up multiple SSID without a care about channel etiquette).

Actual range as quoted from network world is about 30 meters, 2.4 covers about 140/250m, 5GHz should be similar to the 60GHz range. All dependent on the environment (both walls, fridges, etc. and other electronic signals).

Swa

Honorary Master
ayeeeeeeee. I wonder what our licensing for this is.

mister

Executive Member
Where's that nut who wanted to stop the cellphone tower being built? This would make his day.

Actually this would make him happy because 60Ghz is not going to go through walls