Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
What to study to become a top South African telecoms exec

Degrees in accounting, engineering, and commerce are three of the best types of qualifications to pursue if you wish to become a top telecommunications executive in South Africa.

We looked at the qualifications of several leading chief executive officers at South Africa's biggest mobile networks, fibre operators, Internet service providers, and financial technology companies.

cguy

Executive Member
The world is crying out for CEO boot camps.

#WeThinkOtherPeopleShouldCode

cguy

Executive Member
What does a engineer know about running a company, qualified CTO sure.
You asked about IT qualifications.

As for how the degrees translate to running a company, they are usually a foothold for a job that eventually evolves to higher and higher levels of management.

Last edited:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
As opposed to IT qualifications?

Nobody goes from coding, ops, bean counting or whatever straight to group CEO. The fact is these guys would have spent many years at various exco levels and would have been properly groomed, irrespective of their qualifications...

The_MAC

Executive Member
Deon for sure studied BEng with IT endorsement - as in, that particular course

And does Tiffany know that someone took a screenshot of her during a Teams meeting?

The_MAC

Executive Member
Engineers are smart, that is a CEO prerequisite

Disclaimer: The word Engineer is thrown around way too loosely these days, and not all CEO's are smart

krycor

Honorary Master
UCT doesn’t have BEng, only BSc hons in Eng.

Just saying.. something that comes up when you apply for MBA or other postgrad.

krycor

Honorary Master
This topic is overly done btw.. so much so that I don’t see the value of it. Feels like period article with most of the persons in it covered numerous times.

What I’d rather see as a topic, but related, is perhaps new companies in tech.. who are the founders or execs, how’s things going etc. you know after the 3-5yr period of they survived..

Entrepreneur stories are kinda cool in that sense and you get a glimpse of career path before they end up here. How did they get where they are? Was it luck? Or are they claiming skill or a bit of both.

Those are the stories that are interesting and while we don’t have a lot of them doing so helps push interest in tech entrepreneurs.. becoming a telecom exec is a lesser chance for most.

Ps. Not talking about the fabled unicorns we don’t have much of.. just new companies. I think there is too much doom & gloom covered and a perspective change is somewhat good. (You aren’t starting a company if you in that mode..)

ajan

You need jack. Just become the ICT minister and these guys will lick your boot day and night.

mojoman

Expert Member
You need jack. Just become the ICT minister and these guys will lick your boot day and night.
Just remember the incantation and all will be good...
"Protect Me from Myself,Protect Me from Myself ,Protect Me from Myself ...."!