Qualifying For A Contract Phone - Vodacom, Telkom, MTN

Hello everyone.

So long story short I want to sign up for a contract with preferably Vodacom, but any other network provider will do really. What I'm most worried about is qualifying for the contract phone I specifically want which is the Galaxy Note 9. It costs R800pm on Vodacom & Telkom and it costs R850pm on MTN. That's pretty steep as the phone is usually regarded for business men & women but I can afford to pay for it. A couple of things to note, I'm a student at UNISA studying engineering and I'm a full time junior Software Developer transitioning from an intern position. I only started working last year as an intern earning R5000 a month and in February 2019 my salary will increase to a minimum of R10 000. I live with my parents so I don't pay rent, my school fees is covered by my parents along with textbooks. Any money I get from work is mine to spend but of course Vodacom doesn't know that as they check my Credit History which at the moment is good. The problem is that I only have one Truworths account which I pay for without issue, my gym membership doesn't reflect on my credit history I found out as well as my Afrihost contract. On ClearScore my credit score is 613/705 with a short term debt total of R200 which I'm paying back at the end of this month if it means what I think it means. My question is do I qualify for a contract phone of R800 ? If you're wondering why I want such an expensive phone it is because I need it to last me a good 4 years. I'm not really big on phones, at the moment I have a budget Nokia 5 which I'm passing on to my brother so might as well go for the most expensive and long lasting.

RedViking

Nord of the South
You can do with your money as you please. Go to vodacom/mtn/telkom and take 3 month bank statements with. That is what they will ook at. Don't talk to much. They will tell you if you qualify or not. You might be fine or you are going to have to wait 3 months into your new salary.. Also an expensive phone doesn't necessarily last 4 years. Battery alone only last about 2 years depending on your usage. So if that is the reason you want an expensive phone it is a stupid reason. Phone also get dropped and will break. You gonna sit with expensive contract and no phone.
So also consider taking insurance on the phone. Seeing that you still stay in the basement, maybe add it to parents home insurance.

You can do with your money as you please. Go to vodacom/mtn/telkom and take 3 month bank statements with. That is what they will ook at. Don't talk to much. They will tell you if you qualify or not. You might be fine or you are going to have to wait 3 months into your new salary.. Also an expensive phone doesn't necessarily last 4 years. Battery alone only last about 2 years depending on your usage. So if that is the reason you want an expensive phone it is a stupid reason. Phone also get dropped and will break. You gonna sit with expensive contract and no phone.
So also consider taking insurance on the phone. Seeing that you still stay in the basement, maybe add it to parents home insurance.
I was planning on getting insurance for the device and my laptop, but seeing as it's home insurance how much would that cost ? Expensive I assume. And I don't think it's a stupid reason to get a phone especially seeing as I've always managed to take care of my phones. I just need a phone with good build quality, hardware that will go strong for 3-4 years and receive updates for a year or two.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I was planning on getting insurance for the device and my laptop, but seeing as it's home insurance how much would that cost ? Expensive I assume. And I don't think it's a stupid reason to get a phone especially seeing as I've always managed to take care of my phones. I just need a phone with good build quality, hardware that will go strong for 3-4 years and receive updates for a year or two.
Thats your decisions. Adding phone the home insurance is much cheaper than getting separate insurance through the operators. Take the 3 months bank statements and what ever else is required. If it gets rejected you can obviously not afford it. Also then look at the other good brands that is not overpriced.

D tj

It may be worth a different view.
I nowadays buy my phone out-right ( usually,cash) and my contract is sim only.

I put money aside, and buy a new phone via Gumtree or friends who upgrade their contract but keep their old phone, this way saving about 25% to 40% of the new price.

It has its risks, but with care and common sense and avoiding the "bargains" it has worked out fine so far.
Talk to friends and work colleagues: ask the decent ones for advice and assistance and see where it leads.

Do NOT for a moment consider bargains or shady deals, if it feels wrong or is a rush, walk away....clean honest deals are out there.

I have bought x3 MacBook Pros an iPad, and iPhones like this as well as sold.