Quality Dog Food in South Africa

Batista

Executive Member
I use Montego, but they get scraps almost every 2nd night and on weekends they get spoiled with canned dog food mixed with rice/pasta.Variety, keeps them healthy and gives them something exciting to look forward to.

Thor

Honorary Master
If my cats are anything to go by then apart from real food you cook yourself buy Acana.

Nothing compares.

My vet told me argued with me if it's the same cats I said yes.

It's incredible how healthy they are since I moved them to Acana

Royal canin and hills... Just massive marketing and kickbacks the USN of cat foods

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If my cats are anything to go by then apart from real food you cook yourself buy Acana.

Nothing compares.

My vet told me argued with me if it's the same cats I said yes.

It's incredible how healthy they are since I moved them to Acana

Royal canin and hills... Just massive marketing and kickbacks the USN of cat foods
I don't think agreeing that Acana is the best is the problem for most people - it's affording Acana. That stuff is expensive.

Necropolis

Executive Member
I don't think agreeing that Acana is the best is the problem for most people - it's affording Acana. That stuff is expensive.
Acana works out a little cheaper for us actually - mainly due to the fact that the dogs eat less now.

But they were on Hills prescription diet food before - which is quite pricey to start with.

Belladiva

Hi, this is probably the last place to put this post but its the only relevant Off topic sub group.

Just got myself a Dachshund Cross puppy who is 10 weeks old. He got his injections yesterday and while at the vet I asked what food I should be feeding him and she recommended Royal Canin. So called up a vet nearby in Jhb and they recommend Eukanuba or Royal Canin from http://www.epetstore.co.za/ to get it from as they don't always have stock.

So beside the prices difference I search which one is better and now I have opened up a whole can of worms as to what to feed him. Link to read: https://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071215112148AAr0qsn

What do you feed you dog/s? And have you had good or bad experiences with Eukanuba or Royal Canin?
I cook chicken and rice for my dogs daily!i tried expensive dog foods bt they wont eat ,i tried da cheaper 1 called waggies and they only eat da puppy 1 dats with chicken bt dnt like to eat it evryday so i just buy goldi chicken soup pack and rice from my local wholesalers and dats wat i feed dm daily!

cn@

Expert Member
Many, many years ago our family use to buy our dog, pet mince. Those days it was just meat "saw-dust". Although it was almost indistinguishable from normal minced meat. But then the quality of it went down the drain and they started adding shtt to it which necessitated them having to also add a shtt load of vinegar just to sterilise the meat.

No dog wants to eat this of its own free will if it is not starving.

Last edited:

upup

Executive Member
a Friend got a pure breed registered jack russel. Only the very most expensive food with added pills work for this dog, it's skin gets very itchy. You will see some good looking dogs in the township, they give there dog's the cheapest food and left overs.

Sumen

Expert Member
a Friend got a pure breed registered jack russel. Only the very most expensive food with added pills work for this dog, it's skin gets very itchy. You will see some good looking dogs in the township, they give there dog's the cheapest food and left overs.
Some Jack Russells are allergic to chicken, so that's why the skin is probably itchy.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Some Jack Russells are allergic to chicken, so that's why the skin is probably itchy.
Itchy skin - Vital Salmon Oil tablets work very well. 1 tablet twice a day.
4 Medium sized dogs get a variety of Vets choice pellets or rice, with chicken, mince, chicken livers, giblets or ox liver in a rotating cycle over a few days.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
FFS.

Just considered taking the plunge and switch to Acana, when I saw this:
Reading up on it...the lawsuit looks, at best, ignorant and at worst, an attempt at extortion.

It’s not uncommon to find heavy metals and/or toxins in pet food. In fact, the FDA has put in place a set of standards for them — a pet food is deemed safe if the amounts of these substances fall below a certain level.

Champion Petfoods says the metals in its food are found in “minuscule amounts” that “are a safe and common component of both human and animal diets.”

In the past, the company has argued that heavy metals shouldn’t even be described as “contaminants” at all because most of these metals are naturally occurring and may even have nutritional value at low enough levels.

The company points out that its average of 0.89 mg/kg arsenic in Acana and Orijen dog foods is far below the maximum tolerable limit of 12.50 mg/kg; its average of 0.09 mg/kg cadmium is far below the limit of 10.00 mg/kg; its average of 0.23 mg/kg lead is far below the limit of 10.00 mg/kg; and its average of 0.02 mg/kg mercury is far below the limit of 0.27 mg/kg.

The fact that the lawsuit relies upon data from the Clean Label Project — which awarded a 5-star rating to Alpo dog food, and which Dog Food Advisor, Whole Dog Journal and even Forbes have described as using “controversial,” “scare mongering” tactics and just plain “bad science” — demonstrates that there’s not a whole lot of evidence to back up its claims.

“We have no idea how much of these [metals] may actually be in the pet food products tested, because the Clean Label Project did not release any data at all,” writes Debbie Phillips-Donaldson, editor-in-chief of Petfood Industry.

I cook chicken and rice for my dogs daily!i tried expensive dog foods bt they wont eat ,i tried da cheaper 1 called waggies and they only eat da puppy 1 dats with chicken bt dnt like to eat it evryday so i just buy goldi chicken soup pack and rice from my local wholesalers and dats wat i feed dm daily!
Doesn't the farting drive you out of your home?

Zophos

We have a Labbie with Grain Alergies, gas nearly killed the whole family....

Switched to Earthborn Grain Free (Falls in the same category as Acana)

Happy with it, happy doggies, no more gas

Pricey AF, but worth it.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I was feeding my dogs Eukanuba which I had absolutely no issues with and very good quality food but recently switched to feeding RAW and it actually ends up costing me the same amount per month and supposed to be better than any pellets on the market

Koosie

Check out www.nutribyte.co.za great food at a great price, had loads of issues with my Jack Russel (skin allergys) started using this and never had any issues again and the dogs love it.

Mista_Mobsta

Started my boerboel and mastiff on the BARF/RAW diet about 3 years ago after both started showing allergic signs (red inflamed skin, swollen gums) to Montego/Eukanuba and Vets Choice. Works out about the same cost as feeding them Eukanuba/Vets choice but their health has improved substantially! Gleaming, bright coats, no allergy issues whatsoever and a lot more energy (maybe placebo for me) from what I can tell. Local vet can't really recommend that I keep them on the current diet but they have both been @ the Vet for regular check ups and are healthy as can be