Quality of Telefunken?

Jonno2343

Hi there
I just got an email from Esquire and they're offering some pretty good deals on TVs. http://www.esquire.co.za/specials/2011_06_18_LCDTVSpecial.html

The one is the Telefunken 42" LED TV for R6610 (incl VAT)
Model name is VLED-420FHD - only find South African results for a search on this.

The other is a 42" Plasma (Full HD!) for R4444 (incl VAT).
VPM-420FHDI

Does anyone know anything about these screens? Used to have a Telefunken CRT screen a long time ago and had no troubles with it.

Are there any other models by Sony / LG / Samsung for similar prices?

Last edited:

Louis72

Expert Member
Hi

I would advise you to rather stay away from Telefunken products,we had a 32'' LCD TV worked for 2 years then the power supply failed there was no spares parts available.
It is still in the store room gathering dust.

See Telefunken is owned by Nu-world industries and getting after sales support from them is like getting Telkom to fix your phone line!

I would rather get a Samsung,LG or Sinotec their after sales support is quite good.

http://www.makro.co.za/p/36853/sinotec-42-107cm-full-hd-led-tv/
http://www.makro.co.za/p/41519/lg-42-107cm-full-hd-led-tv/

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
We had a Telefunken screen in the office to test for a week, its overpriced for what it is.

Telefunken will be making their own panels in the neat future, only then would I reconsider them. Also Telefunken make a lot of other branded products and not just the ones owned by NuWorld.

2old4this

Yo! Am I surprised to read this - growing up pre TV times, when radios & HiFi's were all the rage; Telefunken were certainly a big name in the industry! We even had one & I think most SA households had either: Telefunken, Pioneer, Blauwpunt (unsure spelling) & Kenwood.
May I add, these were also pre Makro/Game/Hi Fi Corp times also & you received support directly from your retailer, who had his teks factory trained by those companies so return calls were minimal!
We had no Hello Peter also; you went up directly to the Boss Man & said "howzit! My HiFi fixed"

Dolby

Honorary Master
Hehe ... I remember growing up with as 'wood look casing' Telefunken and Blaupukt hi-fi ;) Think both grandparents had the same TV actually.

We bought one in 1996 and it was streets ahead of anything else available at the time. Quality was exceptional, had SCART, RGB, station naming, ambient light sensor, teletext and tons of other features for 15 years back.

Sadly they were bought out and I've also heard stay away :/

upup

Executive Member
old ex hisense products.
Show me a telefunken factory and I will show you ....

IF it breaks there will be no spare parts. If there come a 5 years guarantee , go for it.

Jonno2343

Yeah, that's a pity as they used to be a good brand.
So are Samsung, LG and Sony still the best?

Last edited:

4cer

Expert Member
Hi there
I just got an email from Esquire and they're offering some pretty good deals on TVs. http://www.esquire.co.za/specials/2011_06_18_LCDTVSpecial.html

The one is the Telefunken 42" LED TV for R6610 (incl VAT)
Model name is VLED-420FHD - only find South African results for a search on this.

The other is a 42" Plasma (Full HD!) for R4444 (incl VAT).
VPM-420FHDI

Does anyone know anything about these screens? Used to have a Telefunken CRT screen a long time ago and had no troubles with it.

Are there any other models by Sony / LG / Samsung for similar prices?

um you can get a 40' Full HD LED samsung for 5k at hi fi corp at teh moment ;) why would you get a telefunken ?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
old ex hisense products.
Show me a telefunken factory and I will show you ....

IF it breaks there will be no spare parts. If there come a 5 years guarantee , go for it.

They are not ex-Hisense products BTW, they assemble their own products outside of Cape Town. Our company was involved with the factory for another project, I also got to meet one of their top reps a few months back (why I know they will be making their own panels) and I use to know a director of NuWorld years ago.

So please don't knock HiSense - it also does not belong in the same sentence with Telfeunken - quality

;)

4cer

Expert Member
Well if i was you i would get that Sammy for R5k... you are saving 1.5k :) you lose 2" of screen but i dont think that will matter too much, and that is quite some deal :)

Jonno2343

Well if i was you i would get that Sammy for R5k... you are saving 1.5k :) you lose 2" of screen but i dont think that will matter too much, and that is quite some deal schemat :)
Phoned HiFi and they say they don't stock it anymore - very old and been discontinued :/

Last edited:

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
They are not ex-Hisense products BTW, they assemble their own products outside of Cape Town. Our company was involved with the factory for another project, I also got to meet one of their top reps a few months back (why I know they will be making their own panels) and I use to know a director of NuWorld years ago.

So please don't knock HiSense - it also does not belong in the same sentence with Telfeunken - quality

;)

You know, it's OK that you didn't/couldn't get a Samsung/LG/Sony... :p :D

Esquire

Esquire representative
Hi

I would advise you to rather stay away from Telefunken products,we had a 32'' LCD TV worked for 2 years then the power supply failed there was no spares parts available.
It is still in the store room gathering dust.

Hello Louis
let me know the model number of the TV you have and your location to see if I can get you a Power supply for the unit for you
if you based in Gauteng , you most welcome to bring it to our offices to let my engineers see if they can fix it, as they fix virtually anything electronic
PM me the details

Captain Beer

Executive Member
They assemble in Atlantis IIRC. Maybe that's just CRTs etc.
I have a Telefunken VCR purchased in 2001, still works fine, never given a days trouble. Not sure if it's the proper Telefunken or the Chinese version.