Query - Defy 42L Convection Microwave Oven

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I just bought this thing.

Inside:

index.jpg

That bit is removable, feels like, I dunno, hard cardboard? I presumed it was something that was meant to be removed (behind it is some sort of cavity/vent. Since it's not mentioned by the manual, I decided to phone the shop I bought it from and was assured it needs to stay there "to keep the radiation off the food".

So now I'm just confused.

Anyone?

ld13

Honorary Master
Looks like a microwave guide cover... I would not remove it as it protects the cavity from moisture. LOL @
keep the radiation off the food - that is the last thing it does.

Edit: It keeps the food off the radiation.

Last edited:

Nick333

Honorary Master
Looks like a microwave guide cover... I would not remove it as it protects the cavity from moisture. LOL @
This. Sales people are often morons. Keeps radiation off the food... ffs. It's electromagnetic radiation, not uranium. It keeps the food from splattering up the wave guide.

saor

Honorary Master

Edit: It keeps the food off the radiation.
:X3:

Respect to some of the company reps on here, because damn...
That salesperson made that comment online & they'd be buried already.

This. Sales people are often morons. Keeps radiation off the food... ffs. It's electromagnetic radiation, not uranium. It keeps the food from splattering up the wave guide.
I would damn well hope its not Uranium!

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
That is a microwave guide cover, its made out of mica or similar material.
The cover is there to keep food, and also moisture, to some extent, out of the waveguide which would lead to attentuation, flashover and possibly damage to the magnetron

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Typical response from the morons who work in those kinds of fields.
To be fair, I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to educate myself about microwaves if I was working at Checkers House and Home, it can't be fun.

In any event, yes, I snapped it back on, and the unit is an absolute delight to use. I'm very pleased.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
:X3:

Respect to some of the company reps on here, because damn...
That salesperson made that comment online & they'd be buried already.
Yeah when she told me that on the phone I did the telephonic equivalent of smiling, nodding and backing away slowly.

Russell S

I have an LG with a similar cover inside that is attached with a screw, so I would say that it is definitely not meant to be removed.