Question about the PSL (South Africa)

BrItIsH LiOn

Hi, when I watch a PSL game between any psl team other than Orlando, Chiefs and Celtic, the stadiums are always empty. (maybe -2000 fans at at 10 000 stadium). Take supersport for example. They are high rising and very good (for South Africa) but they have a very small fan base. Why is this the case with our Football? In England, teams like Crewe Alexandra (4th Tier league) gets a 10 000 capacity!!:confused::confused:

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Hi, when I watch a PSL game between any psl team other than Orlando, Chiefs and Celtic, the stadiums are always empty. (maybe -2000 fans at at 10 000 stadium). Take supersport for example. They are high rising and very good (for South Africa) but they have a very small fan base. Why is this the case with our Football? In England, teams like Crewe Alexandra (4th Tier league) gets a 10 000 capacity!!:confused::confused:

It is a sad trend in SA. Many people don't associate with the smaller teams. Traditionaly Chiefs and Pirates were the best teams, and the fans still follow them, even though there are better teams at the moment. Bloem Celtic seem to be the exception though. Another big factor is that teams in SA lose almost all their fans when relegated.

It would be interesting to see how many people on My BB support their local PSL team.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I think Crewe might beat a number of PSL teams :eek:

lilggg

Expert Member
Used ot support manning rangers ;p,now golden arrows,but i dnt watch any psl.

Kornhub

Blackburn Fan
Im a buccaneer :D

Me and my mates want to go watch some PSL live sometime...will get back to them about it

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I think Crewe might beat a number of PSL teams :eek:

Sadly, that's probably fact! :eek:

PS. I am a Maritzburg United supporter (look for them in the bottom half of the PSL log :eek:) ... now there's nailing your colours to the mast :)

BrItIsH LiOn

Well Bay are in NFD!!! And Yes, PSL teams are no match for the railwaymen of Alex!

Another thing..Why do our teams have like 5 different home stadiums??

maestro_za

Expert Member
Well Bay are in NFD!!! And Yes, PSL teams are no match for the railwaymen of Alex!

No SA club owns their own ground. Historical reasons I would imagine. Of course someone with more knowledge on the subject can inform us.

In terms of my support, I followed Cape Town Spurs as a youngster and when it was dissolved moved on to Ajax Cape Town.

Grew up in Cape Town so that is where my local sport fanaticism lies :D

JungleBoy

Executive Member
It's just not fashionable to support any team other than Chiefs, Pirates and maybe Sundowns. Teams in SA are not regional. Chiefs for example pull in more crowds in Cape Town than the Cape Town teams.

R13...

Honorary Master
It's just not fashionable to support any team other than Chiefs, Pirates and maybe Sundowns. Teams in SA are not regional. Chiefs for example pull in more crowds in Cape Town than the Cape Town teams.
They pull more crowds (than any other team) everywhere except Blom:).
Think they have the best support in Limpopo & Durban...

cr@zydude

Honorary Master

No SA club owns their own ground. Historical reasons I would imagine. Of course someone with more knowledge on the subject can inform us.

Maestro is correct, it is a historical problem. Most of the 'rugby' stadiums were build by the city councils, and then given to rugby sides to use. Most teams have long leases (50 years plus) for not to nothing (R 1 a year and such).

The first 'big' soccer venue built was the old Soccer City. Most soccer teams need to rent the rugby stadiums from the rugby teams (they are charged far more). In some cases, PE and Witbank, the city councils had to step in, because the rugby sides were ripping of the PSL teams.

Hopefully this will change post 2010. I really hope that many of teh new venues are 'given' to PSL teams.

Also, go Bay United! Back to the PSL next season.

BrItIsH LiOn

Maestro is correct, it is a historical problem. Most of the 'rugby' stadiums were build by the city councils, and then given to rugby sides to use. Most teams have long leases (50 years plus) for not to nothing (R 1 a year and such).

The first 'big' soccer venue built was the old Soccer City. Most soccer teams need to rent the rugby stadiums from the rugby teams (they are charged far more). In some cases, PE and Witbank, the city councils had to step in, because the rugby sides were ripping of the PSL teams.

Hopefully this will change post 2010. I really hope that many of teh new venues are 'given' to PSL teams.

Also, go Bay United! Back to the PSL next season.

Bay United have their own field. (NMB Stadium) and they don't even use it, they use the Wolfson Stadium. I think we should make a stand for our smaller clubs and start giving them support, we would actually be a good league then

If we can, can we make a list of all the teams with the avg. support at their most used home stadium

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Bay United have their own field. (NMB Stadium) and they don't even use it, they use the Wolfson Stadium. I think we should make a stand for our smaller clubs and start giving them support, we would actually be a good league then

If we can, can we make a list of all the teams with the avg. support at their most used home stadium

Bay United don't own the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, it belongs to the city council. Bay United don't even have a rental agreement for it yet. They only played the Premiers Cup there.

The problem is that they can't sustain teh stadium while they are in teh First Division. If (when) they make to the PSL next season, I am sure that they will use the stadium.

Also, I don't think that Bay United have used the Wolfson Stadium this year. All their home games have been at the Westbourne Oval, as far as I know.

matt loves telkom

i was a season Ticket holder at Bidvest Wits last season - i do not support them but they are the closest PSL team to where i stay. i enjoyed alot of the games last season and was basically a supporter of thiers. IMO alot of it comes down to the fact that ppl are just too f@#!n lazy or its too pricey to get yourself to the stadium to watch.anyone who ever sits there questioning why the stadium is empty needs to at least go and watch a game.its a general slack attitude alot of the so called supporters in this country have. Also the level of support is not as intense compared to overseas. look at this last wkend - i was at the Derby and Pirates/Chiefs supporters sit happily amongst each other with no problems. Overseas they have crowd control to seperate the supporters- they are just 10000 times more supportive than we are. I think its also to do with the childhood support. When you a young lad and father takes you to the game every sunday etc it grows on you and you make it part of life. here not really.

I really think PSL should drop the prices of some PSL games to get those few hundred/thousands ppl in. I mean R35/R40 a ticket is a bit heavy for some ppl.If they made it R10 a ticket and for some lesser exciting games Free :eek: im sure more ppl would pitch.Either way we have the most hilarious supporters on earth . fact :p