Question regarding WebAfrica Home Fiber

viper2110

How good is WebAfrica Home uncapped fiber?

Back story.

I am with WebAfrica for some years now. I was on the home ADSL uncapped but with there star rating system was throttled a lot.

I then switched over to a 150GB capped account. This is working for me as I get my full 4meg ADSL line speed during the day and schedule all my big updates and downloads during 12am to 6am, when you get 1TB of data.

I have never had any problems with there service and there support was always able to help me with any of my problems in the past.

Now Vumatel fiber was recently installed in my area and I am thinking of switching over to there 20/2 uncapped account.

Do they still use the star rating on there fiber product and throttle you as with there ADSL uncapped?

Are anyone on there 20/2 uncapped account and what is your experience? Would you recommend it?

JacquesR

I was a long-term DSL client of WA, switched to fibre 100/100 in December last year. At that point, the star system was still in place. But my WA client portal doesn't have it now (just checked a moment ago for the first time in months), so it seems that they have done away with it.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Go with Cool Ideas, it's R809 instead of Web Africa's R829 and they're pretty good.

Sopbeen

Brand loyalty will bring you nothing. You are better off shopping for a decent ISP.

Perhaps start looking at the ones that do not have "capped" products. Bonus points if they only specialize in fibre.

viper2110

My DSL Line is with Telkom and I am using WebAfrica for Data only. That makes it easy to jump between ISP if needed. I have just stuck with WebAfrica as I have not had any problems and they meet my needs.

Problem with Fiber providers is you must use them for line rental and data. So it will make it more difficult to move ISP if I need to.

So i want to make sure i chose the right fiber ISP.

Two things that Webafrica provides that I use is access to local news server and SMTP smart host for sending mails.

Do Cool Ideas and other Fiber providers also office these services ?

neoprema

Executive Member
I'm on 100/100 with WebAfrica and its rubbish.

The sooner I can get off it I'm gone. I'm paying for 100mbps and as I type this I'm hardly even getting 18mbps on any server/test/site.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Is there a webafrica rep on mybroadband?

I've had a Webafrica account for about 2 weeks now and my connection is utterly terrible at peak times. somewhere around 250-300ms with 15% packet loss.

I've logged support tickets but so far all I've heard is them blaming my wireless router with no answers on what is behind my poor experience. Very disappointed.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
My DSL Line is with Telkom and I am using WebAfrica for Data only. That makes it easy to jump between ISP if needed. I have just stuck with WebAfrica as I have not had any problems and they meet my needs.

Problem with Fiber providers is you must use them for line rental and data. So it will make it more difficult to move ISP if I need to.

So i want to make sure i chose the right fiber ISP.

Two things that Webafrica provides that I use is access to local news server and SMTP smart host for sending mails.

Do Cool Ideas and other Fiber providers also office these services ?
We have access to the same news server, why do you need SMTP relay? But we do have a relay.

viper2110

@PBCool . I run a small mail sever at home for education purpose and need a SMTP relay server so send mail.
The dynamic public IP provided are blacklisted by most mail servers. My mail sending volume is about 3 to 4 mails a week.

viper2110

How difficult is it to change from on Fiber ISP to another one.
Say i am unhappy with ISP A and want to move to ISP B. How long does it take and how long will my line be off?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool . I run a small mail sever at home for education purpose and need a SMTP relay server so send mail.
The dynamic public IP provided are blacklisted by most mail servers. My mail sending volume is about 3 to 4 mails a week.
Who hosts the domain? They should provide you with a relay.

neoprema

Executive Member
Which ISP is NOT using an IS backhaul? I'm looking to switch ISPs but I'm thinking the problem is less "ISP reseller" related and more IS related...

Also, I was surprised to see that my fibre is using IS dsl infrastructure (judging by the router hostname from my first hop). I would have thought Fibre would go through newer and thus much faster networks.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Which ISP is NOT using an IS backhaul? I'm looking to switch ISPs but I'm thinking the problem is less "ISP reseller" related and more IS related...

Also, I was surprised to see that my fibre is using IS dsl infrastructure (judging by the router hostname from my first hop). I would have thought Fibre would go through newer and thus much faster networks.
Nope, same backhaul. Just changed last mile medium. We all still end up going through IPC. This is the case with OpenServe, not others. Most other fiber providers terminate at a Teraco data center (I think, PBCool can give a better answer)

In regards to not using IS backhaul, IS backhaul is usually fine, it's the under-provisioning/over-selling of certain ISPs on that backhaul that is bad.

neoprema

Executive Member
Nope, same backhaul. Just changed last mile medium. We all still end up going through IPC. This is the case with OpenServe, not others. Most other fiber providers terminate at a Teraco data center (I think, PBCool can give a better answer)

In regards to not using IS backhaul, IS backhaul is usually fine, it's the under-provisioning/over-selling of certain ISPs on that backhaul that is bad.

Apart from never having 100Mbps on my 100Mbps line especially at night, my other problem is I just cant download large files. I takes me 4-10 tries to get a 2.7GB ISO down because it starts at like 6MB/s and then just goes all the way down to 0 and times-out. This is consistent with Webafrica/IS

Yet, on other network types such as LTE it works fine using the same Wi-Fi router and laptop. Thats why I'm asking which ISPs don't use IS for Fibre so I can try something else.

OCP

Expert Member
Apart from never having 100Mbps on my 100Mbps line especially at night, my other problem is I just cant download large files. I takes me 4-10 tries to get a 2.7GB ISO down because it starts at like 6MB/s and then just goes all the way down to 0 and times-out. This is consistent with Webafrica/IS

Yet, on other network types such as LTE it works fine using the same Wi-Fi router and laptop. Thats why I'm asking which ISPs don't use IS for Fibre so I can try something else.
If you are in CT you are welcome to come test/download on my 100Mbps line with Cool Ideas.

I downloaded the latest CentOS 7 ISO earlier and it came down at full bandwidth start to finish.

Unlike other ISP's; with CISP you get what you pay for all the time.

viper2110

How difficult is it to change from on Fiber ISP to another one.
Say i am unhappy with ISP A and want to move to ISP B. How long does it take and how long will my line be off?

viper2110

@PBCool . I had a look at Vumatel site and they show that my area have fiber coverage. When I go to www.cisp.co.za and search my area it shows that I do not have any fiber coverage. How log will it take for Cool Ideas to update there there map so i can place an order ?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool . I had a look at Vumatel site and they show that my area have fiber coverage. When I go to www.cisp.co.za and search my area it shows that I do not have any fiber coverage. How log will it take for Cool Ideas to update there there map so i can place an order ?
Hi there, our updates are based on the maps issued by Vumatel. You can drop a mail to connect@cisp.co.za if you need any help.