Questions on upload rates in South Africa, who has control over this?

JimboJambo

Hi guys, recently i have been having a look at all the internet speed upgrades becoming available etc etc etc.
Something interesting has caught my eye, and its that our upload speeds are horrible across the board regardless of your internet package, some say this is telkoms issue to sort out.

Im starting this thread just to shed some light on the matter because, i would like to start streaming to viewing sites like twitch.tv or even upload youtube videos and would just like to be more educated on the matter, so if anyone could throw in their 2cents it would be appreciated :D

Do we have bad infrastructure? or is telkom simply not allowing us to have great upload bandwidth to save money?
from what I've researched lines overseas can have DL/UP rates of 10/10 if you want, but everything after 10mbps in SA is limited to an upload rate of 1mbps.

ChocolateBadger

Expert Member
I get around most of mwebs k@k with a vpn. You can't shape what you can't see. Yes the upload problem is annoying. I tried streaming to twitch, impossible. Also if you stream dota while trying to play dota. Not going to happen. My other plan was play on lte and stream from adsl. Still didn't fix the impossible part.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Adsl has 0.5mbps upload on all packages up to 4mbp, after you get 1mbps upload on the 10/20 Mbps packages.
Vdsl allows up to 2mbps on all packages.
Fibre usually has the same upload as download, but it depends on your ISP

Most of us in South Africa have adsl.

grim

Expert Member
ADSL/VDSL are asymmetrical

ADSL 2+ Annex A (Which Telkom uses) has a max upload speed of 1Mbps
ADSL 2+ Annex M has a max upload speed of 3Mbps

VDSL2 has a max upload speed of 5Mbps, Telkom does 3Mbps up on 40Mbps VDSL lines

psion

As grim posted, it is a limitation on the technology not the provider.
If you want 1/1 ratio you need to speak to a WISP in your area are consider getting fiber

Consider your self educated.

zolly

Expert Member
Hi guys, recently i have been having a look at all the internet speed upgrades becoming available etc etc etc.
Something interesting has caught my eye, and its that our upload speeds are horrible across the board regardless of your internet package, some say this is telkoms issue to sort out.

Im starting this thread just to shed some light on the matter because, i would like to start streaming to viewing sites like twitch.tv or even upload youtube videos and would just like to be more educated on the matter, so if anyone could throw in their 2cents it would be appreciated :D

Do we have bad infrastructure? or is telkom simply not allowing us to have great upload bandwidth to save money?
from what I've researched lines overseas can have DL/UP rates of 10/10 if you want, but everything after 10mbps in SA is limited to an upload rate of 1mbps.

Give up on streaming if you have ADSL. I have investigated the option multiple times and the only way to get it to work is to have bad quality video.

The only person who I saw with a decent stream is a guy who lives in one of the Century City complexes in Cape Town. They have a fiber network and he has 3 meg upload speed so he's able to stream at 720p without it affecting his ping.