Questions on Wi-Fi over a distance

bees

Hi

New here, so please excuse if this has been asked before. If so, please refer me to the correct threads.

My office and home is 600m from each other as the crow flies. I would like to connect the two using wireless routers. I already have a Gigabyte B49G router on each side, capable of 54mbps.

My questions are as follows:
1) What equipment will I need to connect the two routers? (Don't know much about Dbi Antenna's, etc.)
2) Where can I get them (I'm based in Cape Town).
3) How will I go about securing the connection?
4) Must it be point-to-point, or can I make it a radius of say 2km. Ideally, I would like to connect my laptop to it anywhere near the office. Will I need special equipment for the laptop, apart from the wireless card.
5) Although the distance is quite small, I'm worried about the huge trees in the way. I can get access to both roofs, but it will still not be line of sight.
6) How long can the wire from the AP to the antenna be?
7) Finally, how legal (or illegal) is it to do something like it?

Will really appreciate your input / feedback on this.

Thanks very much!

Bees

lewstherin

Bees I'm in the process of speccing a similar setup - except I'm looking at connecting two friends who are 500-600m away, with a lot of trees blocking the LOS.

To answer your questions from what I've discovered:
1.) You should consider a point to point link, using a cheap USB adapter + chinese cookware (more on this soon [:)]) on one side. This gives high gain - to overcome the LOS issues - and is a cheap, lossless solution.
2.) See the equipment suppliers topic
3.) 128bit WEP will do. You should also use some kind of MAC address restrictions.
4.) Use a point to point connection to connect your home and office. Then, depending on your equipment, use an additional AP to allow local roaming. Sahara sells SMC Barricade WiFi routers for a good price. These babies have two detachable antennae, which means you can extend the router using a high gain antenna on the one router antenna connector, whilst leaving the other router antenna to provide local access.
5.) LOS is always best - when you have trees in the way, you will have issues because of how tree leaves interfere with Wifi signals. My approach is going to be to blast through the trees using high gain antennae.
6.) As short as possible if its coax antenna cable. You lose signal on antenna coax. The best approach is to mount your AP as close to the antenna as possible (in an outside electrical box is the common approach), and use a long run of ethernet cable (lossless) to provide network and power (PoE) connections.
7.) 2.4 Ghz (the wifi frequency used) is unlicensed, so anyone can use it.
Basically its illegal to create networks over property or public road boundaries in the strictest interpretation of the law. However there are precendents of wireless ISPs winning cases against ICASA over wireless network provision, and additionally recent liberalisation announcements appear to indicate that the restrictions may finally be lifted. On top of that ICASA is not really able to enforce the rectrictions for funding and general ignorance reasons.
As such my attitude is that I building a wifi network now for BETA testing purposes until the law is changed [;)]

I will be documenting my mission to get my little Wifi network up, so in the next month or so expect a step by step how to doc.

<font color="blue">Telkom needs a leash, ICASA needs some guts, and the </font id="blue"><font color="red">SA consumer</font id="red"><font color="blue"> needs to make it happen</font id="blue">

georgelza

waiting on this doc :)

G

You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a Person
You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!

bees

Thanks lewstherin!

I'll rather wait for your documentary, and see what the results are.

I'm using Wireless for two laptops at home, as well as at the office, so putting the router in a box outside won't help, unless the signal get's picked up from the external antenna? But then the antenna will have to be omni directional, not so? Very stupid with these things.

MaD

Expert Member
2) Modems, AP's: Scoop, http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/ they're in Montague Gardens... got a Poynting patch antenna there.

You can get access points from Genex (need an account) as well, I bought one there for R580, 802.11g 108Mbps in turbo mode.. also Rectron sells Gigabyte PCI cards.

7) Finally, how legal (or illegal) is it to do something like it?
Does it matter.

<font color="navy"><font size="1"><b>Where others have progress, we have Telkom.</b>
Hellkom website - www.hellkom.co.za</font id="size1"></font id="navy">

freeek

Expert Member
You can get access points from Genex (need an account) as well, I bought one there for R850, 802.11g 108Mbps in turbo mode.. also Rectron sells Gigabyte PCI cards.

108Mbps per second! potent stuff! it will never reach close to that tho?

..- dot dot dash ;)

bees

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by freeek</i>
<br />108Mbps per second! potent stuff! it will never reach close to that tho?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Probably not over that distance, but near the router, yes. I have the 54Mbps router and PCMCIA card running in Turbo mode, and it flies! Just as fast a normal 100mbps network (Bottleneck from router to PC running CAT5...)

Still on ISDN... watch this space.