Questions to those that have actually installed Solar

Neuk_

Expert Member
You're welcome to pop round if you want to have a look and chat...
Thanks bud ;-) I would appreciate that, we have kind of put the plan on hold for now while we sort some water damage out but I am always doing some research.

TheJman

Expert Member
hahaha! What does cloud cover do to output, I assume it doesn't go to 0?

Arthur

Honorary Master
hahaha! What does cloud cover do to output, I assume it doesn't go to 0?
Clouds can also briefly increase output, on a partly cloudy day. It's called cloud edge effect. This can spike pv panel output quite dramatically, for 5-30 seconds, depending on cloud.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Depends on the cloud thickness. Down to 10 percent or so.
Where you based? Am scrolling through numerous threads piecing together our needs after we move...am budgeting +- R150k for a grid tied system that is modular and caters for future expansion. Funny how different HOA's in different estates have rules for and against PV systems!

TheJman

Expert Member
Where you based? Am scrolling through numerous threads piecing together our needs after we move...am budgeting +- R150k for a grid tied system that is modular and caters for future expansion. Funny how different HOA's in different estates have rules for and against PV systems!
Honestly man, that's why I created this thread - because it's so spread out with some threads about batteries, others about inverters and so on... figured have one place where we can ask those who took the plunge for straight advice - would be cool to build something on here with MyBB help that is like a searchable database where people can upload their quotes...

TheJman

Expert Member
Okay guys, I've got got in a quote.... here the details:
  • 3.2kWp – 9 x 355W Canadian Solar panels (Gen 4 latest tech available)
  • 4.6kW inverter
  • 7kWh = 2 x 3.5kWh Lithium Ion battery which allows for 1400Watts of power for 4 hours during an outage (80% depth of discharge)
Price Tag of R110,000 ex VAT

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Okay guys, I've got got in a quote.... here the details:
  • 3.2kWp – 9 x 355W Canadian Solar panels (Gen 4 latest tech available)
  • 4.6kW inverter
  • 7kWh = 2 x 3.5kWh Lithium Ion battery which allows for 1400Watts of power for 4 hours during an outage (80% depth of discharge)
Price Tag of R110,000 ex VAT
Those sounds like Pylontech batteries. See if you can stretch to BYD which offer a warranty on 100% DoD.
There are a lot of extra costs - does your quote include them all?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Clouds can also briefly increase output, on a partly cloudy day. It's called cloud edge effect. This can spike pv panel output quite dramatically, for 5-30 seconds, depending on cloud.
Yeah I've seen some lekker cloud-edge ;)

1553691583858.png

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
^ Sounds pretty good, whatcha think of this @Sinbad ?

EDIT: Nevermind, as i pressed Save I see you already responding :ROFL:

Arthur

Honorary Master

TheJman

Expert Member
Those sounds like Pylontech batteries. See if you can stretch to BYD which offer a warranty on 100% DoD.
There are a lot of extra costs - does your quote include them all?
Says it's an estimate, but will meet with the guy to see what looking at - I feel like we should build a database of guys who have been used in the industry - my personal biggest concern is that someone woke up a year ago and thought this could be a good money opportunity, but doesn't really have the experience on what they're doing or have products that have been installed and are running

IzZzy

Executive Member
Victron Multiplus 5000/48/60-100 inverter
Smartsolar 250/60 MPPT
BYD B-Box 10.24kwh battery cabinet unit
Victron CCGX control unit
10x JA Solar 330W panels

Cost was around R190k. There are quite a lot of sundry costs over and above the components above- mounting rails for panels, huge cables and fuses (my battery fuses are 180A, 50mm2 cables), CoC, AC cabling, installation, surge protectors, etc.
Battery was by far the most expensive single piece of kit.
Similar setup but with:
(1) 16 panels in two different banks with two MPPTs;
(2) Victron controlled 13.5kva generator;
(3) 15kw Freedon Won lithium ion battery; and
(4) 15kw Victron inverter.

The generator autostarts when battery usage is at 30% and no mains available. It charges the battery to 100% and then shuts down again. My electricity consumption has decreased from R15k p/m (yes... you read that right) to R800 p/m.

The system was plus / minus R300k all in. I've had it going on a year.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Ahh, quattro ftw

Budget didn't stretch to that, unfortunately...

IzZzy

Executive Member
One warning about all this.

You become kinda obsessed with the weather, and very intolerant of clouds ;)
Assume you have the Victron app as well? I check that thing about 10 times a day!

Have you seen the sweet spot for generation is +-22 degrees with slight clouds? I generate around 4900w at that sweet spot....