Questions to those that have actually installed Solar

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
All this regulatory nonsense is going to blow up in CTs faces soon enough. Just another SANRAL type issue. If you have the cash, AND do it properly as above, the guvament is going to have no choice, not only to allow it all but also allow buyback of excess capacity.

The issue is going to be maintaining the system. It is not an "install and forget" setup. You have to maintain such a setup.

Last edited:

B@rrels

Expert Member
I started off 18 months ago with a 5kw SolaX grid tied inverter,11 X 320w panels and worked fine but did not cover load shedding (grid tied safety precaution to not feed back into the grid).10 months later upgraded to a Goodwe 5kw hybrid inverter,4 pylontech lithium ion 2.4kw batteries and 4 extra panels making it 4.8kw.12 X 320w panels north facing and 3 X 325 w panels south facing to catch the morning sun.A contactor (1 n/o and 1 n/c ) in the DB board.No separate db for inverter feed.On power failure contactor drops and back up load from inverter/batteries/solar feeds db without feeding back to grid.
At a guess costs at R150000 as I did installation myself (being an electrician) but no CoC yet.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Aside \ Just to rub salt into the wounds here in Tshwane. Last week when everyone was suffering with LS, large parts of Tshwane never got LS. Now, this week the stupid twats have discovered the fault and we are without power. No indication when it will be back! :mad:

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
All this regulatory nonsense is going to blow up in CTs faces soon enough.
I think NOT
Just a quick bit of "NEW" legislation and -- hey presto the gravy train rolls again
This is what happens in the type of system we currently have here in this country.

Whatever happens Eskom WILL be rescued. ( too much "face" to save )
Increases in elecricity bills ( municipalities will make sure to get THEIR cut )
PAYE and every other tax vehicle will be increased
Even if it means TAXING every single -- "off-the-grid" home system.

The peeps in the myriad places where people NEVER pay for power -- but whom Eskom HAVE TO keep supplying will make sure of that !

We are NOW in -- "Venezuela territory"
There is a case study just across the great green greasy Limpopo

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Heavens... I would have emigrated rather than sort that nonsense out
Get this.. It was all because they cocked up... Added an incorrect meter number and to fix it they just zeroed the meter readings.. Which somehow saw the system assume I'd used 400k worth of water in 3 days.... Was like 110m liters of water... Through a 15mm feed...

Verde

Nope, mine's too big for even an 80. And I have a 60. (5000KVA)

There's no rational reason to regulate the size of generation if that generation is not being fed to the grid. This needs to be challenged.
With your setup it seems to me even in the worst case scenario you are just 10 panels away from going off grid anyway - assuming you have a decent generator.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
With your setup it seems to me even in the worst case scenario you are just 10 panels away from going off grid anyway - assuming you have a decent generator.
15 panels maybe, for contingency, and double the battery. My generator is inefficient and noisy.
Oh and another inverter in parallel to up the peak to 10kva so we can run the tumbledryer and washing machine together

Arthur

Honorary Master
My own experience corroborates what Sinbad says. Solar power generation drops 30-40% in winter, depending of course on your location, latitude, and how long the morning and evening shadows linger. My summer experience was that 40 panels were sufficient, but as the days shortened I realised that I needed more. I only had roof space for another 15, so I maxed out at 55 panels, and have been living with that since 2013. The hybrid grid-tied bidirectional inverter (MLT PowerStar II, 12kW) is sufficient.

Bottom line: Plan your system for expansion, if possible.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Pulled some hard and fast figures for the last 7 days from the system, to provide more answers to OP's post.

Consumed from grid: 175kwh
Generated from solar: 89kwh
So 33% saving. Solar conditions have not been ideal - couple of very cloudy days. Full sun, would have been closer to 125kwh, or 47% saving - in terms of kilowatt hours.
Given that this saving would come off the second and third tiers of the sliding tariff, that's actually a monetary saving of at least R1.70 per kwh in CoJ prepaid terms
12kwh per day * R1.70 * 30 = R612 saving as per last week average
18kwh per day * R1.70 * 30 = R918 saving best case, not counting going over the 1000 block. I used to use about 1200kwh per month = R1878 of prepaid. So easily saving 50% of my bill.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Now what you should be doing is gradually reducing your bill in reasonable steps so as to not attract the attention of the kWh police ---- :unsure:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Now what you should be doing is gradually reducing your bill in reasonable steps so as to not attract the attention of the kWh police ---- :unsure:
There's nothing legally stopping me using 0. They will come and inspect me for bypassed meters etc, but they can do that if they want. Nothing to hide.

I will be adding more panels as soon as I have cash. They will have a dramatic effect on ROI.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I agree. All this rubbish going on in CT and other places is an infringement of our basic rights.
You should be able to choose to use power or not. A basic connection fee proportional to the CB installed is already pushing their luck. After that, there should be no minimum usage limits at all.
If the Council have an accounting problem regarding their systems to fix for those that sell power back, fix the billing systems. Don't make those problems the end users problem. Neither is the tax issue their problem, but an individuals problem.
As soon as the regulations are changed hopefully, those with muscle are going to go after and sort out all the BS.

And flying drones over someone's house is an invasion of your privacy!. Do that to me for these purposes and watch how fast that drone gets turned into vapourised electrons.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My neighbours probably think I'm crazy...

Do you regularly clean off your panels (especially in Joburg in winter?)

I watered mine nicely last night, and it makes quite a difference.
Maybe a month's worth of dust accumulation ...

1562679886044.png

That's 6% extra yield ...