Questions to those that have actually installed Solar

REAList_1

Two questions.

Does anyone have a names for reliable and trustworthy suppliers who won't run away with your money? I only know of Sustainable as I have used them before but they are getting expensive, Solar Advice prices are suspiciously too good, anyone used them before? The only guys who stock BYD batteries around here don't deal with the public and only sell to companies, Segen Solar in Strijdom Park. The Sinetech guys have appaling service and I would rather not deal with them if I can help it.

My second question relates to the Axpert /Mecer inverters and their compatibility to the Pylon tech batteries, anyone kniws what is happening there? I have heard that they do work together but the inverter cannot communicate with the battery, what is the implication with that?
Go look on powerforum.co.za for answers.
Too many Axpert issues.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
My house the roof is orientated east and west , not ideal for solar panels

Sinbad

Honorary Master
you could have 2 arrays, or you could mount them on a structure.
Yup, on separate mppts (this is key).
You'll get lower peak yield but a much wider yield curve (ie, more power in the early morning and late afternoon.

I'm up at 2.3kw from my array before 9:30 (east facing only)

Jaws677

Go look on powerforum.co.za for answers.
Too many Axpert issues.
Nothing wrong with Axpert depending on the application.

Personally don't even bother with Powerforum anymore. Just a bunch a Victron fan boys slating anything that's not blue.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Personally don't even bother with Powerforum anymore. Just a bunch a Victron fan boys slating anything that's not blue.
There's reason people love Victron and it's not because they're fan boys.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Yup, on separate mppts (this is key).
You'll get lower peak yield but a much wider yield curve (ie, more power in the early morning and late afternoon.

I'm up at 2.3kw from my array before 9:30 (east facing only)
on what size array? and what time does it start fading off?

also is there a lull between your arrays?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I only have one for now, 10x330w.

You can see where the tree starts shading mine

REAList_1

Long after you’ve forgotten the cheap price you still remember the problems from a purchase.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Victron = Buggy firmware.

Been there, done that. They're ok for basic stuff, but if you want to do anything moderately complicated, can be painful. It has improved since I bought mine back in 2013ish, but its been more headaches than not for me.

In other news, I just bought 10KW of LFP battery for 35k delivered including tax, so will be upgrading my storage away from dead acid finally.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Been there, done that. They're ok for basic stuff, but if you want to do anything moderately complicated, can be painful. It has improved since I bought mine back in 2013ish, but its been more headaches than not for me.

In other news, I just bought 10KW of LFP battery for 35k delivered including tax, so will be upgrading my storage away from dead acid finally.
**** me. What make of lfp, what dod?

calypso

Expert Member

So what to get then? SMA?