Questions to those that have actually installed Solar

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Arthur and I have some of the oldest systems in use on MyBB.

My own dead Acid are pretty shot by now, and I was barely using them. Always knew they were an interim measure though, even at the time I was looking at LFP.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Any reputable installers in Pretoria ? I want to start planning my system and maybe within a year start installing.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Any reputable installers in Pretoria ? I want to start planning my system and maybe within a year start installing.
I doubt you will get a guy who will be interested in coming to chat and only see business a year later they are quite busy atm. Start learning about how it works etc and get an idea of what you need/want so long.

Shellyb1

Expert Member
My neighbours probably think I'm crazy...

Do you regularly clean off your panels (especially in Joburg in winter?)

I watered mine nicely last night, and it makes quite a difference.
Maybe a month's worth of dust accumulation ...

View attachment 681575

That's 6% extra yield ...
Thanks for this cleaning tip. Hosed off my panels and got an extra 500w yield at peak.

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

Bring on Summer Sun

richjdavies

I doubt you will get a guy who will be interested in coming to chat and only see business a year later they are quite busy atm. Start learning about how it works etc and get an idea of what you need/want so long.
If you're not ready to start investing - Start off the journey by knowing and then reducing your loads.
http://blog.homebug.co.za/?page_id=55
Note - the prices and tariffs are several years out of date...

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
100% agree with you - it's ALL heating - I'm a tenant, so have been pushing my landlord to improve insulation since day 1... this house is FREEEZING... but anyway...

Your calculation seems to be a 'supply-side' calculation - i.e. you're 100% using the batteries over their lifetime (of 10 years?). I reckon I'd need to think of it more as a demand side calculation. As that is the grid you are replacing... But also you're not including inflation etc... R2.01/kWh + R150/month is CT Home right now (and more if you use over 600kWh each month - and don't spread out the buying!)

I'm probably not comfortable removing the GRID right now (R150/month I know...), if only we could find a property under R1m in CT :D (haha!) we could have prepaid only pay for what you use bliss...
If there was just some other way to charge the batteries... I guess you could keep a generator for desperate situations (or ask a neighbour :))

Once I get a chance I'll run the numbers again!
Something I wrote a few years ago, but still relevant, *and* not that expensive to implement, maybe persuade the landlord...

richjdavies

Something I wrote a few years ago, but still relevant, *and* not that expensive to implement, maybe persuade the landlord...

I'll will after I move :) (current landlord took 4 months to fix a the leak in the roof - so I'm sure he's not much a long term thinker!)

On that note, what are recent experiences people have with insulation co's in Cape Town / Southern Suburbs? Any recommendations?

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
I'll will after I move :) (current landlord took 4 months to fix a the leak in the roof - so I'm sure he's not much a long term thinker!)

On that note, what are recent experiences people have with insulation co's in Cape Town / Southern Suburbs? Any recommendations?
Honestly, roof insulation is a 'urine flow' easy diy route.
Just keep your feet to the beams, and don't step through the ceiling ;)

Rolls of >135mm thickness can be had at Builders (although they're overpriced, buy in bulk elsewhere).
Literally its bung into roof, unroll and cut to length.

richjdavies

Honestly, roof insulation is a 'urine flow' easy diy route.
Just keep your feet to the beams, and don't step through the ceiling ;)

Rolls of >135mm thickness can be had at Builders (although they're overpriced, buy in bulk elsewhere).
Literally its bung into roof, unroll and cut to length.
And 2 weeks of itching and feeling horrible after the fact... Think those pumped cellulose guys do a better job for less hassle (given I don't even know where to buy bulk yet!)

The_Traveller

Expert Member
You quick to assume I want a few panels connected for a few hundred kWh supply.

The amount of work it will entail , is worth the time/effort for anyone to come "chat" with me. Also, the head of planning/technical of any business DOES NOT sit all day at site on a job.

Your logic is quite amusing. It seems you learn about things before you buy them. Like your first TV, did you google how to use the remote and operate before purchase ? How about your car , or your electric toothbrush ?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
You quick to assume I want a few panels connected for a few hundred kWh supply.

The amount of work it will entail , is worth the time/effort for anyone to come "chat" with me. Also, the head of planning/technical of any business DOES NOT sit all day at site on a job.

Your logic is quite amusing. It seems you learn about things before you buy them. Like your first TV, did you google how to use the remote and operate before purchase ? How about your car , or your electric toothbrush ?
:rolleyes: a few panels will not give you a few hundred kWh supply.

I would really like to see you get someone to come chat with the knowledge that you have no short term plan of actually purchasing, and investing in a solar setup is not the same as buying a toothbrush don't be a knob.

If you didn't investigate about your tv purchase or car purchase then imo you are a bit silly.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
And 2 weeks of itching and feeling horrible after the fact... Think those pumped cellulose guys do a better job for less hassle (given I don't even know where to buy bulk yet!)
Did you even read what I wrote at that url I gave you?

Answers on a postcard to, "nope, i guess not."

Copy and pasting from myself, I'll put it below. Again, lots more detail where I originally wrote it up here -
https://goingsolar.co.za/2016/01/08/being-efficient-roof-insulation-keep-it-cool-in-summer-and-hot-in-winter/

Isotherm (Plastic based)
My personal choice is to recommend Isotherm for insulation. Its basically plastic, so is harmless to work with, and it won’t degrade like other products. Its really easy to work with too. It doesn’t have issues with water either, so is less of an issue with leaks. DIY’ing a roof install with it is fast and easy too. The rolls are light and it pretty much lays itself out when you unroll it. Once again, remember that our Cape Town R value is 3.7, so a minimum of 135mm is recommended. Again, if you can afford thicker rolls do it.

Think Pink (Fibreglass based)
While this offers marginally higher R values than Isotherm, its a pain to work with.
If you’re getting a professional installer to do it, then this is your choice, if you’re DIY’ing – avoid. Needs face masks, and gloves, and makes working in the ceiling space annoying afterwards as the fibreglass gets into your skin. Downsides – its a little worse than Isotherm with regards to water, but nowhere near as bad as cellulose.
Again, recommended thickness is at least 135mm for Cape Town.

Blown paper/ cellulose
(Just say no)
This is usually the cheapest solution. Usually its blown into the air space with a blower and the benefits are that its extremely fast to install. You need to put down at least 3-4 inches though. There are major downsides – while it offers moderate R values initially, it does tend to settle, and the R values reduce somewhat after a few months. It also has bad issues if there is a leak, as it absorbs the water, and the resulting weight can collapse the ceiling boards. Lots of examples of that on google images.
Lastly it also gets everywhere – you’ll be finding bits floating down for years to come.
Avoid.

Some comments on your reply -
1) Isotherm is not fibreglass, so no itching, and safe to handle.
2) Pumped cellulose is crap, and should be avoided - for a few issues; It settles and is then far less effective. When wet is a hazard. Rodents and birds love it.

Please go read what I wrote, I explain in lots of detail.

Last edited:

The_Traveller

Expert Member
:rolleyes: a few panels will not give you a few hundred kWh supply.

I would really like to see you get someone to come chat with the knowledge that you have no short term plan of actually purchasing, and investing in a solar setup is not the same as buying a toothbrush don't be a knob.

If you didn't investigate about your tv purchase or car purchase then imo you are a bit silly.
I think you were born yesterday ( or just Steamy Dom).

It's like building a house, you need an architect to do the designs and plans to go the next step.

You must be an ANC supporter ...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I think you were born yesterday ( or just Steamy Dom).

It's like building a house, you need an architect to do the designs and plans to go the next step.

You must be an ANC supporter ...
Poor example. You definitely don't need an architect to design a house, nor to do the plans. Unless of course you have won the lotto and are prepared to pay a fortune for someone to read the regulations and come up with a design that will cost the earth to build.
I mean look at the nKandla debacle..