(Quote to written off claim) Naked Insurance Review, you asked for my experience, here it is.

EnderZaMan

For those who don't know, Naked is backed/under-written by Hollard insurance.
It is an App/AI based insurance company; it takes around 90 seconds to get quoted. (It seriously does)

This was my first ever car, I was 19 at the stage of quoting, and it was a performance car. (Fiesta ST 2013)

I was shopping around, quoted through Hippo, Take CTRL, and Outsurance.
Outsurance quoted R3,600 per month, can't remember the excess, unfortunately. They weren't interested in reconsidering this price despite me mentioning Naked's quote below.
Budget Insurance was R1,100 with R6500 excess, but this was not taking my age into account, they didn't offer insurance because I was high risk.
One quote through CTRL, King price at R1,245 with ~R6500 excess.

I decided to go with Naked Insurance since their reviews are reasonably good, and they offered the lowest excess and for the monthly premium of R1326, 5 million third party cover.

I started my policy on Wednesday, the 5th of Feb, as instructed by Wesbank. It was effortless to get the confirmation of policy, instant from the app as well.
They requested the photos to add the car fully, obviously didn't have the car yet, so the policy wasn't active.

I picked the car up on Thursday evening. Friday morning, I send the verification selfie/video of preexisting damage and so forth. (Thank god I wasn't in an accident on that Thursday evening on the way home)
I sent the photos, and it said the policy was now active.

Friday evening on the way to show my friends the car, I was at a standstill at the red robot, I get rear-ended and hit I the truck on my left, the damage was pretty bad as the driver was easily going 80+ km/h.

I was in absolute shock because I only had the car for 22 hours, and I Naked's app said they would let me know when the video verified, and I wasn't told yet.
I called for tow truck assistance from the app; they had no issues pulling up my policy, and authorizing the tow truck that was on the scene.

Submitted the claim on Monday, they asked for a video of me explaining the details of the accident (How you'd tell your mom).
The video didn't send through, so they asked for it in text form via email.

I was worried because I wasn't sure if my policy was activated yet, which brought up a lot of questions for me. They were very responsive via email and happy to answer the stupidest questions that I may have had. During the first few days, their response times were within 5-10 minutes, 30 minutes at its most.

They didn't show any signs of alarm seeing as I only had the policy active for 12 hours, this is where I assumed that I was covered as they didn't push me away.

Hollard sent their assessor and deemed the car as a write off sadly.

I'd say that the process was excellent from there, aside from the hiccups, STs retail value is terrible.
I bought the car for 172k (2013), and it was only insured at the retail value, which is 143k. (Naked insurance insures at the full retail price)

They do also offer credit shortfall cover, but I didn't have a shortfall since I had quite a big deposit, which caused me to lose.
I pled my case and provided that the vehicle was in perfect condition after I filed the claim, and they increased the value to 148k, they weren't too harsh on me.

Today, the final figures were sent through, and the payout has been submitted, the delay was mostly on my part because I was trying to determine if I should get my own panel beaters and obtain other information.

Naked also provided me with a pro-rata refund of R1008 for the remainder of February on top of the payout.

If you're interested in Naked.Insurance, I'd definitely recommend it.

I hope this helped!

I want to reiterate, I only successfully activated my policy 12 hours before the accident, and they had no issues paying out/claiming or had any suspicions.

If you have any other questions, feel free to comment below, I hope I covered everything.

Last edited:

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
Just moved over to them, 2nd day of cover and the process so far has been super easy. The app works well and any time I have had to contact them they respond quickly and are always very helpful.

Can't comment on the claims side of things but have seen many responses from others, like yours, that are very positive about claiming. They halved my premium BTW

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I've had them quote me twice and are borderline for me at the moment. A while ago they undercut my current insurer significantly but they subsequently dropped their premium when I kicked back. Definitely keeping an eye on these guys as the process is painless and once it becomes worth the swop, bye bye current.

R4ziel

Expert Member
Just did it quick to calculate my premium, R527 with a 5000 excess, which is A LOT less than other insurers quoted me.

King Price interrogated me about my previous accident to the point where they wanted contact details of the medics involved on the scene, it was an accident with no injuries but medics pitched up, so I told them to go fly a kite, they still sent me a quote of R3900 per month, for a car I am paying R4100 for, so whatever

Naked Insurance will slash my current premium in half and then some

Oh and the app is a breeze to use, seriously amazing!

EnderZaMan

I've had them quote me twice and are borderline for me at the moment. A while ago they undercut my current insurer significantly but they subsequently dropped their premium when I kicked back. Definitely keeping an eye on these guys as the process is painless and once it becomes worth the swop, bye bye current.
Apparently, if you give them your policy number at your current insurer they'll cancel it for you as well, not sure how painless that is either.

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
Apparently, if you give them your policy number at your current insurer they'll cancel it for you as well, not sure how painless that is either.

They helped me with that, was with King Price. They gave me a letter to email King Price, as well as which email addresses to send it to. They give you tips on what to say should your current insurer try to bully you into saying i.e. bad mouth Naked Insurance.

The King Price retention agent was professional with me though, so had no need to put NI on them

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Seems pretty good overall.

Except for paying way too much for that Fiesta ST to start with.

If you can’t insure it for its full value from the day you drive it out the showroom something is wrong somewhere.

EnderZaMan

Seems pretty good overall.

Except for paying way too much for that Fiesta ST to start with.

If you can’t insure it for its full value from the day you drive it out the showroom something is wrong somewhere.
Don't worry, not here to explain why I paid that price.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
I cannot download the App.

It says this app is incompatible with all my devices on my Android App Store...

WTF???

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Don't worry, not here to explain why I paid that price.

Doesn’t really matter why.

If the insurance doesn’t agree with it then it’s not worth it as you’ve now learned taking the loss.

Insured value should always be the same or more than what you paid for it, otherwise it’s a bad deal.

ariz04

Been with Naked insurance for a few months. They undercut Dial Direct by R200 on my 2014 peugeot 208 and my excess is now R1500 instead of R5k +.

Dealing with Naked insurance thus far has been so painless and simple, I would recommend anyone to sign up with them.

Saves you money to boot.

Mistro

Good feedback from OP.

I requested a quote as well, came out way too much, R600 more than current insurance and with R5k excess. I don't have excess prescribed on my current insurance and I have shortfall covered as well.