(Quote to written off claim) Naked Insurance Review, you asked for my experience, here it is.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Well, I might actually consider them now. Sounds painless. I'm just still scared of direct insurance, while I've never had big claims the few small ones I've had with my current broker had always been sorted out quickly and painlessly. Might wait a a year or so and first see the experience of others on here.
Remember to use a referral code when you sign up

Leonsteg

For those who don't know, Naked is backed/under-written by Hollard insurance.
It is an App/AI based insurance company; it takes around 90 seconds to get quoted. (It seriously does)

This was my first ever car, I was 19 at the stage of quoting, and it was a performance car. (Fiesta ST 2013)

I was shopping around, quoted through Hippo, Take CTRL, and Outsurance.
Outsurance quoted R3,600 per month, can't remember the excess, unfortunately. They weren't interested in reconsidering this price despite me mentioning Naked's quote below.
Budget Insurance was R1,100 with R6500 excess, but this was not taking my age into account, they didn't offer insurance because I was high risk.
One quote through CTRL, King price at R1,245 with ~R6500 excess.

I decided to go with Naked Insurance since their reviews are reasonably good, and they offered the lowest excess and for the monthly premium of R1326, 5 million third party cover.

I started my policy on Wednesday, the 5th of Feb, as instructed by Wesbank. It was effortless to get the confirmation of policy, instant from the app as well.
They requested the photos to add the car fully, obviously didn't have the car yet, so the policy wasn't active.

I picked the car up on Thursday evening. Friday morning, I send the verification selfie/video of preexisting damage and so forth. (Thank god I wasn't in an accident on that Thursday evening on the way home)
I sent the photos, and it said the policy was now active.

Friday evening on the way to show my friends the car, I was at a standstill at the red robot, I get rear-ended and hit I the truck on my left, the damage was pretty bad as the driver was easily going 80+ km/h.

I was in absolute shock because I only had the car for 22 hours, and I Naked's app said they would let me know when the video verified, and I wasn't told yet.
I called for tow truck assistance from the app; they had no issues pulling up my policy, and authorizing the tow truck that was on the scene.

Submitted the claim on Monday, they asked for a video of me explaining the details of the accident (How you'd tell your mom).
The video didn't send through, so they asked for it in text form via email.

I was worried because I wasn't sure if my policy was activated yet, which brought up a lot of questions for me. They were very responsive via email and happy to answer the stupidest questions that I may have had. During the first few days, their response times were within 5-10 minutes, 30 minutes at its most.

They didn't show any signs of alarm seeing as I only had the policy active for 12 hours, this is where I assumed that I was covered as they didn't push me away.

Hollard sent their assessor and deemed the car as a write off sadly.

I'd say that the process was excellent from there, aside from the hiccups, STs retail value is terrible.
I bought the car for 172k (2013), and it was only insured at the retail value, which is 143k. (Naked insurance insures at the full retail price)

They do also offer credit shortfall cover, but I didn't have a shortfall since I had quite a big deposit, which caused me to lose.
I pled my case and provided that the vehicle was in perfect condition after I filed the claim, and they increased the value to 148k, they weren't too harsh on me.

Today, the final figures were sent through, and the payout has been submitted, the delay was mostly on my part because I was trying to determine if I should get my own panel beaters and obtain other information.

Naked also provided me with a pro-rata refund of R1008 for the remainder of February on top of the payout.

If you're interested in Naked.Insurance, I'd definitely recommend it.

I hope this helped!

I want to reiterate, I only successfully activated my policy 12 hours before the accident, and they had no issues paying out/claiming or had any suspicions.

If you have any other questions, feel free to comment below, I hope I covered everything.
There reviews on hello Peter not good at all, will recommend a more reputable company.

Archie1

How does annual premium adjustments work?

I have been using quotes from Naked for about three years to lower my own premium with my current insurer, and each year the quote is lower. If I now signup with Naked, do they automatically apply this decrease to my premium as time goes by?

Speedster

Honorary Master
Just over a year with Naked. No claim yet to weigh in on the process.

But I need to replace my clutch, which is more expensive than my excess.

I drive a that is parked during the day at if someone wants to help me out
And you happen to leave the keys at the front desk for a Leonard?

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Just an update from December which I forgot about, they retrieved the loss from the third party, paid back my excess, and removed the claim from my profile.

Currently still insured at the same premium, with lower excess.
Glad you got sorted, but have to say I am sure there is nothing worse than having your first baby get written off so shortly after getting it, that must have been painful, at least they did their part to soften the blow, but wow talk about emotional scarring, lol.

I hope you were able to replace it with something similar?

My worst nightmare is writing off a car shortly after pulling out the dealership, it such a high possibility here in SA, even getting hijacked shortly after getting the car.

Excalibur

Executive Member
Just over a year with Naked. No claim yet to weigh in on the process.

But I need to replace my clutch, which is more expensive than my excess.

I drive a <redacted> that is parked during the day at <redacted> if someone wants to help me out
Try these guys for good prices.

1616244839754.png

airborne

Honorary Master
Glad you got sorted, but have to say I am sure there is nothing worse than having your first baby get written off so shortly after getting it, that must have been painful, at least they did their part to soften the blow, but wow talk about emotional scarring, lol.

My worst nightmare is writing off a car shortly after pulling out the dealership, it such a high possibility here in SA, even getting hijacked shortly after getting the car.
Or just owning any decent 2hnd vehicle in SA, 2hnd prices are insane and then insurers go sorry bro "retail value", so a write off means you lose a good 30-50% of what you paid or what the vehicle is actually worth in the market.

Last edited:

Meister-Man

Expert Member
Or just owning any decent 2hnd vehicle in SA, 2hnd prices are insane and then insures go sorry bro "retail value", so a write means you lose a good 30-50% of what you paid or the vehicle is actually worth.
There is such a thing called top-up or shortfall insurance.
This is additional insurance that will pay you the difference between what you owe the finance house and what the vehicle settlement is.
Not sure if naked insurance offer this.

airborne

Honorary Master
This is additional insurance that will pay you the difference between what you owe the finance house and what the vehicle settlement is.
Yes that is vital if you have it financed but it's just as painful if it's paid off or bought cash.

Exaelea

Yup, they have credit shortfall, one click/tap to activate it on your policy ... and its not a moerse price increase either

EnderZaMan

I did not have credit shortfall enabled, so I lost around 50k in a day that I had to pay in.

I got the same car, a year newer model for the same price I bought the first one for, so no problem. Loving it ever since. Touch wood.

unobeat

Got a letter from my current car insurance (Santam) and they are increasing premiums.

So i did a quick online quote at Naked and they quote came in R350 cheaper than my current insurance.

Contacted outsurance and they are expensive

Checking a few things and might be taking naked insurance.

Shard

Just to add another experience to this thread. My car was stolen mid May 2021. I provided everything as soon as it was possible to provide over the cause of about 3 days.
I'm still waiting on payment even after having signed the agreement for the amount 3 weeks ago. They keep finding a new reason or piece of documentation that you need to provide despite having contractually agreed to payout already.

Whilst this has not had a major impact with working from home, you'd have to think if you could go 2 months before even being able to start the process of getting a new car.

The product is somewhat of a Honeypot trap. Gives you the impression it's super easy to use, then when you need to get something out it gets sticky as hell.

eg2505

Honorary Master
The product is somewhat of a Honeypot trap. Gives you the impression it's super easy to use, then when you need to get something out it gets sticky as hell.
ALL insurance is the same, no matter who you use,
always a case of more money in than out, so getting a quote is easy, payments are easy, all the admin is easy.

when you have to claim, for whatever reason, that's when a good company distinguishes itself from the rest, if they make it easy or not.

so far, ive had to claim for a chip on my windscreen, than in my case, excess costed more than my premium, (entire windscreen) for a chip,
got it fixed at a PG glass for a lot less and was a bit of a run around to get this paid out as cash claim.

I suppose that's part of the fun with insurance, getting them to honor claims is always the not fun bit.
never quite know what you will get, just like a box of chocolates :laugh:

unobeat

Just joined Naked insurance, 1st premium has gone off the account and i guess will see how it goes as the time progress.

All these insurance companies are scams and don't like to honor the contracts by paying out to clients even after all documentation has been submitted.

Mogo

I joined a couple months ago and had to claim about a month back.

I had parked my car in the street and someone reversed into my door on Sunday morning. That evening I submitted the case number and the guys contact details to the insurer.
Monday they acknowledged everything and asked for a video of the damage. An assessor was then assigned by Wednesday. By the weekend they had found quotes and were waiting for approval.

The following Monday it was approved for repair with their chosen panel beater (34k) which is booked for the following day. Just before the close of business, I asked for car rental in which they obliged (rental is part of my cover).

Wednesday I sent my car in, followed by picking up the rental. 3 weeks later my car was ready for collection.

So all in all, the claim process was extremely easy and I had sufficient communication throughout the whole process.

Best part, excess was only R1 500:)

Napalm2880

Expert Member
AFAIK being rear-ended while stationary is one of those rare cases where insurers don't try and put part of the blame on you. It's 100% the fault of the other party.
I got side swiped twice in the space of a year. One incident, my vehicle was parked in my driveway and a drunk lady in my complex drove into it. The second, another woman decided to go into the right-turning lane to skip traffic and then get ahead of me and ended up smashing up the side of my double cab. Despite her admitting guilt, and breaking traffic laws, I was apportioned a % blame and had to pay excess.

Both of these incidents now appear on my history and as a result Outsurance upped my premium by 30% this last year :mad: