(Quote to written off claim) Naked Insurance Review, you asked for my experience, here it is.

Shard

ALL insurance is the same, no matter who you use,
always a case of more money in than out, so getting a quote is easy, payments are easy, all the admin is easy.

when you have to claim, for whatever reason, that's when a good company distinguishes itself from the rest, if they make it easy or not.

so far, ive had to claim for a chip on my windscreen, than in my case, excess costed more than my premium, (entire windscreen) for a chip,
got it fixed at a PG glass for a lot less and was a bit of a run around to get this paid out as cash claim.

I suppose that's part of the fun with insurance, getting them to honor claims is always the not fun bit.
never quite know what you will get, just like a box of chocolates :laugh:
Agreed, just Naked is trying to create the perception its different when its not.
Some questionable claims in its marketing material.

Shard

I joined a couple months ago and had to claim about a month back.

I had parked my car in the street and someone reversed into my door on Sunday morning. That evening I submitted the case number and the guys contact details to the insurer.
Monday they acknowledged everything and asked for a video of the damage. An assessor was then assigned by Wednesday. By the weekend they had found quotes and were waiting for approval.

The following Monday it was approved for repair with their chosen panel beater (34k) which is booked for the following day. Just before the close of business, I asked for car rental in which they obliged (rental is part of my cover).

Wednesday I sent my car in, followed by picking up the rental. 3 weeks later my car was ready for collection.

So all in all, the claim process was extremely easy and I had sufficient communication throughout the whole process.

Best part, excess was only R1 500:)
You set your excess, and it affects your monthly premium.
So this post looks a bit suspect if you're claiming that it was an unexpected positive surprise.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Agreed, just Naked is trying to create the perception its different when its not.
Some questionable claims in its marketing material.
again, do you want to drive around with no insurance, and wreck a Porsche
so some nuisance and inconvenience, is a trade off with a lifetime of pain and suffering to pay back a claim on a Porsche

one just accepts that kind of experience dealing with insurance companies.

Mogo

You set your excess, and it affects your monthly premium.
So this post looks a bit suspect if you're claiming that it was an unexpected positive surprise.
Well considering I had technically only been with them about 3 months, yes pleasantly surprised.

My premium with Naked is also R200 less and excess dropped from R6 500 to R1 500 INCLUDING car hire. This is coming from A&G.

x32

Hi all

Just switched this morning. Where can I see the insured value of my vehicle on the Naked app?

Shard

Hi all

Just switched this morning. Where can I see the insured value of my vehicle on the Naked app?
Don't think they actually tell you, there or on the policy doc, just refers to market value.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I've been with Naked for my car insurance for over 2 years now. I've already claimed once after I came back to my car in a mall parking lot and found a dent in the drivers door. Not sure if it was another car, or a trolley, but it was big enough for me to want to get it fixed. The claims process was painless, they asked for a video of the damage, and the entire claims process and assessment process was handled online. Never had to speak to anyone or meet anyone in person.

The ONLY gripe I had was that I was originally told it would take 10 to 12 days for the damage to be fixed. After I complained about why it would take so long to fix a simple dent, I was then told it would take 3 to 5 days. In the end after I took it to the panelbeater it only took 2 days to fix! So they could definitely improve on communicating and estimating how long it will really take to fix something.

airborne

Honorary Master
wheres can one find the retail value?
If you contact your insurer and request the current retail value they will typically grudgingly give it to you if it's not already stated on your policy. They will have the current retail value on record.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
If you contact your insurer and request the current retail value they will typically grudgingly give it to you if it's not already stated on your policy. They will have the current retail value on record.

The current retail value of your vehicle changes every day, so it's not surprising that it's not stated on your policy.

BTW, insuring for the retail value is much better than market value or trade-in value, which are both typically lower than the retail value.

247 Group cc

For those who don't know, Naked is backed/under-written by Hollard insurance.
It is an App/AI based insurance company; it takes around 90 seconds to get quoted. (It seriously does)

This was my first ever car, I was 19 at the stage of quoting, and it was a performance car. (Fiesta ST 2013)

I was shopping around, quoted through Hippo, Take CTRL, and Outsurance.
Outsurance quoted R3,600 per month, can't remember the excess, unfortunately. They weren't interested in reconsidering this price despite me mentioning Naked's quote below.
Budget Insurance was R1,100 with R6500 excess, but this was not taking my age into account, they didn't offer insurance because I was high risk.
One quote through CTRL, King price at R1,245 with ~R6500 excess.

I decided to go with Naked Insurance since their reviews are reasonably good, and they offered the lowest excess and for the monthly premium of R1326, 5 million third party cover.

I started my policy on Wednesday, the 5th of Feb, as instructed by Wesbank. It was effortless to get the confirmation of policy, instant from the app as well.
They requested the photos to add the car fully, obviously didn't have the car yet, so the policy wasn't active.

I picked the car up on Thursday evening. Friday morning, I send the verification selfie/video of preexisting damage and so forth. (Thank god I wasn't in an accident on that Thursday evening on the way home)
I sent the photos, and it said the policy was now active.

Friday evening on the way to show my friends the car, I was at a standstill at the red robot, I get rear-ended and hit I the truck on my left, the damage was pretty bad as the driver was easily going 80+ km/h.

I was in absolute shock because I only had the car for 22 hours, and I Naked's app said they would let me know when the video verified, and I wasn't told yet.
I called for tow truck assistance from the app; they had no issues pulling up my policy, and authorizing the tow truck that was on the scene.

Submitted the claim on Monday, they asked for a video of me explaining the details of the accident (How you'd tell your mom).
The video didn't send through, so they asked for it in text form via email.

I was worried because I wasn't sure if my policy was activated yet, which brought up a lot of questions for me. They were very responsive via email and happy to answer the stupidest questions that I may have had. During the first few days, their response times were within 5-10 minutes, 30 minutes at its most.

They didn't show any signs of alarm seeing as I only had the policy active for 12 hours, this is where I assumed that I was covered as they didn't push me away.

Hollard sent their assessor and deemed the car as a write off sadly.

I'd say that the process was excellent from there, aside from the hiccups, STs retail value is terrible.
I bought the car for 172k (2013), and it was only insured at the retail value, which is 143k. (Naked insurance insures at the full retail price)

They do also offer credit shortfall cover, but I didn't have a shortfall since I had quite a big deposit, which caused me to lose.
I pled my case and provided that the vehicle was in perfect condition after I filed the claim, and they increased the value to 148k, they weren't too harsh on me.

Today, the final figures were sent through, and the payout has been submitted, the delay was mostly on my part because I was trying to determine if I should get my own panel beaters and obtain other information.

Naked also provided me with a pro-rata refund of R1008 for the remainder of February on top of the payout.

If you're interested in Naked.Insurance, I'd definitely recommend it.

I hope this helped!

I want to reiterate, I only successfully activated my policy 12 hours before the accident, and they had no issues paying out/claiming or had any suspicions.

If you have any other questions, feel free to comment below, I hope I covered everything.
I put a claim in and waiting almost two months for them to settle , They are trying everything in their power not to give me a full payout .My inverter blew and it has 4 x deep cycle batteries on it that also git damaged According to them the batteries won't get damaged ???
Paid out R9700 from a R23 000 claim.

Silversurfer za

My experience using Naked;

On Monday 13 September I was involved in an accident with my bakkie, fast forward to 5 October the vehicle is a write-off. On 7 October I'm informed that the claim will have to undergo a validation process and an investigator will be in contact with me to gather some documents and do an interview. This should take around 10 days according to Naked. I'm only contacted on 11 October for said information. By 13 October the interview was done and all requested info was supplied. The investigator told me that come Monday 18 October he will be done and I can then settle the claim with Naked. The validation process is still not complete, I've been without a vehicle for over a month and I'm still paying insurance and the vehicle installment for a vehicle that is not in my possession anymore. Maybe I need to get the bank involved seeing as the vehicle still belongs to them. Judging by some of the reviews on Hello Peter the settlement process also takes an unnecessary amount of time. Don't even bother phoning, no one answers. Email responses are drawn and take too long for a response.

Everything is wonderful till you have to claim.

"Service" stinks! Stay away.

Update 25 October:

On Friday 22 October I received an email from Bailee requesting certain documents which were duly completed and sent back. I was to be kept up to date on progress throughout the day. I followed up a couple of times during the day not receiving any feedback. By 6 pm I received an email from Yanga telling me that the settlement letter has to be sent from the bank and not from my email. No problem, I understand there are issues with fraud.

This morning I confirmed with the bank that the settlement was sent to Naked last week already. Why is it that I'm being given the run-around and lied to? I've been waiting for days for Bailee to contact me. In the meantime, I'm probably going to pay another installment on a written-off vehicle because Naked cannot sort out this simple claim.

Disgusted!

airborne

Honorary Master
^ Did you have the car hire option?
Its normally a really cheap add-on with app based insurance, you'd be silly not to have it active.

I've had a similar experience with app based insurance, contact only via chat/email and lord help you if your assigned agent is useless because you will be tearing your hair out and have no other recourse or way to escalate the issue.