Quoted R4,000 to replace HDD - iStore Sandton Drive

manu55

Long story short:

Macbook Pro 2011 15" has been turning off a lot, and I took it to the Sandton Drive iStore. Firstly, their service SUCKS. You have to book to speak to a consultant, but they dont even bother with a schedule so you are wasting your time. Waited in line for 20 mins, nobody greeted me or gave a crap. Eventually, the service consultant listened to my problem, ran a video diagnostics kit, and it failed. Perfect. I knew the problem, Apple now knew the problem, and my concern was confirmed. Awesome. Send it in for repairs, wait for a quote, the usual.

They took 4 days to get back to me, and quoted me R4,000 FOKKING RAND to replace a HDD (500GB mechanical) Apart from the fact that I had a 512GB SSD installed already, not older than 2 months.

Now I am obviously pissed, because the SSD is brand new, has a 5 year warranty, but the fact that Core had the balls to quote me R4,000 to replace a 500GB HDD? I am outraged... FUMING to say the least. The SSD is NOT the problem.

There has actually been a worldwide issue with 2011 Macbook Pro's relating specifically to the GPU and apple using lead free solder. They even had a replacement program.

Their technicians clearly didn't do their jobs or even bother to do a diagnostics on the GPU. They said, ah *** it its just probably the HDD.

Now I will probably have to wait another 4 days for a reply.

Apart from the fact that a replacement MacBook pro costs R40k, I am moving back to windows. Can't take this crap anymore.

bwana

MyBroadband
Then the title is misleading, as well as his highlighted text.
I agree.

Perhaps it's fairer to say he had a problem with the cost of replacing a hard drive that didn't need replacing and that they didn't bother with the GPU… oh, and no one greeted him?

LumexClipsal

Banned
Well - at least there's the silver lining of you realizing the error in your ways, admitting it and acknowledging you need to do something about it. A move to a Windows based device is the best outcome here.

agentrfr

Expert Member
OP buys a mac, finds out he's getting shafted on hardware prices.

Then complains.

The mind boggles.

However OP, good on you for using a better OS. Why not try Linux while you're at it? Mint is gooooood.....

bwana

MyBroadband
If it's the GPU it's most likely covered until the end of the year under the MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program.

manu55

I think the gist of his rant is that they misdiagnosed his problem.
The gist of my rant is that they are charging exorbitant rates to replace a HDD that costs R800 max. And yes, they also did not diagnose the problem correctly.

manu55

OP buys a mac, finds out he's getting shafted on hardware prices.

Then complains.

The mind boggles.

However OP, good on you for using a better OS. Why not try Linux while you're at it? Mint is gooooood.....
Bought my Mac in 2011... I'm complaining about CORE and their pathetic and expensive service. More of a PSA than anything else.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
2011 macbook pro.... so yeah out of warranty
There is a special extended "recall" warranty if you will to replace the logic board on GPU fried 2011's.

That's what Bwana is pointing out.

Wouldn't be surprised if Core is sneaking a motherboard in there with the HDD just to make a buck and the problem goes away.

manu55

There is a special extended "recall" warranty if you will to replace the logic board on GPU fried 2011's.

That's what Bwana is pointing out.

Wouldn't be surprised if Core is sneaking a motherboard in there with the HDD just to make a buck and the problem goes away.
Dude you totally called it. Got an email from Core this morning... Apparently Logic board was replaced (which they never disclosed) and no answer as to why the HDD replacement will cost R4,000.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Dude you totally called. Got an email from Core this morning... Apparently Logic board was replaced (which they never disclosed) and no answer as to why the HDD replacement will cost R4,000.
Not even slightly surprised.

Start using Digicape if you can.

manu55

Disgusting.

@OP: howzit pal.
Wellll if they expect people to drop R48k for a new laptop yes some people would find the lack of ANY service disturbing. Plus also the fact that they require you to book a time with the service people, and don't even adhere to it. Crap service