R1.2 billion Johannesburg fibre project gains ground

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Once all these networks we read about start making there way into homes Telkom's days will be numbered....

Techno Farmer

Telkom's days are already numbered. When these networks start making their way into homes, telkom will die swiftly

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
Can I get something straight here:

These Fibre Networks, wont they need IPConnect Like ADSL ISP's in South Africa? Why or Why not?

If they do not need this IPConnect, then Telkom is more determined to die...

Prof.Merlin

Expert Member
No, they will not need IPC. IPC is only for adsl. Since this is not a telkom service, run on telkom's network or anything to do with telkom, no IPC is needed.

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
No, they will not need IPC. IPC is only for adsl. Since this is not a telkom service, run on telkom's network or anything to do with telkom, no IPC is needed.

Great! So, will fibre to home connections be as affordable as ADSL or even cheaper?

I assume on these Fibre connections, you can also make phone calls (or use VOIP).

Telkom will die :D

jikajoe1

i still fail to understand why Telkom is not taking the lead in this country in terms of innovation and offering world class products, maybe this has to do with politics and lack of skilled leadership.

zamicro

Expert Member
i still fail to understand why Telkom is not taking the lead in this country in terms of innovation and offering world class products, maybe this has to do with politics and lack of skilled leadership.

If I were in charge of the decisions, I would have deployed fibre to customer a lot sooner. Even if it meant stringing it along the current telephone poles.

MickeyD

RIP
i still fail to understand why Telkom is not taking the lead in this country in terms of innovation and offering world class products, maybe this has to do with politics[-] and lack of skilled leadership.[/]
Govt must sell it's stake in all telcos. Only then will you be able to judge the leadership. Massive interference currently....

The Trutherizer

Executive Member

A newcomer! How refreshing :) But it is the right question.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member

As for the answer... In my honest opinion Telkom represent an exploitable asset to the powers that be and they are milking it for all it is worth. And I'm pretty sure with Telkom out of the way ICASA will still continue with it's bogus percentage of profits before tax licencing scheme to make sure the next communications indaba is twice as big as the last one and we keep on paying more than a fair price.

Paul_S

Expert Member
DFA have pretty good coverage even into a lot of residential suburbs in JHB/PTA/CPT.
Has anyone ever seen some example pricing for Dark Fibre Africa?
Installation costs, price per kilometer per fibre pair type pricing.

icyrus

Executive Member
DFA have pretty good coverage even into a lot of residential suburbs in JHB/PTA/CPT.
Has anyone ever seen some example pricing for Dark Fibre Africa?
Installation costs, price per kilometer per fibre pair type pricing.

R5 / meter per pair in general.

DFA's network is not designed for FTTH/C.

SteveO

Expert Member

Isnt DFA a purely passive provider, ie you need to buy your own equipment to light up the fibre you lease?

Paul_S

Expert Member

Ouch! That probably explains why ISP's haven't tried to offer consumer services using DFA for last mile connectivity.