R1-billion South African electronics factory closing down - Here's what happened

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
There was also Leratadima Tellumat who was producing the DTT STB's. They just closed their doors about a month or so ago.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Some valid points , esp on the skills requirement
But if you need anyone with some skills , being in East London is just going to make it harder just from a availability pov

Going from 2 factory lines to 10 and not being able to keep them busy just sounds like a fubar business case
Not sure what skills you are thinking of, but there are plenty manufacturing outfits in EL. Cost of living is favourable too.

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Has anyone seen a Yekani-branded smartphone or laptop for sale by a retailer? Or do you know someone who owns one?

It can be an interesting article for us to pursue if they failed to produce any laptops or smartphones while they were open.

Any feedback on this will be appreciated. I see a few comments stating they did not produce a single unit.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Has anyone seen a Yekani-branded smartphone or laptop for sale by a retailer? Or do you know someone who owns one?

It can be an interesting article for us to pursue if they failed to produce any laptops or smartphones while they were open.

Any feedback on this will be appreciated. I see a few comments stating they did not produce a single unit.
I've not seen a single thing they ever produced.

:D

Swa

Honorary Master
Don't think they ever produced any branded stuff. Perhaps a few STBs and decoders for Multichoice.

Daruk

Honorary Master

Good question. Anyone know any staff who worked there? Seems like a simple 'run with the funds' setup. Quite an elaborate way to go about it actually.

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
I don't have concrete proof, but they had never produced a single smartphone, tablet or laptop. The bulk of their production lines whilst installed never ran anything. They had a clean room setup to produce for the automotive industry, also never ran a single product.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I don't have concrete proof, but they had never produced a single smartphone, tablet or laptop. The bulk of their production lines whilst installed never ran anything. They had a clean room setup to produce for the automotive industry, also never ran a single product.
Sounds about right.

Sensorei

Executive Member
Obviously sabotaged by white monopoly capital apartheid agents, to undermine the great success of black economic empowerment and decolonisation of South Africa.

Pitbull

Verboten
Slightly flawed but similar logic, 60 unit seconds make a minutes whereas 100 unit cents makes a rand.
How is it flawed? He's providing a simple example of the difference between 1 000 000 and 1 000 000 000. Units are irrelevant as the example uses set figures. 1 000 000 doesn't become more or less because you break it up into smaller units. It's still 1 000 000 vs 1 000 000 000...

Btw, the poster didn't say R 1 000 000. He explained the difference between 1mil and 1bil.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
How is it flawed? He's providing a simple example of the difference between 1 000 000 and 1 000 000 000. Units are irrelevant as the example uses set figures. 1 000 000 doesn't become more or less because you break it up into smaller units. It's still 1 000 000 vs 1 000 000 000...

Btw, the poster didn't say R 1 000 000. He explained the difference between 1mil and 1bil.
You're overreacting, I already specified it was logically sound. The slight (which i clearly originally indicated) flaw is the unit time used, although it conveys the sense of highlighting the appreciation in the difference of magnitude, in the context of this thread that specifically highlights unit currency used in the primary topic (R1 billion business value, not 1 billion seconds of worker time), the example obfuscates the real value difference in magnitude that was being projected between each unit level naming scheme. 60 unit seconds is 1 minute, but 60 unit cents is still 40 cents short of a unit rand. 60 unit minutes is 1 hour, but 60 unit rand is 40 rand short of 100 rand. 24 unit hours is 1 day, 365 (plus the occasional leap year) days is 1 year, etc, as opposed to 100 cents is 1 rand. So the logic is fine, but the unit type are not quite equitable for a true reflection in a difference of scale.

Imagine trying to indicate the difference of scale for kelvin temperature while trying to use fahrenheit as the example unit of measurement.