R186 billion in irregular expenditure from South African municipalities in a decade

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Stealing without consequences — R186 billion gone from South African municipalities in a decade

Over the last decade, R186 billion disappeared out of the accounts of South African municipalities because of irregular expenditure.

This is revealed by the Municipal Finance Management Act (MFMA) reports from the Auditor-General.

Auditor-General Tsakani Maluleke recently revealed that there was R26 billion in irregular expenditure at municipalities in the 2019/2020 financial year.

The actual figure can be much higher as the financial statements from some municipalities were not credible, while others did not submit their statements in time for the audit.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
These dismal results are no surprise considering the lack of suitably skilled officials at municipalities.

Maluleke said many municipalities rely on consultants, who were paid R1 billion in the 2020 financial year, to put basic financial statements together.

Even with the help of consultants some of these municipalities could still not produce financial statements which were suitable to be audited.

There's absolutely no reason for such municipalities to exist, they should be dissolved into other functional municipalities.

Gazg

Angazi.........dont know where it went (puzzled look on face)

rh1

Expert Member
Inequality did this
All inequality did was to determine your starting point in life, it does not determine where you end up. It gives you less opportunities, but that is why you have to make those opportunities count.

It should not affect your morals and values.

But hey, it is a easy copout, I did not succeed because of xxxxxxxx.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
All inequality did was to determine your starting point in life, it does not determine where you end up. It gives you less opportunities, but that is why you have to make those opportunities count.

It should not affect your morals and values.

But hey, it is a easy copout, I did not succeed because of xxxxxxxx.
You have to differenciate between a well functioning monetary system and a non functioning one.
-Functioning:Drug addicts and severe lazy people have a problem.
-Non Functioning:The whole middle class & poor has a problem, the machine is condammed, like swinng a race in poo.

SilverCode

There's absolutely no reason for such municipalities to exist, they should be dissolved into other functional municipalities.
This is great in theory, but in practice the people running the dysfunctional municipality then end up running the formally functioning municipality. Saw it happen in my old neighborhood. Because some of the small municipalities were failing, they merged all the functioning and non functioning ones into one large one. The non functioning ones brought the most people into the mix and thus "ruled the roost". Needeless to say there is now just 1 big dysfunctional municipality.

lkswan747

Expert Member
If only the maths pass mark was not 30% then maybe the gravity of the theft would be appreciated! Hey, even a former president of this country couldn't count properly. :mad::mad:

karnuffel

Expert Member
Is billion the number with an extra zero and currency as you wrote it here or visa versa? I always get confuse.
Lol wait what? You are confusing me now… 1 billion has 9 zeros, where is the extra one? Or is this my 30% mathemetatics failing me here.

EDIT: just a note, Im running on very litte sleep here, so I dont take any responsibilty for any kark I post