R186 billion in irregular expenditure from South African municipalities in a decade

holler

Fark, that's a lot of money.

To put it in perspective as human beings we suck when it comes to large amounts:
Imagine getting paid R1m every day for 509 years and still have some money left! That's enough money for your great-great-great-great-great grandchildren to still get some of that R1m every month still (working on average 70 years for a human life).

And people why the large Bitcoin and pyramid scams take place in South Africa...too much illicit money going around and looking for ways to get it laundered.

Gudnews

Expert Member
Sadly I believe the money that wasn't stolen was actually enough to carry out functions needed by us. Corruption doesn't necessarily prevent service delivery, incompetence does.

Mekon

Expert Member
ANC excellence hard at work here. Nothing to see taxpayers, move on, keep voting for us and we'll keep failing as a government.

The Darkness

Expert Member
lets write that number shall we:
R186 000 000 000

Sickening
Rather it is one hundred and eighty-six THOUSAND MLIION Rands. It's a jaw-dropping amount of money. I'm sick of these euphemisms all the time. It's not "irregular expenditure". It's THEFT. Our hard-earned, paid for by the taxpayers' money. Stolen. It could have been pumped back into growth, infrastructure, healthcare, schooling, community projects. It's sickening to think we could be such a great and powerful nation had we properly focussed on education and business growth and stimulus. Instead, this communist vision took hold, and enslaved the masses through grants and 'free' housing.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
You know how when you drive around seeing people driving brand new cars and you wonder how they can afford them. Well I'm sure this is one reason.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
There's absolutely no reason for such municipalities to exist, they should be dissolved into other functional municipalities.

Nah, there is every reason for those municipalities to exist.

We need to stop this concept of collapsing "dysfunctional" entities into functional ones and making these big monolithic municipalities.
What needs to happen is proper accounting controls, and for the people who are in contravention of the laws to actually be charged and jailed. Until there are proper consequences for these behaviours we will not stop them.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
So this is good news:

Good news is that the Auditor General has been given powers to intervene where it sees serious irregularities.

In the past, the Auditor General could only present its audit findings and recommendations to the municipality.

Municipal managers failed to act on the recommendations, which means there were no consequences for the perpetrators.

The Public Audit Amendment Act, promulgated in April 2019, changed that.

The Auditor-General can now refer suspected irregularities to relevant public bodies, including the Hawks, Public Protector, and the police, for further investigation.

It can also implement remedial action should the authority ignore or not adequately implement its recommendations.

...but what kind of bite does this actually represent and is this the only recourse available to the public?

Does anyone know?

That number is sickening.

Brontosaurus

Expert Member
ANC excellence hard at work here. Nothing to see taxpayers, move on, keep voting for us and we'll keep failing as a government.

You make the big mistake of thinking anyone who actually pays tax votes for the leading party.

Brontosaurus

Expert Member
So this is good news:

...but what kind of bite does this actually represent and is this the only recourse available to the public?

Does anyone know?

That number is sickening.

Not really. It's just more taxpayer money which gets spent on bullschit "ad hoc committees" and investigations by people who have about as much integrity as a slice of american cheese.

I get you suffixed your statement with a "but.." but there hasn't been a single person put in orange overalls. It's just more smoke and mirrors and more zero accountability.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Not really. It's just more taxpayer money which gets spent on bullschit "ad hoc committees" and investigations by people who have about as much integrity as a slice of american cheese.

I get you suffixed your statement with a "but.." but there hasn't been a single person put in orange overalls. It's just more smoke and mirrors and more zero accountability.
I know but there must be something that can be done?

Slegdehammer67

This is exactly what happens when you have - 'All the authority BUT no responsibility'

Now try this, stop paying your taxes - you'll be behind bars before you can say, Jacob Zuma!
Yet, these motherfkuers got away with it and are still getting away with fcuking murder! I rest my case, your Honour...

Last edited: