R213 million cost for digital TV migration extension

lroachl

Atrapitis.gif

grok

Honorary Master
What they said ..

Missing the SADC deadline for the switch-off of analogue broadcasts will cost Sentech an additional R213 million

what they really meant to say ..

The ANC's policy of incompetent cadre deployment has just cost the taxpayer an additional R213 million

Marcan

This mere R213 million just pales if you compare the more than R2 billion that's already spent on Digtal Dzonga, Go Digital and the upgrading of the Sentech towers. And the latest June estimate of R2.7 billion subsidy for the poor for the locally produced STBs, up from R2.4 billion in March. And as has been argued on my BB before, just using satellites would probably cost a fraction of all this. Yes , DTT would be nice for the urban centres, but the way government , Sentech is implementing it in such a complicated and expensive fashion, with such enormous delays, really it seems all not worth it.
Sentech and SABC, together with Telkom and Eskom should simply be privatised, sold and whatever they get for it, should be transferred to SANRAL for the GFIP. So the whole E tolling can be scrapped.

Last edited:

BGE

Expert Member
So Telkom's fine will finance SANRAL for another 6 months and pay the digital TV migration extension...

For once... thank you Telkom! :twisted:

Beam

And yet when I opined in a 2010 feature on digital terrestrial broadcasting rollout in SA that the planned switch-on of the system "in time for the 2010 World Cup" as a few of the high-ups at our official broadcasting authority were claiming was unrealistic and absolute pie-in-the-sky, I got a comprehensive tongue-lashing from the official who had set up the interviews for me for not reporting on fact but rather on unproven postulations... Yet here we are in 2012 and STILL saying "maybe soon we'll be ready". Laughable.

Marcan

So Telkom's fine will finance SANRAL for another 6 months and pay the digital TV migration extension...

For once... thank you Telkom! :twisted:
I like your logic, Pravin Gordhan must be a bit creative and start thinking out of the box.

Last edited:

Sapphiron

Expert Member
So we wont get LTE spectrum untill 2016 then. as the analog signal uses some of the same spectrum.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
What? Only R0.25bil? What are they complaining about? The tax coffers are bottomless! Everybody knows that...

Bern

Expert Member
Aren't we sort of the guys calling the shots in the group, yet we are the country not ready. Kind of embarrassing.

j4ck455

Executive Member
The committee should tell Sentech's CEO "no problem, the R213m will be funded by pay decreases at Sentech, ICASA and the DoC, when do you need your first decrease?"

zamicro

Expert Member
As a member of the ITU, South Africa’s current commitment is to complete its digital migration by 17 June 2015 Phiri told the committee.

So tomorrow this will not be the commitment anymore?