R27 per month BlackBerry Internet Service launched by Cell C

sox63

Executive Member
Hang on, didnt 8ta just do the same? But at like 30 bucks or something? Its great for people that have one email address I guess.

falcon786

Honorary Master
Hang on, didnt 8ta just do the same? But at like 30 bucks or something? Its great for people that have one email address I guess.

Most bb people only have one email address anyway and some only got email when they got a bb so I can really see this becoming popular especially with the youth.

The R27 offer would probably be popular with new entrants and the R37 with people that dont want to change their existing single email address.

N.B just thought of something for people like me with more than one email address,let all your mail boxes sync into gmail and use that as your primary single address...when sending from gmail it allows you to choose which mailbox to send from also.

Ive been doing it for years and gmail handles it very very well

Last edited:

Fox1

Executive Member
Conspiracy Theory: Is RIM pumping up the BIS subscriber base to attract a buyout?

Yuu

Executive Member
I will be changing to the R27 option as i use another device for Gmail etc. Saving nearly 50% on the BB service feels good :)

Now where is that damn contract options supposed to be announced today :D

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

Yeah. Cell C's equivalent to that offer is R37/month (includes one web mail account).

Conspiracy Theory: Is RIM pumping up the BIS subscriber base to attract a buyout?

Heh. Well these deals are getting a push from RIM SA. Tech journos around the country got a bag with three Bar Ones in them: small, medium and large.

The payoff line on the included pamphlet reads: "The new BlackBerry plans... guaranteed to satisfy everyone, whatever their tastes."

Lydon

Expert Member
Gotta love competition.

Now someone cut the price of smartphone data bundles!

twicode

Expert Member
I am very tempted to get one when my contract expires.
I can set forwarding in gmail to that blackberry mail. Will work out well.
Only issue is my twitter feel tweeters I follow always have links to external sites in their tweets. Blocking external sites will then not make sense for my twitter use.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
it would be interesting to see if Vodacom and mtn jump on this as well.

They'd be foolish not to.

Randux

Expert Member
Nice. Now Cell C focus on normal data bundles there's alotta money to be made there.

Electron1

Expert Member
Nice one Cell-C, beating 8ta on Price as well. Just need someone from Cell-C to clarify, can one use a gmail account.
It seem from the article that it only allows a username@cellc.blackberry.com email address - is this correct?

Polo786

8ta better deal

I will be changing to the R27 option as i use another device for Gmail etc. Saving nearly 50% on the BB service feels good :)

Now where is that damn contract options supposed to be announced today :D

With 8ta u can use 1 web based email for R30. I think 8ta has a better deal. You can have 1 web based email plus 1 blackberry email.

Last edited:

ogb.bob

BlackBerry Curve 8520 for R899!!!
If Blackberry were smart and less greedy they would lower the price of their entry level phone; the BlackBerry Curve 8520 to about R899 or less, to compete directly with the Nokia Asha and Samsung’s cheaper smart phones. This would make smart phones available to a much broader range of users in the country. New BB users can then bolt on one these cheaper BB packages from Vodacom or Cell C.

BB should follow this aggressive pricing structure in all 3rd world regions and focus on improving its more high tech BB phones for 1st world regions in an attempt to compete with Samsung and Apple. This would ensure BB's dominance in 3rd world countries would remain safe regardless of the threat of better tech phones from Samsung, Apple, Nokia and the likes (Android, Windows 8 etc) . It would also provide BB with an easy source of cash liquidity while it attempts to sort out its issues around decline in the higher tech smart phone space, where the real money lies. Lower entry level price would put further pressure on younger users and high volume messaging users (parents included) to stick with BB for the BBM service. It will strengthen the case for people to believe that “My friends\Kids have a BB so I need one too so I can keep in touch with them”. The need for people to fit in with the “BB” crowd is strong, regardless of the fact that most users understand that other smart phones are better than BB and other messaging services exist and are probably cheaper.

BB however seems too greedy to make a move like this and is guaranteed to see decline in 3rd world countries as the prices of Android devices gets cheaper over time as well as the fact that mobile broadband is getting cheaper as well, thus lessening the need for services like BIS.

The BlackBerry Curve 8520 is a piece of crap anyways and not worth the asking price that it being sold for (R1500 - R1900). In fact I’m sure BB have already recovered any initial investment, broken even and profited hugely from the 8520 and could lower the price without losses.

Samsung did the same thing with Samsung E250, its asking price remained over R1000 for years then went below R1000 today they sell for R350 (if they're still available). See http://www.news24.com/SciTech/News/Samsung-E250-is-SA-top-seller-20120227

Boris Becker

Expert Member
In one way this is good as it will increase internet penetration in SA, but on the other hand fck it's gonna increase BB popularity :mad:

How about some decent data packages for smart phones for all types of users (contract, prepaid)

upup

Executive Member
yes f.... all other smart phone users.
We use MTN R29 for facebook and twitter, and email is not that much mb.

Even if crab berries comes at half price and the BB service is for free, would still go for a decent phone.
That is, in South Africa.

The Door

Honorary Master
N.B just thought of something for people like me with more than one email address,let all your mail boxes sync into gmail and use that as your primary single address...when sending from gmail it allows you to choose which mailbox to send from also.

Ive been doing it for years and gmail handles it very very well
YES! :)