R30 BlackBerry Internet Service deal announced

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
So since I have only 1 Gmail account, which I access with the browser, this service will for me be EXACTLY the same as the full R59 BIS service?

AniV

Expert Member
Wowee.. might have to look into this and consider moving to it.
I am on the R60 BIS but I do only use 1 webmail account on my device anyway.

Why not - when you can just route all your webmail accounts to a single account (like gmail) and then link that single webmail account to your BB? I would like to make sure that all my other apps will still work.
I use Twitter, WhatsApp, GoogleTalk, Dropbox, Shazam and some other assorted apps, like a weather app. If a fair amount of these were supported on the R30 deal, then there's no reason to NOT switch to it.

Great job 8ta! You guys rock.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
And also, do we still get 500MB normal data along with this package? Why is the article so lacking of information?

IRVING

This offer will be available from Sunday 17 June 2012 at 8ta flagships stores and Telkom Direct stores, 8ta said.

Wait, so you don't just activate it like you do with the normal BIS?

So if you have been using one email account can it really be half the price for the same thing?

techead

Honorary Master
because Blackberry users really need this... Ignore the rest of the smartphone market

:wtf:

FrankCastle

Executive Member
So since I have only 1 Gmail account, which I access with the browser, this service will for me be EXACTLY the same as the full R59 BIS service?

Yip.

BIS at half the price.

8ta rocks..

According to the 8ta press statement announcing the deal, the main difference between it and the full BIS offering is that only one web-based e-mail account is allowed instead of 10.

Pavan

Expert Member
8ta loves picking up low arpu customers... once again they'll pick up the scraps from the low lsm prepaid market who will be using the cheapest and most popular BB in south africa. Whats the odds of these customers contributing significantly to voice profits where the real margins currently are? Good for SA consumer, but a risky move by 8ta to continuously try to compete solely on price and showing no confidence in their value proposition as a network operator. Cell C's 99c international call deals don't generate low margin minutes of use as one would think - their wholesale voice agreements with international carriers and international interconnect rates to those regions are extremely low. So the proposition seems as it's driven purely on price (and to the customer it is), but behind the scenes Cell C have innovatively come up with ways to deal with this expectation from the consumer (always wanted the cheapest) and to drive the boards expectations of higher margins.

8ta - take some tips from Cell C!

prodigyX

"R30 BlackBerry Internet Service" - Sh*tiest mobile internet experience, now half the price

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
I wonder if you can use WhatsApp and Google Talk.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
because Blackberry users really need this... Ignore the rest of the smartphone market

:wtf:

Other smart phones can use the 2+1 deal (or its variants)

If you are suggesting that 8ta open up the BB service to other smartphones then go sit in the corner.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
It is a big risk for 8ta but I think it will pay off in thousands of ways:

(1) 8ta needs to get enterprise clients, having some BB clout accompanied with their closed user group accounts makes this possible. Now this product should get 8ta lots of BB customers (yes they may be low spend consumers) and should enable them to both negotiate with BB and to convince enterprise clients for whom BB enterprise isn't what they want instead simply needing consumer BB to join up with 8ta.

(2) Whilst a lot of BB users are "low spend" on voice et al a lot of BB bunnies are stupid fad following twits. The sort of twits who spend R50 to have nonsense sent to their phones. Getting a lot of these teenagers to go over to 8ta gives 8ta the ability to (a) derive revenue from this spend and (b) ensure that all the little vampires who deliver these services join onto the 8ta ship.

(3) BB is still "cool" in SA. Whether BB dies or caves into opening itself onto Android systems is still to be seen. The point is that been linked to BB is good for marketing all round.

(4) Being at the forefront of cheap communications makes 8ta a poster child for social improvement through technology.

Personally I don't believe that RIM is dead or even dying, they are at the stage in technology companies cycle of needing to weather decline and build into the next round of existence. I suspect that a large part of RIMs future lies in becoming a SaaS provider in the enterprise mobile applications field and that we will see them bringing out a range of Android apps and VPN orientated server systems for medium sized enterprises.

LFX

Expert Member
sounds too good to be true . . .

i will wait for feedback from shipjumpers before taking the plunge . . . definitely interested though

Pavan

Expert Member
It is a big risk for 8ta but I think it will pay off in thousands of ways:

(1) 8ta needs to get enterprise clients, having some BB clout accompanied with their closed user group accounts makes this possible. Now this product should get 8ta lots of BB customers (yes they may be low spend consumers) and should enable them to both negotiate with BB and to convince enterprise clients for whom BB enterprise isn't what they want instead simply needing consumer BB to join up with 8ta.

(2) Whilst a lot of BB users are "low spend" on voice et al a lot of BB bunnies are stupid fad following twits. The sort of twits who spend R50 to have nonsense sent to their phones. Getting a lot of these teenagers to go over to 8ta gives 8ta the ability to (a) derive revenue from this spend and (b) ensure that all the little vampires who deliver these services join onto the 8ta ship.

(3) BB is still "cool" in SA. Whether BB dies or caves into opening itself onto Android systems is still to be seen. The point is that been linked to BB is good for marketing all round.

(4) Being at the forefront of cheap communications makes 8ta a poster child for social improvement through technology.

Personally I don't believe that RIM is dead or even dying, they are at the stage in technology companies cycle of needing to weather decline and build into the next round of existence. I suspect that a large part of RIMs future lies in becoming a SaaS provider in the enterprise mobile applications field and that we will see them bringing out a range of Android apps and VPN orientated server systems for medium sized enterprises.

I agree with most of what you say and I understand this tactic well. With regards to gaining grounds in the enterprise sector - the true value proposition here would be FMC. If Telkom could offer this with their mobile arm, then they'd have something special - Fixed Line, Mobile, VoIP/SIP,etc. A lot of telco's are looking into enterprise mobility services and RIM as an enterprise champion is fading. Security, expense management, DPI facilities etc. could all be accomplished through such mobility solutions as low rates per user - supporting all/most devices and all popular platforms. This sort of low-cost BIS can easilty be achieved through existing enterprise partners with some negotiation (and now reaction) and enterprises do not churn like us fickle consumers looking for the best deal.

I don't think this will attract massive enterprise acquisition. This will only be possible with FMC and such endeavours.

On the teenage-market side, you're spot on. But think of the customers you acquire and their churn rate - come the next promotion and that R50 you speak of is gone to the competitor.

MickeyD

RIP
I agree with most of what you say and I understand this tactic well. With regards to gaining grounds in the enterprise sector - the true value proposition here would be FMC.
They do offer it... just not marketed well enough yet.