R30 BlackBerry Internet Service deal announced

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Well fully - which is why I think it will pay off rather than "know" - it is a gutsy move and it needs to be backed up by other initiatives and planning.

Ja the twits can jump ship very easily but even with just a 10% retention rate the benefits arise - also with 8ta's catchy tunes and emo adverts they are making a course to compete with VC and MTN in the brandname zone.

8ta's ability to offer convergence by being a subsidiary of Telkom - and several of their products are doing this. Obviously this particular deal offers nothing of the sort in itself - except that 8ta contracts can phone home to a Telkom line for free. My view is not that this makes the case for enterprise users in itself - from my limited looking at the subject the closed user group proposition does - but what it does help with is establishing a case for migrating employees (many of whom are being funded with a Blackberry subscription and on say 30 contracts represents R900 savings a month added to the closed user group savings looks good for a business unit of 60 people etc ...) with contracts from the enterprise to 8ta. Honestly BES at the moment offers no enterprise advantages and of course this product I assume is exclusively for BIS.

What I believe will secure 8ta's name in the game is an uncapped smartphone offer to users who have uncapped ADSL based internet - something I suggested for CellC as well.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
I will ask again, DOES THIS INCLUDE 500MB NORMAL DATA LIKE THE R59 SERVICE? I make heavy use of this.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Actually, no.

Back in this reality, 8ta has BIS for R30/month, Cell C has just announced watered down BIS for R27 and R37 per month.

This is all about competing for less than R60/month, Vodacom should have been first to decrease its BIS pricing or launch a watered down version for ~R30/month.

Vodacom's failure to deliver and compete shows that Vodacom has been caught napping. Vodacom could launch something on Sunday but it would still mean that Vodacom was beaten by 8ta and Cell C, just lucky that MTN hasn't launched anything yet that would really be an embarrassment for Vodacom.

Last edited:

cpu.

Executive Member
Back in this reality, 8ta has BIS for R30/month, Cell C has just announced watered down BIS for R27 and R37 per month.

This is all about competing for less than R60/month, Vodacom should have been first to decrease its BIS pricing or launch a watered down version for ~R30/month.

Vodacom's failure to deliver and compete shows that Vodacom has been caught napping. Vodacom could launch something on Sunday but it would still mean that Vodacom was beaten by 8ta and Cell C, just lucky that MTN hasn't launched anything yet that would really be an embarrassment for Vodacom.
At least with Vodacom you get free minutes to use while you're sleeping...

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I don't think Vodacom was caught napping at all. It is pretty damn certain that RIM have done something to make lower cost BB products possible/viable but whether the operators implement this is up to their strategies. If you are a Vodacom customer - particularly one on contract - are you going to change over R30 a month? The customers VC are targetting with BB are high end contract customers who've signed up for 24 months with a Torch or Touch or whatever. I suspect VC sees Blackberry as on its way off and would rather be a premier Blackberry provider. I mean lets face it customers taking out a 24 month BB contract to get a top of the range device will go VC. 8ta and CellC are looking at prepaid market and low usage customers with their BB strategy. VC also has the advantage that many teenagers mommy or daddy are paying for the VC connection so the R30 is similarly uncovered. All of the reasons 8ta's move is good for 8ta do not apply to VC.

I mean has CellC having a strategic space in Mixit hurting VC?

Last edited:

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Has anyone here taken up 8ta's R30 BIS service? And u have to go in to a telkomdirect store to get it?

edit: Ok, to answer my own question, the dude at the telkomdirect shop said u just dial *180# and buy the relevant BIS package using your airtime if you're on prepaid. I would have gotten an 8ta prepaid sim right then and there but there are RICA hoops to jump through before I can get one. :twisted:

Last edited: