'Race specific' client, agent reject Cape Town man's apartment rental query, agency drops landlord

dualmeister

Honorary Master
A Cape Town real estate company has terminated the contract of a landlord who allegedly declined a rental applicant because of his race.

On Tuesday, Pol Osei, 26, took to various social media platforms and posted a WhatsApp conversation where the estate agent explained to him that he was refused accommodation based on his race.

"The client is race specific," the text read.

The estate agent furthermore defended the move, saying it was not illegal for a landlord to choose their tenants.

Source

R13...

Honorary Master
Lol, race specific? Why not just say the client won't rent to specific races or only accept specific races to the exclusion of others? And it would seem the landlord only told the agents after the guy showed interest.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I think my complex might be like that as well, never seen a single xhosa/zulu here, I only see white families.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Check the Okes tweets

rvZA

Executive Member
There's a reason jobs are race specific, what's the landlord's reasoning?

That reason is moot, it is divisive, it is self-destructive.

If that reason can still be justified today, then any other persons' decision may well be justified and valid too.

Or, are you perhaps targeting the person because she is white?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The real estate agency is num on their client, though the company themselves has apologised and terminated their agreement with said client or so they say. For obvious reasons they need to protect their client’s interests, you can’t name and shame in this case.

I have to, I have to wonder whether this client is not a local? Foreigners own these places in Cape Town, anyone knows where Fountain Suites are located in Cape Town?

R13...

Honorary Master
Really a reason? Wow I wonder what that could be, the supposed balance, which won't happen. Only country in the world where that the majority need to have rules in place to secure them jobs, yeah real valid reasoning.
That minority/majority argument shows a laziness to think. What does it matter that you are a minority subjugating a minority or the other way, the point is an imbalance was created on race which has left the majority at a disadvantage. The equation could be reversed and the reasons would be the same.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The real estate agency is num on their client, though the company themselves has apologised and terminated their agreement with said client or so they say. For obvious reasons they need to protect their client’s interests, you can’t name and shame in this case.

I have to, I have to wonder whether this client is not a local? Foreigners own these places in Cape Town, anyone knows where Fountain Suites are located in Cape Town?
1634735102787.png