'Race specific' client, agent reject Cape Town man's apartment rental query, agency drops landlord

Gyre

Expert Member
CRT nonsense.

Try again in English.

It is your words that you used previously when referring to BEE, I am just using the words you used previously?

In English - are you fine with BEE, being a choice of the majority?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Actually no. The landlord has no right to use race as a selection criteria. It is illegal. The agent had a professional, ethical, moral and legal responsibility to decline service at the point the landlord gave the race-based instruction. Period.
Actually the landlord can use any criteria to decide who can and can't stay on their property. You can't dictate who they must and must not lease to.

It perfectly understandable that people call them out on this though because yes it is ugly and we need less of it in our society.

I get that there are other consequences of people excluding certain groups from an area. Those landlords should just sell up and let someone else purchase the property.

Ponderer

Executive Member
I actually agree with you, it is the landlord's right to choose even if I disagree with it.

What I am pointing out, is that to defend her right to choose, things like BEE exist to balance out people simply choosing one thing the whole time - just as she is choosing her tenant, the majority are choosing their government and policies.

So if you are upset that you are excluded from a tender for being white, don't just be mad at the government, be mad at landlords like this as well.
So racism is wrong, but is sometimes right?

R13...

Honorary Master
Ja nee, agents need to learn, let the people waste their time, energy and resources looking at apartments/houses that won't be let to them. Present the list of technically viable candidates to the landlord and let the landlord choose the one they want. Don't try to save anyone the trouble if you think the landlord not pick them, just smile and wave.
It also wastes the agent's time if they must spend time showing places to people they know won't be allowed to let the place.

Howdy

Expert Member
Gautrain - Murray & Roberts - real names are Murari & Rabothang - ANC cadres
Etoll - Austrian company - Georg Kapsch - real name George Kabazela - ANC cadre
Sit up my babe-in-the-woods, time for your education.

If witous gets a contract, there's a corrupt comrade network behind it.

A wee history lesson. Overseas expertise was provided to SANRAL by Kapsch Sweden, who used to be SAAB Aerospace. If you recall in 1999, SAAB Aerospace owned 50% of SANIP, the other 50% being owned by British Aerospace. SANIP was thought to be the conduit through which bribes to ensure the selection of the Gripen fighter were paid to politically connected individuals and organisations -all allegations of course.

But, the then SAAB Chairman admitted in 2011 that at least R20 million had been paid to Fanu Hlongwane, adviser to Joe Modise, head of the Bid Committee as part of the deal. Other estimates range as high as R200 million. Allegations, reality, take your choice.

rietrot

Honorary Master
It is your words that you used previously when referring to BEE, I am just using the words you used previously?

In English - are you fine with BEE, being a choice of the majority?

Bee is systemic racist(legal racism) this is a CRT buzzword. But it is correct for BEE which is racism mandated by the state.

No I'm not fine with any race based laws. I fully support equal human rights.

Stonemason

Actually no. The landlord has no right to use race as a selection criteria. It is illegal. The agent had a professional, ethical, moral and legal responsibility to decline service at the point the landlord gave the race-based instruction. Period.

The landlord can use any criteria he or she deems appropriate when selecting a tenant.

We have a systemic problem in South Africa and we place everyone in boxes. Examples of this are:
All Whites are racist,
All Whites are rich,
Blacks are lazy
Blacks are incompentent
etc, etc

The problem here is not the selection criteria. The only real problem is that the estate agent should have handled it in a more subtle way.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Then you would have failed at being an estate agent.

''Sorry, the apartment is no longer available'' - You are doing what the landlord asked you to do, fish out an unwanted tenant. You retain the landlord as a client as well.

''Can I show you another apartment?" - You show the prospective tenant that you are willing and ready to offer your service and quickly move them on from an unsavoury discussion.

You now have two potential deals to close; find the ''right'' client for the landlord and help the other person find a place.
Yeah, I guess. If the prospective tenant asked me a direct question though, I wouldn't be able to lie to him.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
A lot of agents do accept business from landlords with race requirements. They then have to lie if they can identify your race over the phone or turn around and claim taken if you pass their phone screening.
Yeah, I try not to lie as a general rule.

Gyre

Expert Member
Bee is systemic racist(legal racism) this is a CRT buzzword. But it is correct for BEE which is racism mandated by the state.

No I'm not fine with any race based laws. I fully support equal human rights.

But you are fine with personal racism?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Ja nee, agents need to learn, let the people waste their time, energy and resources looking at apartments/houses that won't be let to them. Present the list of technically viable candidates to the landlord and let the landlord choose the one they want. Don't try to save anyone the trouble if you think the landlord not pick them, just smile and wave.
Landlord selects one Mr. D van Rooyen...

Fireworks

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
O boy, I badly do not want to wade into this, ummm, argument.

What else is going on in the country? Normally things like this makes the news to distract everyone from something else...