'Race specific' client, agent reject Cape Town man's apartment rental query, agency drops landlord

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I thought we were talking minority/majority not whether AA works here or there. It doesn't work here or there for various reasons but that wasn't the discussion. You seem determined to refuse to see the point.

You brought up AA but now that you're on the back foot you don't want to argue it anymore...

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
There are many ways to decline a tenant

One sure-fire way is for me to be told that they are Christian non-smokers

I had two lots of these, one stopped paying the rent as she said the Lord would provide but neglected to give me his email address. The other was a slovenly old bag and used to pour all her dirt into the drain, such that a plumber had to rod it out twice a year. She threw everything in there - chicken bones, plastic bags, old bread which would swell up, vegetable peelings. She said she was too tired to use the wheelie-bin as it detracted from her bible-study (accompanied by a bottle of brandy)

My best tenants by far are a couple from the DRC

The ones I prefer are young married couples where the mother-in-law visits to "keep an eye on things". Floor so clean you could eat off it

The moment I get the words, "Trust me, I'm a Christian."

I run.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Or simply say, the owner had decided to increase the rent, and hike it by a few k. See if they are still interested.

The client is Nigerian. There was no intent to pay anything at all. You can hike it as much as you like...

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
She's gone...
3c4bf3fd22ec7bf450807addee7fd204.jpg
17a8e066799d543477dcb05eb5e1a0a6.jpg
4c8a6aa5ada73afe1285271f60afbbad.jpg

Of course. The agent pays the price for the agencies policies when the agency is caught out.

dj2381

Expert Member
POOR people are reproducing at a much higher rate, the bulk of poor people happen to be black.
I can't agree with you here, pity we don't have stats for this then maybe you can prove me wrong, how many kids does JZ have now btw? lol

greg_SA

Expert Member
TLDR, but is it legal to share WhatsApp messages on a public platform without the consent of the people involved? Just curious...

Acid0

Expert Member
Taking out all the knee jerk reactions and emotions out of this.
Why is it such a big thing to have a preference of tenants?

If this client had numerous issues previously with a certain race is it not her right to choose a certain group of people she wants to rent to?

But because race is mentioned every one goes ape shyte.

I am not saying that white / coloured or Asian would also have issues or leave the apartment in such a state that you spent 1000's of rands to fix the place up for the next tenant.

Unfortunately if your tenants act up they call you as landlord not the tenants.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
"AA preferable" means...

"African blacks, Indians and Coloureds of all races, ethnicities and genders, people with disabilities (all races and ethnicities) as well as white women" would be given preference.
But it means no white dude. That is racist no matter how people spin it.

But people defend it it tooth and nail. Instead of just let the best person get the job...

edit: And then if all of those people are applying, black will win because they "get more points" on the BEE stats. So how is that no racist ?

Last edited:

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
She's the fall guy, though she could actually probably turn this around and sue them for unfair dismissal, she could also point out it was their client.

Exactly. Brendan is sacrificing her to save himself and his business.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Taking out all the knee jerk reactions and emotions out of this.
Why is it such a big thing to have a preference of tenants?

If this client had numerous issues previously with a certain race is it not her right to choose a certain group of people she wants to rent to?

But because race is mentioned every one goes ape shyte.

I am not saying that white / coloured or Asian would also have issues or leave the apartment in such a state that you spent 1000's of rands to fix the place up for the next tenant.

Unfortunately if your tenants act up they call you as landlord not the tenants.
If I grew up in a small racist town and had issues with them throughout my youth, does that give me the right to call all white people racist?

I've lived in a rental houses for 14 months before, and actually left the property in a decent state (new lawn and few plants). Landlord and agent were white.

I've seen trashy whites and Indians.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Things which puzzles me about this PR exercise. Johnson is a former Tyson Properties employee. She quit to start her own franchise with Live Real Estate. Apparently, through mixed media messages, Johnson's portfolio was in the process of being transferred, now this can happen in cooperative agreements, first rights and all that. However, Johnson called herself a franchise owner of Live Real Estate, franchise owners aren't employees in any capacity whatsoever, yet Live Real Estate named her an employee.

Tyson Properties made a Facebook post, in which they clarified how horrified they are by this incident, however, juicy comments was made and promptly deleted by the page owner, now this comments was also made on the Facebook post,

sheez... I don't know whether it is accurate information, social media being social media.

Anyway, I don't know who have listened to the 5FM radio interview, but a lot of people phoned in with similar issues of white people not wanting black tenants or employees. Here we are...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I can't agree with you here, pity we don't have stats for this then maybe you can prove me wrong, how many kids does JZ have now btw? lol
It's true poor people are reproducing at a higher rate, with black people being the majority.

Ghost64

Expert Member
Things which puzzles me about this PR exercise. Johnson is a former Tyson Properties employee. She quit to start her own franchise with Live Real Estate. Apparently, through mixed media messages, Johnson's portfolio was in the process of being transferred, now this can happen in cooperative agreements, first rights and all that. However, Johnson called herself a franchise owner of Live Real Estate, franchise owners aren't employees in any capacity whatsoever, yet Live Real Estate named her an employee.

Tyson Properties made a Facebook post, in which they clarified how horrified they are by this incident, however, juicy comments was made and promptly deleted by the page owner, now this comments was also made on the Facebook post,

sheez... I don't know whether it is accurate information, social media being social media.

Anyway, I don't know who have listened to the 5FM radio interview, but a lot of people phoned in with similar issues of white people not wanting black tenants or employees. Here we are...
I was sure she’s done it before.