'Race specific' client, agent reject Cape Town man's apartment rental query, agency drops landlord

Ghost64

Expert Member
What is it with real estate people and racism? Penny Sparrow, Momberg and now this lady..

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Things which puzzles me about this PR exercise. Johnson is a former Tyson Properties employee. She quit to start her own franchise with Live Real Estate. Apparently, through mixed media messages, Johnson's portfolio was in the process of being transferred, now this can happen in cooperative agreements, first rights and all that. However, Johnson called herself a franchise owner of Live Real Estate, franchise owners aren't employees in any capacity whatsoever, yet Live Real Estate named her an employee.

Tyson Properties made a Facebook post, in which they clarified how horrified they are by this incident, however, juicy comments was made and promptly deleted by the page owner, now this comments was also made on the Facebook post,

sheez... I don't know whether it is accurate information, social media being social media.

Anyway, I don't know who have listened to the 5FM radio interview, but a lot of people phoned in with similar issues of white people not wanting black tenants or employees. Here we are...
I still think if ANC government were not as discriminating & racist, and growing the country... we would not have so many race issues. But if your government goes heavy handed toward everyone except 1 race... then yea.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
I’m late to the thread but have we established whether he’s a Nigerian yet? I want to know whether to attribute his success to BEE or not since it’s kinda impressive for a 26 year old to be a “senior” SE.

Exactly. And what skills would his permanent resident status be granted on?

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
If I grew up in a small racist town and had issues with them throughout my youth, does that give me the right to call all white people racist?

I've lived in a rental houses for 14 months before, and actually left the property in a decent state (new lawn and few plants). Landlord and agent were white.

I've seen trashy whites and Indians.

Please leave @surface out of this

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
If I grew up in a small racist town and had issues with them throughout my youth, does that give me the right to call all white people racist?

I've lived in a rental houses for 14 months before, and actually left the property in a decent state (new lawn and few plants). Landlord and agent were white.

I have lived next to whites who I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. They destroyed the property about.

More than once. And it goes for all flavours of people....

So yes.. the landlord should have a choice who they want int their place IMHO.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Either this whole ordeal ends with a settlement between the parties, the media loses interest, or it is deemed in the public interest. It is reported that Osei intends to approach the Western Cape Housing Tribunal, the EABB and the Equality Court.

I am curious to see where this is going, though, and I am still in the opinion that the onus rests with the principal to deal with sensitive matters given these circumstances.

At this time, all it has resulted in is whites being shamed. That is the dialogue, white people don't want black people within their vicinity.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Either this whole ordeal ends with a settlement between the parties, the media loses interest, or it is deemed in the public interest. It is reported that Osei intends to approach the Western Cape Housing Tribunal, the EABB and the Equality Court.

I am curious to see where this is going, though, and I am still in the opinion that the onus rests with the principal to deal with sensitive matters given these circumstances.

At this time, all it has resulted in is whites being shamed. That is the dialogue, white people don't want black people within their vicinity.
Wonder when EFF is going to spin up...

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
Yet the 2 new power stations were supplied and built by multinationals... Others such as GE, ABB, Steinmuller, etc remain integral part of the SOE.

There are multiple examples, one being the (in)famous Bosasa affair.

Those are investors that most likely greased some ANC palms. What part of South African whites are excluded due to racist BEE, AA and EE legislation did you miss?

BOSASA was because ANC high ups palms were greased.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
But seeing the responses on twitter to just simply saying people should rather look at solutions instead of moaning that it was apartheids fault they live so far from work. Apparently they've been physically stuck there for 30 years, I can see why this country will never move on.

Yet none of them have created a business in that area despite many customers that have to travel far to visit a business and for employment. Far easier to blame it on apartheid after 28 years.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master
It is your words that you used previously when referring to BEE, I am just using the words you used previously?

In English - are you fine with BEE, being a choice of the majority?

BEE is not a choice of the majority. The majority is excluded from BEE. It's a choice of the ANC elite, their families, friends and patronage network as it gives access for little effort to the legal theft of the riches of people of a single demographic that worked hard to build those riches.

How successful would Ramaphosa have been as a businessman if there was no BEE?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I have lived next to whites who I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. They destroyed the property about.

More than once. And it goes for all flavours of people....

So yes.. the landlord should have a choice who they want int their place IMHO.
Yet, you'd still use race as a criteria for selection?

Ghost64

Expert Member
BEE is not a choice of the majority. The majority is excluded from BEE. It's a choice of the ANC elite, their families, friends and patronage network as it gives access for little effort to the legal theft of the riches of people of a single demographic that worked hard to build those riches.

How successful would Ramaphosa have been as a businessman if there was no BEE?
BEE was introduced in 2003, so he would still be successful.

Acid0

Expert Member

Thats what I said.

She might just had some bad experience with a certain race. It has nothing to do with racism, but we want to make it racism.

Hating a certain race and not want to rent to a certain race is not the same at all.

I am sure if she had bad experience with white people it will be the same argument.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yet none of them have created a business in that area despite many customers that have to travel far to visit a business and for employment. Far easier to blame it on apartheid after 28 years.
Yup, apparently I don't know their suffering as well cause when you point these type of things out, I'm doing it from privilege, it's like really privilege? Cause for the last 27 years I've been excluded from bursaries, grants, promotions and such cause of the colour of my skin, so yeah love that privilege.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Yet, you'd still use race as a criteria for selection?
If you want to make race a criteria then it's your choice. If the landlord want to... then it's their choice.

I'm sure it goes all ways.. there are indians that won't rent to white/black/indan etc. Maybe they had a bad experience with white people.. and scrapped them.

edit: If a black landlord doesn't want my white ZAR... then I'll go somewhere else. I couldn't give 2 shits, someone else will get my ZAR!

Acid0

Expert Member
Why attack the agent that does what her client asks of her, an not he client.....

Now they will go out of their way to make her life miserable.