Racial slur as man calls Welsh woman 'English'

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/other_news/&articleid=326475

A man has been convicted of racially aggravated harassment after calling a Welsh woman English.

Michael Forsythe was sentenced to 10 weeks in jail, suspended for 12 months, after being found guilty of racially aggravated disorderly behaviour, a court official said.
If I remember correctly there was an almost similar case in 2003/4 when a South African radio presenter referred to Afrikaans people as Dutch.

Alan

Honorary Master
Ah the liberal nanny state. PC plods gone wild :sick:

vespax

Expert Member
10 weeks!

Give the guy a fine if needs be and stop wasting public funds of the fool.

Nod

Executive Member
I see she didn't contest the "bitch" part :p

lsuacner

Expert Member
Why do people allow racial slurs to affect them? I think its because they have no self-worth.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
And people call this democracy? Sounds like something a communist country would do.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
10 weeks!

Give the guy a fine if needs be and stop wasting public funds of the fool.
He's not actually doing time and he did have to pay prosecution costs.

CathJ

Expert Member
And people call this democracy? Sounds like something a communist country would do.
Depends how it was done. If it was an innocent mistake, then it's overkill... but if he meant it as a terrible insult, and as an incitement to violence, then it's probably fair enough.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Depends how it was done. If it was an innocent mistake, then it's overkill... but if he meant it as a terrible insult, and as an incitement to violence, then it's probably fair enough.
I disagree, it's not an incitement to violence, it's calling someone a name. You deal with it, you feel bad for a day and the feeling subsides, you don't make a case against someone.

America was always known for being the place where you could sue for crap, but it seems it's spreading across the globe.

noxibox

Honorary Master
"It's political correctness gone mad."
Political correctness can't go mad, it is just mad, and stupid.

calling a Welsh woman English
No question, that is a grave insult. Lorna should have come back with some withering insults of her own.

Tanarri

Never thought of being 'Dutch' as bad... Oh well guess it's all about perspective. Next time I want to insult an American (think bush), then I call them English? WTF? :eek:

PeterCH

Honorary Master
http://www.mg.co.za/articlepage.aspx?area=/breaking_news/other_news/&articleid=326475

If I remember correctly there was an almost similar case in 2003/4 when a South African radio presenter referred to Afrikaans people as Dutch.

Why is that considered a RACIAL slur? Both parties are caucasian AFAIK,
and even if one of the parties were not, the slur was not based on race as traditionally or genetically both Welsh and Poms are caucasians, even
if it was an native Pohm calling a Welsh Indian person English.

Amerikanse

Why is that considered a RACIAL slur? Both parties are caucasian AFAIK,
and even if one of the parties were not, the slur was not based on race as traditionally or genetically both Welsh and Poms are caucasians, even
if it was an native Pohm calling a Welsh Indian person English.
Was that Nigel on Cape Talk? I remember that. Big fooferah when, I believe, he made a refernce to "thick Dutchmen." Being an American myself I don't quite understand what the fuss was all about...