Racist Magic: The Gathering cards banned, removed from database by publisher

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Funny you should post this.....seeing John Cleese reminds me.

UKTV removes ‘don’t mention the war’ episode of Fawlty Towers

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-06-12/uktv-removes-dont-mention-the-war-episode-of-fawlty-towers/

FFS! Now they are messing with Fawlty Towers. Enough of this PC BS!

That was a funny episode!

That wasn't even about black people, are we just banning everything that might hit a nerve now. Just ban comedy then and you sure as chit gotta ban Chris Rock's material, that guy hates n****z!

ghostbunny

If you can't see why Invoke Prejudice is racist then you are part of the problem.

There are definitely some cards on the remove list that's stretching but I do not think its a bad idea to relook at all the designs and remove cards that are either political or target a specific race or group.

While we do live in an overly PC world, we do need to see what requires change.

Virtue's Ruin is way more direct, no?

tp3to

Its not so much the ability but the title of the card and it combined I think thats the problem with Cleanse.

In america with the ku klux klan wanted to cleanse the minority as they saw themselves as superior to them. So Cleanse as its ability will most likely stay but with a different title and art probably.

rietrot

Honorary Master
If you can't see why Invoke Prejudice is racist then you are part of the problem.

There are definitely some cards on the remove list that's stretching but I do not think its a bad idea to relook at all the designs and remove cards that are either political or target a specific race or group.

While we do live in an overly PC world, we do need to see what requires change.
It's a fantasy setting. It's not the real world.
Black doesn't even mean black.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Its not so much the ability but the title of the card and it combined I think thats the problem with Cleanse.

In america with the ku klux klan wanted to cleanse the minority as they saw themselves as superior to them. So Cleanse as its ability will most likely stay but with a different title and art probably.
Leftard logic in all its glory

tp3to

Agreed thats why I mentioned in the in the message above that I dont believe its the ability itseld but either the art or title combined that creates the issue.

Invoke Prejudice has literal ku klux klan clan members shown.

If its a fantasy setting then it doent require images like that.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
One card in particular, Invoke Prejudice, was singled out. It shows a hooded executioner with a black axe. “If opponent casts a Summon spell that does not match the color of one of the creatures under your control, that spell is countered,” says the card. It effectively kills off creatures that don’t look like the creatures already on the table.

How on earth is that racist?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Agreed thats why I mentioned in the in the message above that I dont believe its the ability itseld but either the art or title combined that creates the issue.

Invoke Prejudice has literal ku klux klan clan members shown.

If its a fantasy setting then it doent require images like that.
There is no issue. In a fantasy setting you can literally murder things and it is fine. Why worry about perceived racism when fantasy creatures are literally dying.

Goblinlifesmatter or something

gregmcc

Honorary Master

Crowley

Executive Member
Good thing that IDE died out years ago or else we would have had to rename slave drives.

Next up, Twenty4Seven releases "Dependant on the music 2020"

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Terminology concerns
The terminology has sometimes been replaced with something different because the terms "master" and "slave" refer to the practice of slavery.

"Main" & "Secondary" has been proposed, enabling reusable interpretation of the remaining acronym labels for connecting.

One alternative for databases is "primary" and "replica", which is used in the documentation from IBM,[5] Microsoft,[6] Engine Yard,[7] Amazon Web Services/Amazon Relational Database Service,[8] and ACM[9] as well as in Python,[10] Django,[11][12] Drupal,[13] CouchDB,[14] Redis[15] and MediaWiki (which still uses "master").[16][17]

The configuration management tool Salt uses the terms "master" and "minion".[18]

In December 2017, the Internet Systems Consortium decided to allow the words "primary" and "secondary" as a substitute for master/slave terminology in their DNS server software BIND.[19]

In 2003, the County of Los Angeles in California asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using "master" and "slave" terminology on products; the county made this request "based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County".[20][21] Following outcries about the request, the County of Los Angeles issued a statement saying that the decision was "nothing more than a request".[20] Following the controversy, Global Language Monitor found the term "master/slave" to be the most egregious example of political correctness in 2004, and named it the most politically incorrect term of that year.[22]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)#cite_note-22

Source 22:

'Master/slave' named most politically incorrect term
The computer term "master/slave," which was banned as racially offensive by a Los Angeles County purchasing department, was named the most politically incorrect term of the year.

Among other terms on the top 10 list of politically charged words and phrases, issued by the word usage group Global Language Monitor, were "non-same sex marriage" to describe heterosexual unions, "waitron" for waiter or waitress and "higher being" for God, a term some people found too religious.

"We found 'master/slave' to be the most egregious example of political correctness in 2004," said Paul JJ Payack, president of The Global Language Monitor.

"This is but one more example of the insertion of politics into every facet of modern life, down to the level of the control processes of computer technology."

In computer terminology, "master/slave" refers to primary and secondary hard disk drives. But a Los Angeles County purchasing department told vendors in late 2003 that the term was offensive and violated the region's cultural diversity. The county's department of affirmative action undertook a hunt to replace it on packages.

After a public uproar, the county backed down. Payack said that while the incident took place in late 2003, debate about it grew enormously in 2004.

The phrase "non-same sex marriage," was used by a former congressman who did not want to offend gay people by using the term traditional marriage, Payack said.

Also on the list this year were "Red Sox lover," to use in place of "Yankee hater," "progressive" for classical liberal, "incurious" rather than more impolite invectives for President Bush, "insurgents" instead of terrorists in Iraq, "baristas" for waiters, and "first year student" rather than freshman.

I must add though it has been some time since I heard master/slave being applied.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
i still have my cards from 1997 - 2000
must haul them out and see if i have any of these 7 listed

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
are other things going to be renamed now as well?

Black sheep of the family
blackmail
black friday
blacklisted
etc
:unsure:

STS

Mafia Detective
/Far Right: "Why you guys getting mad over a criminal?"

/Also Far Right: "Why are they removing my cards!?!?!"

borro

Expert Member
A Missouri woman asked Merriam-Webster to update its definition of racism and now officials will make the change
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/dictionary-racism-definition-update-trnd/index.html

"This revision would not have been made without your persistence in contacting us about this problem," Chambers said in the email, which was provided to CNN. "We sincerely thank you for repeatedly writing in and apologize for the harm and offense we have caused in failing to address this issue sooner."