Radical Economic Transformation will hurt South Africa’s ICT industry

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Manager on leave here at work and I'm supposed to partake in the next round of interviews to find a new BI Developer.
Of course, we're forced to only look at CV's and interview BEE candidates.

Had a long and hard discussion about it with myself and decided to tell business to f**k off, I won't partake in this racist system any longer.
The amount of damage it's already caused at work so far is palpable and clearly it's only going to get worse.

Last edited:

Novel

Manager on leave here at work and I'm supposed to partake in the next round of interviews to find a new BI Developer.

Had a long and hard discussion about it with myself and decided to tell business to f**k off, I won't partake in this racist system any longer.
The amount of damage it's already caused at work so far is palpable and clearly it's only going to get worse.
I think you and yourself were lying to one another.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member

:D

Good luck with that. Dimensions, facts, attributes, intelligent cubes etc... Ask them if they can explain Cardinalities and ratio in a logical data modeling convention. If they throw up, they might not be suited for it.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master

A business is there to make money not take your personal feelings into account.

If it was affecting bottom line, the problem would be solved.

Utterly Confused

A BIG +1 I agree wholeheartedly with above. This country is going back into the dark ages, with all the damage that Zuma has done already. This is not the ANC that Nelson Mandela fought for, the ANC are a bunch of rouges thinking of themselves and not for the people that elected them. All that I can say that this country is f..cked unless something is done about it.:mad::sick:

RaptorSA

Expert Member

Good luck with that. Dimensions, facts, attributes, intelligent cubes etc... Ask them if they can explain Cardinalities and ratio in a logical data modeling convention. If they throw up, they might not be suited for it.
Duuude... .we don't even get close to the "cool' stuff over here.
In this place an Operational Data Store is called a "Data Warehouse" and archaic SSIS jobs simply copying/replicating data into other server instances are called "ETL's"
Just finding people these days who can put a decent query script together is starting to become a massive multi month searching challenge, not to mention getting actual BI people who know what they're doing.
Confining us to to things like skin color is pure BS.... Since once you actually find someone who's black and can tell you simply what Select DISTINCT is they tend to get the job, and that's when business expects you to train them with zero interest in re-calibrating their own timelines and expectations.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
A business is there to make money not take your personal feelings into account.

Bwhahah... Your faith in how massive corporations actually work (or should work) is adorable.
Also, in this scenario, who do you think is one of the people who's responsible for gauging our losses, missed opportunities etc. due to lack of skills and inefficiencies?

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
Duuude... .we don't even get close to the "cool' stuff over here.
In this place an Operational Data Store is called a "Data Warehouse" and archaic SSIS jobs simply copying/replicating data into other server instances are called "ETL's"
Just finding people these days who can put a decent query script together is starting to become a massive multi month searching challenge, not to mention getting actual BI people who know what they're doing.
Confining us to to things like skin color is pure BS.... Since once you actually find someone who's black and can tell you simply what Select DISTINCT is they tend to get the job, and that's when business expects you to train them with zero interest in re-calibrating their own timelines and expectations.
Damn.....that really sucks. It is difficult to find these kind of people. Simply having SQL knowledge is not nearly enough. You have to have a specific way of thinking to understand the logic behind the whole BI process, and this is where most fall short.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Had that situation at the previous company and when we needed to hire staff at the current. HR put their foot down and said it's BEE or nothing, so we spent months interviewing.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Bwhahah... Your faith in how massive corporations actually work (or should work) is adorable.
Also, in this scenario, who do you think is one of the people who's responsible for gauging our losses, missed opportunities etc. due to lack of skills and inefficiencies?
Your manager? Project manager?

thechamp

Honorary Master
A BIG +1 I agree wholeheartedly with above. This country is going back into the dark ages, with all the damage that Zuma has done already. This is not the ANC that Nelson Mandela fought for, the ANC are a bunch of rouges thinking of themselves and not for the people that elected them. All that I can say that this country is f..cked unless something is done about it.:mad::sick:
BEE, EE, and AA has been there since Mandela's time, unless you are talking about something else that has nothing to do with this thread....

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
“When he [Malusi Gigaba] was asked by investors what radical economic transformation means, he could not answer. He effectively said he will come back one day and tell people what it is,” said Louw.

I know what it is, a phrase being chucked around in the hope that the bleeding of votes to the EFF will be reduced, also to shift the focus from state capture to the evil whites and thus continuance of the looting of SA with no consequences for the looters.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This is a made up term by #BellPottinger
You are obsessed with Bell Pottinger. I surely don’t hope you are scapegoating them on anything else. This community is aware on the Gupta-Pottinger relationship, but this term that you are on about go way back. These policies have been brought up prior Zuma’s reign as president, it is only being punted now to score, and that the Zuma administration has used it more aggressively. The issue is in understanding the term, and I don’t think the ANC is understanding it themselves seeing how directionless these strategies are incorporated.

jetlee

This is typical government bull**** ... saying radical transformation, isn't magically going to implement it. The real reason BEE has failed (besides the obvious skill constraints in certain sectors) is that its not actually a plan .. its just a mantra .. which means nobody knows if we are even getting there or going backwards. This .. plus the typical racist rhetoric that is spewed by communists on loud hailers trying to rev up the masses, keeps any progress / or regress well hidden under carpets .. instead of honestly allowing the data into the public domain to be tweaked and improved until we have a growing and inclusive economy .. stealing things by "usurping white monopoly capital" is not a long term strategy .. its a short term shuffle of wealth with an absolutely catastrophic unsustainable future.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
That's the problem with the BEE rubbish - it affects your bottom line if you don't hire the candidates. Companies that require BEE will have clients that require a certain BEE rating, which means you have to hire BEE candidates to retain your rating or you lose the customer.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
This is typical government bull**** ... saying radical transformation, isn't magically going to implement it. The real reason BEE has failed (besides the obvious skill constraints in certain sectors) is that its not actually a plan .. its just a mantra .. which means nobody knows if we are even getting there or going backwards. This .. plus the typical racist rhetoric that is spewed by communists on loud hailers trying to rev up the masses, keeps any progress / or regress well hidden under carpets .. instead of honestly allowing the data into the public domain to be tweaked and improved until we have a growing and inclusive economy .. stealing things by "usurping white monopoly capital" is not a long term strategy .. its a short term shuffle of wealth with an absolutely catastrophic unsustainable future.
And the ANC are largely just throwing it around to secure/maintain votes. They have no idea if it's working, assessing its effectiveness, or even care whether or not it does.

Nobody can tell me the Zumas of this world and his ilk really care about the people, not based on evidence since he became president.

garp

Executive Member
What the country really needs to alleviate poverty and inequality is radical economic growth.

Transforming ownership by brute legislative force is a complete anathema to economic growth. I can't understand how, in their minds, radical transformation of ownership somehow equates to the eradication of poverty as if that will somehow create automatic economic growth, when the complete opposite is true.

We need both economic growth as well as have economically underrepresented demographics improve their participation in the economy. But the second part cannot occur in any sustainable manner until there is a lot more of the first part. So the primary strategic focus should logically be on growing the economy as fast as possible, removing as many impediments and risks to investors as possible, which is exactly what economies like Singapore did with spectacular results for reducing poverty. Instead, we seem to be doing the opposite. Obstinately trying to change ownership and hoping that this will magically alleviate poverty.

There is no reason why this country should not be an economic powerhouse apart from political and ideological encumbrances. Deregulate labour regulations, stop trying to racially engineer the economy, endorse the sanctity of property rights, educate people properly and tackle corruption appropriately and we will overnight be launched on a spectacular economic path. There is nothing that we lack for this to happen apart from what comes out of the mouths of our leaders, and the dumb policies that ensue.

I don't believe that people like Zuma, Gigaba and company don't know this. I think they are fully aware, but continue to rant about radical economic transformation because it appeals to their voters and equally plays on an element of vindictiveness and retribution. In other words, they are quite prepared to destroy the economy in return for cheap votes and being able to say that they "stuck it to the white man". After a couple more decades (or less) of this trajectory, we'll be just another African basket case, begging for industry and farmers to return because in Africa it seems the lessons have to be learned the hard way, and it seems impossible to absorb them by mere observation. Predictable and sad and so frustrating.