Rain’s 5G plan – Fibre speeds through wireless service

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Considering that Rain in PE doesn't even have signal in many central city areas, and that PE is substantially smaller than CT and Joburg, you'd think it would be ideal for a 5G Rain rollout.

Cancelling my service after this first month with them. Coverage and speeds are totally woeful.

genetic

Honorary Master
Considering that Rain in PE doesn't even have signal in many central city areas, and that PE is substantially smaller than CT and Joburg, you'd think it would be ideal for a 5G Rain rollout.

Cancelling my service after this first month with them. Coverage and speeds are totally woeful.
Where's PE?

Makes sense to roll out in JHB and CPT first.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Where's PE?

Makes sense to roll out in JHB and CPT first.
Joburg and CT will take absolute ages to cover. PE is small and currently has broken Rain coverage (so an argument from urgency). A tower in Walmer, one in Summerstrand, one in Salisbury Park, one in Beverley Grove, one in Parsons Hill and one in Westering will cover nearly 100% of the main city.

How far will 6 towers get in CT or Joburg?

The_David

Anyone heard the theories that 5G is incredibly hazardous to us? Frequency wise? Conspiracy theory... Thruth being made out to be a consiparcy theory?

Johand

Expert Member
So 5G has lot of potential and rain is a innovative company BUT CAN THEY PLEASE STOP COMPARING THEIR SERVICE TO FIBRE!

Even if they manage to get their peak speed and lowest latency in the same ballpark the quality of service and cost per megabyte is not even in the same ballpark.

It is like comparing a Nissan 1400 bakkie to a train. Sure you can transport things with both but if you want to move 30000 tons of something you are not going to do it with the Nissan. That doesn't mean the Nissan is not a good vehicle and the right choice for a lot of people but you shouln't advertise the Nissan as a train.

rain = R50 / GB
Fibre capped all cost in starts R5/GB (200GB on Openserve through WA) and for higher usage this can quickly fall below R1 on uncapped packages....

So cost per GB is at least an order of magnitude cheaper on fibre.

Again - not saying the rain product is bad -- for my mother using 5GB to 10GB per month it is awesome. But it isn't fibre.

Anyone heard the theories that 5G is incredibly hazardous to us? Frequency wise? Conspiracy theory... Thruth being made out to be a consiparcy theory?
It interacts with vaccines to speed up the effects of chemtrails resulting in the current outbreaks of a disease that looks like measles ?

Swa

Honorary Master
Isucka doesn't know their arse from their elbow. Which satellite uses 3.5GHz? Why is it going to take another 3 months to launch when devices should be available in the next few months?

Swa

Honorary Master
So 5G has lot of potential and rain is a innovative company BUT CAN THEY PLEASE STOP COMPARING THEIR SERVICE TO FIBRE!

Even if they manage to get their peak speed and lowest latency in the same ballpark the quality of service and cost per megabyte is not even in the same ballpark.

It is like comparing a Nissan 1400 bakkie to a train. Sure you can transport things with both but if you want to move 30000 tons of something you are not going to do it with the Nissan. That doesn't mean the Nissan is not a good vehicle and the right choice for a lot of people but you shouln't advertise the Nissan as a train.

rain = R50 / GB
Fibre capped all cost in starts R5/GB (200GB on Openserve through WA) and for higher usage this can quickly fall below R1 on uncapped packages....

Again - not saying the rain product is bad -- for my mother using 5GB to 10GB per month it is awesome. But it isn't fibre.
They just need to price it right and it will be a serious competitor. They're already a serious competitor with the fibre providers failing to be competitive.

Swa

Honorary Master
Happens with every new technology. Personally I think they all carry a measure of risk but it's weighed up against the benefits. It should always be risk vs benefit. If the world adopted that principle everywhere we'd already have cures for things like aids.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member

rain = R50 / GB

It interacts with vaccines to speed up the effects of chemtrails resulting in the current outbreaks of a disease that looks like measles ?
This, please don't do the whole "fibre like" marketing BS like the first time.

Polymathic

Honorary Master

rain = R50 / GB

You're assuming Rain going to carry their 4G products and pricing to 5G. Any my in terms of Rand to GB usage my Rain is around the R1/Gig and that's on their 4G service. In a South African context fibre like speeds is really like 10mb/s on the lowest end. All Rain would need to do is have the ability of giving uses a stable 10mb/s at peak times at a similar price point to compete against fibre.

Personally I think fibre infrastructure who are not doing aerial fibre are going to be screwed by 5G providers

phly

Expert Member
A friend of mine got fibre a few months back while I was still on LTE - I became envious thinking of the speeds and the fact that it was uncapped. Until I investigated further. For 19hrs a day I too had uncapped and speeds were not limited. I think he is on one of those 20/5 setup meaning 20Mbps upstream max and 5Mbps upload. This is all well and good but when you factor that with LTE there is no limit to speeds unless one imposed by the router one is using, then LTE atleast in my eyes comes out on top. It is also "portable" and I don't have to worry if the location I am visiting or even relocating to has been dug up. Just whether there is coverage or not.

I often got speeds of 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up on average with Rain so the only comparison is a fibre option with the same speeds and then price becomes the determining factor and at 250 bucks Rain not only sweeps but mops the floor. So I am looking forward to not only 5G but the products that they will hopefully launch alongside it as the routers too become available and given the choice I would go LTE over fibre any day.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Joburg and CT will take absolute ages to cover. PE is small and currently has broken Rain coverage (so an argument from urgency). A tower in Walmer, one in Summerstrand, one in Salisbury Park, one in Beverley Grove, one in Parsons Hill and one in Westering will cover nearly 100% of the main city.

How far will 6 towers get in CT or Joburg?
CPT has got plenty of dead spots as well, I am staring at a "No Service" screen at the moment smack down in the middle of town, don't bother to go sit inside a restaurant with a portable RAIN router, the coverage never makes it inside it seems, but get coverage once I put my vodacom sim in

SilverCode

The company officially launched its commercial 5G network at Mobile World Congress 2019 on 26 February
“We aim to provide significant coverage in key areas in Johannesburg and Cape Town to enable a launch to consumers in the third quarter of this year,” Roos added.
So who did they launch to at MWC? Maybe they just meant they announced at MWC they would be launching 5G. To me a launch means something is available for its intended audience. They couldn't even give a canned demo to MyBB...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
CPT has got plenty of dead spots as well, I am staring at a "No Service" screen at the moment smack down in the middle of town, don't bother to go sit inside a restaurant with a portable RAIN router, the coverage never makes it inside it seems, but get coverage once I put my vodacom sim in
No one is claiming Rain has existing coverage for all of Joburg, Midrand, Pretoria and Cape Town. But those are very large areas that require an insane quantity of towers to cover.

My point is that PE can be totally blanketed in 5G by Rain with far less time and investment than other cities require. And when you have large dead spots in a relatively small main city area, that reflects especially poorly on your service. So some priority should ideally be given to PE given our garbage coverage and speeds.

SilverCode

A friend of mine got fibre a few months back while I was still on LTE - I became envious thinking of the speeds and the fact that it was uncapped. Until I investigated further. For 19hrs a day I too had uncapped and speeds were not limited. I think he is on one of those 20/5 setup meaning 20Mbps upstream max and 5Mbps upload. This is all well and good but when you factor that with LTE there is no limit to speeds unless one imposed by the router one is using, then LTE atleast in my eyes comes out on top. It is also "portable" and I don't have to worry if the location I am visiting or even relocating to has been dug up. Just whether there is coverage or not.

I often got speeds of 50Mbps down and 20Mbps up on average with Rain so the only comparison is a fibre option with the same speeds and then price becomes the determining factor and at 250 bucks Rain not only sweeps but mops the floor. So I am looking forward to not only 5G but the products that they will hopefully launch alongside it as the routers too become available and given the choice I would go LTE over fibre any day.
Different use cases I guess. We watch ~2 hours of Netflix a night between 6pm-10pm, which according to Netflix would amount to 6GB of data. Rain charge R50 per gig, so that is R300 per night. If we do that for 20 days of the month, that is R6000. Would rather pay R750 for 20Mbps ADSL/Fiber and not have to worry about how much TV I'm watching.