Rain – “The future of fixed and mobile connectivity in South Africa”

Yuu

Expert Member
No coverage in KwaDukuza in KZN. :crylaugh:

Annoying one cannot zoom on the map with a keyboard, anyone else know if that is easily fixed on their side?

I popped them a mail so lets see :)

A really good case study for these guys IMHO would be when Telkom did their Uncapped LTE[A] Promo from Dec 2015/Jan 2016 and how they adjusted accordingly to users. If they took notes, they will have a winning formula :D

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Got coverage at home. Will be interesting to see what they come up with in regards to packages and pricing. Am I correct in understanding that by Mobile they mean they will offer voice/data for cellphones too later?

Method

Executive Member
I'm in a covered area. Currently on Telkom LTE, so I'm keen if the price is good.

Method

Executive Member
Got coverage at home. Will be interesting to see what they come up with in regards to packages and pricing. Am I correct in understanding that by Mobile they mean they will offer voice/data for cellphones too later?
I'm going to guess it's just Data and maybe VoIP seeing that it's an LTE-A network only.

Swa

Honorary Master
Price? Everyone who offers a fixed service always wants to market in the same segment as dsl, which is at least 3 times overpriced.

Orbiter

Price? Everyone who offers a fixed service always wants to market in the same segment as dsl, which is at least 3 times overpriced.
Article is useless without indication of price. Just getting my hopes up at the moment. I cannot get more than 10Meg ADSL. No VDSL, no Fibre, no Telkom LTE Uncapped.

And knowing its provided by WBS means its only good enough for surfing and e-mail. Nothing else will work!

Petec

Expert Member
Price, price , price please.

Punting your speeds are baiting, chest beating, and pointless.

Why does no one all the way high up realise, that in the copper, fibre, and wireless space, that if you offer large coverage with true uncapped at 6-8 meg, and at R299 per month, you will own all?

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I take offence on two fronts.

Firstly, that there is absolutely no mention of pricing
Secondly that they abandon their current iburst userbase and forcing them to "hang on while we work out pricing" and so on.

Way to go with creating good first impressions.

I would've let the two systems run in parallel, then retire the older system after getting most of my clients over to the new system.

Hopefully they will have realistic pricing that will make you go :D because if they decide to up the ante and keep prices high, then a lot of people will be :mad:

We shall see, I suppose, we shall see.

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Rain – formerly Wireless Business Solutions (WBS) – was recently launched, and promises to provide South Africans with increased connectivity at affordable prices.

Rain has rolled out 750 LTE-A sites to date, and is on track to meet a target of 2,000 sites by the end of 2017.

The company said its LTE-Advanced data network will provide “open access” to the Internet for everyone – operators, resellers, and consumers.

Michael Jordaan, director and shareholder of Rain, said their objective is to establish a cutting-edge LTE-A fixed and mobile network, designed to meet growing consumer demand.

Jordaan told MyBroadband that they will provide simple, easy, and transparent access to data.

“Our aim is to deliver the best possible quality and speeds at affordable rates. For example, Rain data will not expire and there will be no out-of-bundle penalties,” said Jordaan.

Rain is a “mobile data first” offering that changes the perception of data from “a bolt-on to a voice offering” to a primary requirement.

“We believe that in the foreseeable future, all voice calls will be carried over data networks, through WhatsApp, VoIP, and VoLTE,” said Jordaan.

Rain’s first commercial product will be a fixed-wireless broadband service called “Rain to the Home”, which will launch soon.

The company will offer full mobile services in the future, but this will only happen when the company has sufficient coverage.

Jordaan said Rain’s market strategy, including how to purchase the service and potential launch partners, will be announced soon.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broa...t-expire-with-no-out-of-bundle-penalties.html