Rain 5G Gqeberha (PE)

veethree

Who else on the forum has signed up for Rain 5G in Gqeberha (PE) and what's your experience been like? I'm right on the edge of coverage according to the map but still get 3 out of 4 bars of signal. This translates to around 250-300mb down but only 7-12mb up (sometimes as low as 3). Ping usually sits around 35-40ms to CT according to Speedtest.

I've been using Rain because my fibre experience was so bad - thanks, Frogfoot - and, while the speeds can vary a bit, I haven't had a single instance of it going down over the last 4 weeks or so. I was hoping for good stability, and seem to have got it.

From all the other threads on this forum, it seems that the Rain experience degrades once there are a lot of users taking it up. I'm not sure if my relatively good download speeds are just because it's new here, but I'm hoping it lasts.

Anyone else want to chime in?

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I have this, also because of Frogfoot's utter incompetence in maintaining and running a proper FNO network.

I'm smack dab in the middle of their coverage area, and speeds, both up and down, seem good. I'm more than happy with them, and I only hope that we don't see any degradation going forward as more people sign up, as you said:

1640186801655.png

What is your RSRP? I am guessing you have the Oppo CPE? Mine is around -90dBm, but I have since moved it into my ceiling and it's now at around -81dBm, so ought to get slightly better speeds and better latency.

Reactions: Yuu

veethree

Yep, I have the Oppo CPE. My RSRP sits around -100dBm, but does drop as low as -93. Yours is a lot better, which you can see in your upload speeds! I'm going to play around with the positioning of the Oppo tomorrow, as I'm not actually connecting to the closest tower at the moment.

Reactions: Yuu

Leno

Expert Member
5g first test.png

This was also on the edge of the coverage when I borrowed the office one, so upload not so great but download was decent

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yep, I have the Oppo CPE. My RSRP sits around -100dBm, but does drop as low as -93. Yours is a lot better, which you can see in your upload speeds! I'm going to play around with the positioning of the Oppo tomorrow, as I'm not actually connecting to the closest tower at the moment.

Signal is lacking. Might want to get an external unit for better over all speed and stability.

veethree

Signal is lacking. Might want to get an external unit for better over all speed and stability.
Don't really want to incur an extra hardware cost, though. Are external units available from Rain?

Leno

Expert Member
Will a poynting 4G external antenna work with a 5G router ?
I doubt it, 5G uses MIMO technologies, and the external antenna is only 2 MIMO if i remember

My router doesnt have external antenna ports

El Presidente

Expert Member
I doubt it, 5G uses MIMO technologies, and the external antenna is only 2 MIMO if i remember

My router doesnt have external antenna ports
It's also the wrong freq :) Those antennas usually work in the 700-2700MHz range and Rain's 5G spectrum is in 3600MHz

morbill

It's also the wrong freq :) Those antennas usually work in the 700-2700MHz range and Rain's 5G spectrum is in 3600MHz
Once i move over to 5G i will sell router and antenna as a bundle, not sure when with throttling i get the same speed on basic package. i also do not under stand throttling while using a VPN 20Mbps to 5Mbps

El Presidente

Expert Member
Once i move over to 5G i will sell router and antenna as a bundle, not sure when with throttling i get the same speed on basic package. i also do not under stand throttling while using a VPN 20Mbps to 5Mbps
To make sure, you're asking why Rain throttles the basic package when using VPN? I assume it would be to prevent abuse :)

PhireSide

Honorary Master
How is everyone's Rain in PE? (the internet, not the wet stuff)

veethree

How is everyone's Rain in PE? (the internet, not the wet stuff)
I had to cancel mine in the end, unfortunately. Though I got some good download speeds (200-300mb), I'm right on the edge of coverage so my upload speeds never went above 12mb and we're frequently around 3-4mb. It just wasn't enough for a consistent video call experience, which was a must because I work from home. Otherwise, it was actually quite a good experience.

If your coverage is good, I think it would do quite well for most people, especially compared to the disaster that is Frogfoot in PE. After I rejoined them I promptly had a 28 hour outage. Never had anything like that with Rain. I think I was only out once for a couple of hours in the four months I used them.

wesmar

Wish Rain would extend the 5G coverage to Seaview, we have only one tower close to us and it has been off since last week Tuesday, also working remotely and im basically hitting the bank with all the vodacom data.

veethree

Maybe things will improve from a coverage perspective after the purchase of additional spectrum. I'm going to keep an eye on things.