Rain 5G. I am impressed!

Evil-Twin

I live in an area with large trees and even larger walls. The house I live in is over 100 years old so the walls are thick and I have been struggling to get decent internet. I recently installed a rain 5G router, it is inside the house and the signal is incredible.

IMG_1150.JPG

No matter where I am in the house I can pick up signal, I can even get signal 30 meters outside of the house on the street. The sort of speeds I am getting amazes me.

IMG_1145.JPG

The upload speed could be a little better, but I am certainly not complaining!

Geselskap

I live in an area with large trees and even larger walls. The house I live in is over 100 years old so the walls are thick and I have been struggling to get decent internet. I recently installed a rain 5G router, it is inside the house and the signal is incredible.

View attachment 878665

No matter where I am in the house I can pick up signal, I can even get signal 30 meters outside of the house on the street. The sort of speeds I am getting amazes me.

View attachment 878667

Hi, is fibre available in your area?

Dretastic06

View attachment 878665

View attachment 878667

Mtn 4G trumps this easily

Evil-Twin

Hi, is fibre available in your area?
Yes, but it is extremely slow and very expensive. I have Telkom fibre, and it really does not work well. I am busy testing out Vodacom LTE, Cell C LTE, and rain 5G at the moment, so I have multiple wifi networks running and I change between them and test them throughout the day (Covid-19, so I work from home and have a lot of time on my hands).

Reactions: Yuu

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Yep, he must be paid by rain . . . . . . .:laugh:
Based on the majority of threads that seem to indicate that Rain has become a pain, it is hard to argue with this

For what it's worth @OP, I hope your joy isn't short-lived.

chrisc

Executive Member
Very promising. Please keep us updated.

I would imagine that the throughput might decrease if there are many users

powermzii

Expert Member
Yes, but it is extremely slow and very expensive. I have Telkom fibre, and it really does not work well. I am busy testing out Vodacom LTE, Cell C LTE, and rain 5G at the moment, so I have multiple wifi networks running and I change between them and test them throughout the day (Covid-19, so I work from home and have a lot of time on my hands).

Which area are you located? Did you trey get better speeds by placing CPE nearer a window / on the roof?

buyeye

Executive Member
Fibre is how your 5G tower connects you to the internet.

Evil-Twin

So firstly, a note to all trolls, I am by no means saying that people have not experienced issues with rain... The purpose of this post is to share MY experience with rain, so you can moan all you want, I am not here to fight or argue with anyone, I am here to show what I get. I have not yet tried to mount my router outside or on the roof, it is sitting comfortably in my study close to a window.

Here is the result of a speedtest I have just taken. I will take another one later on today and post that result as well.

img_1146.jpg

Nemus

Expert Member
So firstly, a note to all trolls, I am by no means saying that people have not experienced issues with rain... The purpose of this post is to share MY experience with rain, so you can moan all you want, I am not here to fight or argue with anyone, I am here to show what I get. I have not yet tried to mount my router outside or on the roof, it is sitting comfortably in my study close to a window.

Here is the result of a speedtest I have just taken. I will take another one later on today and post that result as well.

View attachment 878845

Try other speed test apps as well. Rain used to perform very well on SOME speedtests, but fared terribly in reality for downloading or browsing. Almost like they ensured the speedtest IPs were given extra tunnel girth.

Fjorko

Expert Member

View attachment 878845
Hey there, my comment was tongue in cheek - i'm just joking most of the time. Enjoy your rain connection. I'm glad it's working lekker for you. Hope it stays like that. Your upload speed sux though.

Evil-Twin

Try other speed test apps as well. Rain used to perform very well on SOME speedtests, but fared terribly in reality for downloading or browsing. Almost like they ensured the speedtest IPs were given extra tunnel girth.
Point taken... Do you have any recommendations apart from speedtest.net and mybroadband speedtest?