Rain 5G. I am impressed!

Nemus

Expert Member
Point taken... Do you have any recommendations apart from speedtest.net and mybroadband speedtest?

https://www.fibretiger.co.za/speedtest (One page with multiple speed tests)

Evil-Twin

Hey there, my comment was tongue in cheek - i'm just joking most of the time. Enjoy your rain connection. I'm glad it's working lekker for you. Hope it stays like that. Your upload speed sux though.
No worries, I have a thick skin and don't get offended easily. Regarding the upload speed, I agree it is not good at all, so I will be logging a ticket with rain to see what can be done.

On a side note, here is a picture taken next to the router, so this is basically what the router sees. You will notice there is a lot in the way which could impact signal quality. I am quite sure if I mounted the router on my roof the upload speed would improve drastically, I am just too lazy to get a ladder and a drill and mount it, so for now this will do, but I might end up mounting it on the outside wall at some point, just need to get off my arse and get it done :p

view.JPG

Evil-Twin

Which area are you located? Did you trey get better speeds by placing CPE nearer a window / on the roof?
Located in Sydenham, Johannesburg. It is sitting next to a window but there is a lot in the way which I am sure impacts signal, as mentioned in my above post, I will eventually mount it outside on the wall when I decide to stop being lazy...

Evil-Twin

https://www.fibretiger.co.za/speedtest (One page with multiple speed tests)
Okay, so here are a few results from the speedtest sites you recommended:

It looks pretty consistent :)

Attachments

• bing.jpg
    bing.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 46
  • fast.PNG
    fast.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 44
  • mlab.PNG
    mlab.PNG
    37.4 KB · Views: 40
  • mybb.PNG
    mybb.PNG
    13.9 KB · Views: 40
  • speedtest dot co dot za.PNG
    speedtest dot co dot za.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 40

Nemus

Expert Member
Okay, so here are a few results from the speedtest sites you recommended:

It looks pretty consistent :)
Yip, looks pretty good. I hope for your part it stays that way.. I have parted ways as that was not the case for me, but happy for you!

Evil-Twin

Yip, looks pretty good. I hope for your part it stays that way.. I have parted ways as that was not the case for me, but happy for you!
Thanks. Its a pity that it did not work for you. Did you reach out to rain and if so, what sort of feedback did you get? The reality is that it is a potentially great service and when it works, it works very well...

Scorpion101

So firstly, a note to all trolls, I am by no means saying that people have not experienced issues with rain... The purpose of this post is to share MY experience with rain, so you can moan all you want, I am not here to fight or argue with anyone, I am here to show what I get. I have not yet tried to mount my router outside or on the roof, it is sitting comfortably in my study close to a window.

Here is the result of a speedtest I have just taken. I will take another one later on today and post that result as well.

View attachment 878845
I have to agree with him. I have been a forum member for a decent amount of time and i must say initially the Posts here were to help members with technical issues. Once we as members failed to achieve this you have the option of approaching the ISP/ service provider to assist. The trump card with Rain has always been " Month to Month" if you not happy with what you paying for cancel and move on.

nad_isa

I have to agree with him. I have been a forum member for a decent amount of time and i must say initially the Posts here were to help members with technical issues. Once we as members failed to achieve this you have the option of approaching the ISP/ service provider to assist. The trump card with Rain has always been " Month to Month" if you not happy with what you paying for cancel and move on.

The comments are more banter than anything else but OP took it in his stride. majority of the forum is still here to help. The comments also come from people who have been through the ups (which the OP is going through) and then the downs seen in most of the threads in the rain section.

Evil-Twin

Quick update, between 13:03 and 13:07 I conducted speedtests through mybroadband, speedtest.net and speedtest.co.za and here are the results. To ensure consistency, I will conduct tests again at around 6 this evening and then at around 9 tonight to see if the results are in the same ball park.

1303 pm mybb.PNG

speedtest.net
1303 pm speedtest dot net.png

speedtest.co.za
1303 pm speedtest dot co dot za.PNG

Kiemo

Expert Member

Evil-Twin

New speedtests conducted between 17:50 and 17:56 pm. Seems consistent thus far. I will post new test results at around 9 pm.

MyBroadband:

1751 pm mybb.PNG

Speedtest.net:

1751 pm speedtest dot net.PNG

Speedtest.co.za

1751 pm speedtest dot co dot za.PNG

Evil-Twin

As promised, here is the latest speedtest results. As per usual, I have conducted tests via mybroadband, speedtest.net and speedtest.co.za. Test results seem to be consistent thus far. I will post again tomorrow morning.

MyBroadband:

2048 pm mybb.PNG

Speedtest.net:

2048 pm speedtest dot net.PNG

Speedtest.co.za:

2048 pm speedtest dot co dot za.PNG

nad_isa

looking good so far. like you said, hack off some branches so that upload can be bumped up as well..

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
That upload though wow its bad.. You should be getting aroudn 200Mbps+ as they state, i get 240-450Mbps depending on the time of the day, but upload for me is always a solid 64-70Mbps
Your signal is actually bad you probably just on a tower that has no other users yet

ngoni615

That upload though wow its bad.. You should be getting aroudn 200Mbps+ as they state, i get 240-450Mbps depending on the time of the day, but upload for me is always a solid 64-70Mbps
Your signal is actually bad you probably just on a tower that has no other users yet
Any speedtest to substantiate your claims?