Rain 5G. I am impressed!

Evil-Twin

Here are the latest speedtest results conducted. Done through mybroadband, speedtest.net and speedtest.co.za. Tests done between 16:00 and 16:07 pm.

MyBroadband:

1603 pm mybb.PNG

Speedtest.net:

1603 pm speedtest dot net.PNG

Speedtest.co.za

1603 pm speedtest dot co dot za.PNG

Evil-Twin

Hi all, I apologize for not posting results over the last few days, I had a personal issue to deal with.

Here are the latest speedtest results conducted. Done through mybroadband, speedtest.net and speedtest.co.za. Tests done between 08:27 and 08:31 this morning. The results are still consistent, although I have noticed that upload speeds have improved.

MyBroadband:

0828 am mybb.PNG

Speedtest.net:

0827 am speedtest dot net.PNG

Speedtest.co.za:

0830 am speedtest dot co dot za.PNG

Evil-Twin

Here are the latest speedtest results conducted. Done through mybroadband, speedtest.net and speedtest.co.za. Tests done between 10:15 am and 10:19 am. I have noticed a massive improvement on my upload speeds.

1017 am mybb.PNG

1019 am speedtest dot co dot za.PNG

1015 am speedtest dot net.PNG

Evil-Twin

Here are the latest speedtest results conducted. Done through mybroadband, speedtest.net and speedtest.co.za.

mybb.PNG

speedtest dot net.PNG

speedtest dot co dot za.PNG

rustypup

Expert Member
Can we agree that speedtests during great throughput moments are fracking useless because we all know the throughput fluctuates during the day?

Maybe include a few hours of pingplotter outputs. Because repeatedly power cycling/resetting the router to reacquire signal are random disconnects is SOP for RAIN's service.

Evil-Twin

Can we agree that speedtests during great throughput moments are fracking useless because we all know the throughput fluctuates during the day?

Maybe include a few hours of pingplotter outputs. Because repeatedly power cycling/resetting the router to reacquire signal are random disconnects is SOP for RAIN's service.
I have noticed that my results are quite consistent throughout the day. However, I am willing to take your point of view into consideration and will do so.

rustypup

Expert Member
Before your prior delightful entries lead others astray - this is the true RAIN experience.
1596720417849.png

Clear gaps reflecting "speeds" between 4 and 300 Mb. It's not consistent, fluctuating wildly, with jitter and ping roundtrip all over the place.

Not forgetting the regular, sometimes sustained, disconnects some of which will require power cycling the router to clear, others which will require resetting to factory defaults to clear.

RAIN's issues are well documented. I ask why this valiant effort to paint them out of their well-deserved penalty box?

powermzii

Expert Member
Before your prior delightful entries lead others astray - this is the true RAIN experience.
View attachment 888232

Clear gaps reflecting "speeds" between 4 and 300 Mb. It's not consistent, fluctuating wildly, with jitter and ping roundtrip all over the place.

Not forgetting the regular, sometimes sustained, disconnects some of which will require power cycling the router to clear, others which will require resetting to factory defaults to clear.

RAIN's issues are well documented. I ask why this valiant effort to paint them out of their well-deserved penalty box?

Some people on here are getting decent and reliable throughput on RAIN - while they may be the minority they do exist. Your graphic above illustrates what most people who have complained are experiencing but it also doesn't invalidate OP and their experiences, neither does OPs invalidate yours

Bottom line is Rain do have a lot of work to do from a network stability and customer service aspect...

Evil-Twin

A new cell in a new area? One of the first on that cell? Report back in two weeks time, after Covid 19 has had a go......
When I started this thread, my intention was very simple... I wanted to share my experience as a rain user. And if you took the time to actually read this thread, you would have noticed that I post at least every two weeks so your request for me to "Report back in two weeks time, after Covid 19 has had a go......" can only answered by me saying um, duh for reals? Seriously, I have posted consistent results time and time again. And the trolls have come out and said that my connectivity will slow down within a few weeks. Well, IT HAS BEEN A FEW WEEKS AND GUESS WHAT? MY CONNECTIVITY HAS ONLY IMPROVED!

So @Geoff.D, I will post my results in a weeks time, in two weeks time, in a months time and every week and month for the next 10 years. I am simply saying that rain works really well for me and it seems it works really well for other people.

Where in South Africa can you get unlimited, uncapped, unshaped internet for R999 a month without signing a contract, just month to month? You tell me where I can get that and I will buy it immediately!

Last edited:

Evil-Twin

View attachment 888232

Are you on 4G or 5G? I would like to see your results over a period of a few days to see how consistent and/or inconsistent they are?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
When I started this thread, my intention was very simple... I wanted to share my experience as a rain user. And if you took the time to actually read this thread, you would have noticed that I post at least every two weeks so your request for me to "Report back in two weeks time, after Covid 19 has had a go......" can only answered by me saying um, duh for reals? Seriously, I have posted consistent results time and time again. And the trolls have come out and said that my connectivity will slow down within a few weeks. Well, IT HAS BEEN A FEW WEEKS AND GUESS WHAT? MY CONNECTIVITY HAS ONLY IMPROVED!

So @Geoff.D, I will post my results in a weeks time, in two weeks time, in a months time and every week and month for the next 10 years. I am simply saying that rain works really well for me and it seems it works really well for other people.

Where in South Africa can you get unlimited, uncapped, unshaped internet for R999 a month without signing a contract, just month to month? You tell me where I can get that and I will buy it immediately!

Hmm, trod on your toes have I?

What an overreaction to a pretty tongue in cheek comment, but seeing you want to pick a fight now, here goes:

1. I have been following your thread since you started it.

2. What attracted to me was not your post about how happy you were with Rain but rather your posts about what you had to say about fibre, because it showed just how little understanding you have about what connectivity means, and why possibly you think these so-called "speeds" are so "impressive".

3. Others' have pointed out how lucky you are because not everyone gets the performance you get from Rain.

4. Then you replied to a request to state that you were located in Sydenham JHB.

5. Then requests for you to post some pingplotter results went unheard.

6. Then someone suggested you post a range of test results from different speed tests, which you started to provide.

7. I then put together a spreadsheet of the results you posted to see if there was an improvement over time as you claim.

8. And then you responded with the rather incredible sudden improvement which is so drastic that something had to have changed. Either you moved to a new location, moved the Rain ODU from inside to outside, or, Rain pulled finger and did something pretty drastic about their backhaul capacity and routing, or, you are now connecting to a new base station closer to you than the previous one.

So which is it?

Still have the fibre connection?

Why not post "speedtests" over the fibre to show why you think these results are:

"Yes, but it is extremely slow and very expensive. I have Telkom fibre, and it really does not work well."

And lastly, answer the post where you were requested to post pingplotter results because that is about the only thing that will really show how wonderful your claims are about Rain.

Last edited:

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Yes, but it is extremely slow and very expensive. I have Telkom fibre, and it really does not work well. I am busy testing out Vodacom LTE, Cell C LTE, and rain 5G at the moment, so I have multiple wifi networks running and I change between them and test them throughout the day (Covid-19, so I work from home and have a lot of time on my hands).
So wait, you are saying fibre is slow and that Rain 5G is better?
Cool story.