Rain 5G. I am impressed!

ngoni615

Hmm, trod on your toes have I?

What an overreaction to a pretty tongue in cheek comment, but seeing you want to pick a fight now, here goes:

1. I have been following your thread since you started it.

2. What attracted to me was not your post about how happy you were with Rain but rather your posts about what you had to say about fibre, because it showed just how little understanding you have about what connectivity means, and why possibly you think these so-called "speeds" are so "impressive".

3. Others' have pointed out how lucky you are because not everyone gets the performance you get from Rain.

4. Then you replied to a request to state that you were located in Sydenham JHB.

5. Then requests for you to post some pingplotter results went unheard.

6. Then someone suggested you post a range of test results from different speed tests, which you started to provide.

7. I then put together a spreadsheet of the results you posted to see if there was an improvement over time as you claim.

8. And then you responded with the rather incredible sudden improvement which is so drastic that something had to have changed. Either you moved to a new location, moved the Rain ODU from inside to outside, or, Rain pulled finger and did something pretty drastic about their backhaul capacity or, you are now connecting to a new base station closer to you than the previous one.

So which is it?

Still have the fibre connection?

Why not post "speedtests" over the fibre to show why you think these results are:

"Yes, but it is extremely slow and very expensive. I have Telkom fibre, and it really does not work well."

And lastly, answer the post where you were requested to post pingplotter results because that is about the ony thing that will really show how wonderful your claims are about Rain.
I am just going to grab some popcorn

Evil-Twin

Hmm, trod on your toes have I?

What an overreaction to a pretty tongue in cheek comment, but seeing you want to pick a fight now, here goes:

My responses to your points are in bold and underlined.

I do not want to pick a fight, but if you want to be petty, I will call you out on it. You say I do not have an understanding about what connectivity means? Seriously? Please notice when I joined MyBroadband... 10 June 2005. That is 15 years ago. So I do not claim to be an expert regarding connectivity, but you have the audacity to insult me by stating I do not understand it? I used to use IRC on zanet.org.za, zanet.net and even before then on dalnet. I know connectivity and I was more than likely on the internet before you were born.

1. I have been following your thread since you started it.

1. Good for you.

2. What attracted to me was not your post about how happy you were with Rain but rather your posts about what you had to say about fibre, because it showed just how little understanding you have about what connectivity means, and why possibly you think these so-called "speeds" are so "impressive".

2. As far as fibre is concerned, please see my speedtest results here:

speedtest dot net.PNG

speedtest dot co dot za.PNG

mybb speedtest.PNG

3. Others' have pointed out how lucky you are because not everyone gets the performance you get from Rain.

3. I am not lucky, I simply spent some time repositioning my router to get the best and most consistent speeds.

4. Then you replied to a request to state that you were located in Sydenham JHB.

4. Yes, that is correct. What is your point?

5. Then requests for you to post some pingplotter results went unheard.

5. Please provide those links, I do not have time to go through this entire thread to find that request.

6. Then someone suggested you post a range of test results from different speed tests, which you started to provide.

6. Yes that is correct.

7. I then put together a spreadsheet of the results you posted to see if there was an improvement over time as you claim.

7. Yay. I would love you to email that spreadsheet. Send me a DM and i'll give you my email address.

8. And then you responded with the rather incredible sudden improvement which is so drastic that something had to have changed. Either you moved to a new location, moved the Rain ODU from inside to outside, or, Rain pulled finger and did something pretty drastic about their backhaul capacity and routing, or, you are now connecting to a new base station closer to you than the previous one.

8. The improvement was due to me repositioning my router.

So which is it?

Still have the fibre connection?

Yes I still have fibre. I have cancelled it and given 30 days notice.

Why not post "speedtests" over the fibre to show why you think these results are:

The speedtest I have conducted over fibre are shown above, as you can see, its very impressive! (Please note my sarcasm). And I pay MORE for fibre than I do for rain.

And lastly, answer the post where you were requested to post pingplotter results because that is about the only thing that will really show how wonderful your claims are about Rain.

Cool, send me the link and I will conduct the tests!

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
1. Hmm, you have a problem in using forums effectively?
2. Membership and experience?

1599477099475.png
Born yesterday am I? You seems to have a reading problem.

3. Speedtest done AFTER you have cancelled the connection? Really? Nothing to justify your original post? If that was the performance you got then why did you not record a fault?

How is this for a speedtest on my Telkom/Openserve connection?
20020-09-07 13:30
1599478847919.png

10/10 Mbps connection, consistent since the upgrade to 10/10. Will look for earlier tests done before the upgrade from the minimum 5/2 that I had before.

4. Lucky or unlucky? So you did reposition? Is the ODU now in fact outdoors or still inside?
What did you do except moving a chair around the deck of the Titanic?

5. Experienced since 2005? and you don't know how to do and where to find pingplotter? Really? Expert at surfing the web and can't find it yourself? did not see the post where you were asked to do such a plot? Not me originally.

6. Can't see from the fibre test whether you have got it set up correctly or it is just plain faulty. Really? Criticise a service that on the surface anyway, you are unable to evaluate?

Your entire thread is on quicksand at the moment.

Last edited:

ngoni615

Popcorn is no longer needed. I get along with most people, just not people like Geoff. I am not here to fight, I am here to add value to the tech industry. So, I will say it again, well done Geoff, you have destroyed what could have potentially been a good and productive discussion.

I will say this one last time, Geoff DO NOT follow my threads or my posts. Go bully someone else.
Eish bro. it does not have to get ugly mate. Yeah the forum is to share infor and stuff.

nad_isa

play nice gents... Wusaaaaa.....

on a note related to this thread - what did you do for your CPE positioning? outside? on a pole? Chimney - any antenaa settings you used.

your speeds were great and your ping too, my ping was mostly around 18-20. today i see its 35-40 not sure if its loadshedding related even though my power hasnt been off.

rustypup

Expert Member
I remain convinced that ET is posting only intermittent BEST results...

Because positioning means jack shiat with RAIN. Contention is contention and no amount of farking around with location is going to fix that.

Speedtest results are meaningless for wireless ISPs. Always have been. Always will be.

I hope to be proven wrong but... it's RAIN. If wishes and dreams...

nad_isa

I remain convinced that ET is posting only intermittent BEST results...

Because positioning means jack shiat with RAIN. Contention is contention and no amount of farking around with location is going to fix that.

Speedtest results are meaningless for wireless ISPs. Always have been. Always will be.

I hope to be proven wrong but... it's RAIN. If wishes and dreams...

whilst speedtests might be meaningless to some its what 90% of us know how to do and get objective figures that shows something which can be used for comparison.

im also on rain 5g and get pretty much 350-400 down/100 up on average when doing speedtests. only issues ive had has pretty much been through loadshedding.

will try the ping plotter.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
That is the point. If someone has found a solution to the poor performance of Rain, then we would all be very interested. In my area, a 5G node showed up but disappeared almost as fast about a week ago and has not been seen since. I suspect the LS sessions is what has killed it off.

rustypup

Expert Member
get objective figures
That's just it. Speedtest is not objective for wireless. You need something that covers more than a few seconds to truly measure a WISP.

There are thousands of tools available to do just that. Some in existence since the '80s.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
whilst speedtests might be meaningless to some its what 90% of us know how to do and get objective figures that shows something which can be used for comparison.

im also on rain 5g and get pretty much 350-400 down/100 up on average when doing speedtests. only issues ive had has pretty much been through loadshedding.

will try the ping plotter.
Pingplotter will help in localising where the problem is but a simple tracert or winmtr will do that as well, just not so colourful with pingplotter's fancy graphics.

nad_isa

That is the point. If someone has found a solution to the poor performance of Rain, then we would all be very interested. In my area, a 5G node showed up but disappeared almost as fast about a week ago and has not been seen since. I suspect the LS sessions is what has killed it off.

how do you know if new 5g nodes show up?

nad_isa

That's just it. Speedtest is not objective for wireless. You need something that covers more than a few seconds to truly measure a WISP.

There are thousands of tools available to do just that. Some in existence since the '80s.
what i meant was it is what most people understand and readily available. objective in that you using the same methodology to do your own tests. whether its best suited is another story.

im sure there is but like i said, not ones that for me is readily available or understood by me. so i do the speedtests.