Rain 5G in Cape Town. What a fail.

KopiteZA

Hi guys. I'm interested to know if anyone can offer any insight as to why Rain decided to put their 5G towers only in areas that already have fibre? I checked their coverage map and every single area they've decided to cover already has fibre. Why would they want to compete with fibre companies who offers a better product for more or less the same price? Why not go straight for the areas where there's massive congestion on their LTE networks, those same areas where theres no fibre or even ADSL?
I think many people can afford the cheaper 699 5G product because almost everyone is on the 479 LTE package. I've come to this conclusion because even after 6pm when there's supposed to be less congestion after the 250 people has been kicked off, I still cant get anything over 1mb. So why not kill two birds with one stone, take advantage of the available market who's still without decent connectivity, AND alleviate the congestion caused by having literally hundreds of people connected to a single LTE tower.
Honestly, I'm just shaking my head at these big telecoms companies right now. They're choosing to ignore the less affluent, poorer areas but if they do their research properly they'll see just how willing people are to spend that little extra to have a decent connection. Anyways, can @rain_mobile or @rain_networks give us an ETA on when they'll be focusing on the northern suburbs for 5G? Specifically the Bluedowns area?

373_Titan

My thoughts exactly. For some odd reason, @rain_mobile & @rain_networks have been myopic (and redundant) in how they have been deploying their 5G networks, going to areas that already have a superior product in FTTH, while neglecting less affluent areas and some townships because they think we can't afford it.

In many ways, this highlights how SA companies are lazy to think or to even undertake a small bit of research to learn some of the insights to help build their businesses. Township does not automatically equate to poor, there are some areas of Atteridgeville (a township in PTA West) where the GDP (and ARPU) could easily surpass some of the traditional so-called surburbs. And there is, in many cases, in these areas an opportunity created by Telkom's abandonment of DSL and Dark Fibre (DFA) already trenched for uses of backhaul.

Shift your thinking @rain_networks don't duplicate your 5G offering in areas where there are superior technologies and the increased likelihood that consumers will pick fixed-line, solid, dependable fibre over wireless 5G ANYDAY!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Hi guys. I'm interested to know if anyone can offer any insight as to why Rain decided to put their 5G towers only in areas that already have fibre? I checked their coverage map and every single area they've decided to cover already has fibre. Why would they want to compete with fibre companies who offers a better product for more or less the same price? Why not go straight for the areas where there's massive congestion on their LTE networks, those same areas where theres no fibre or even ADSL?
I think many people can afford the cheaper 699 5G product because almost everyone is on the 479 LTE package. I've come to this conclusion because even after 6pm when there's supposed to be less congestion after the 250 people has been kicked off, I still cant get anything over 1mb. So why not kill two birds with one stone, take advantage of the available market who's still without decent connectivity, AND alleviate the congestion caused by having literally hundreds of people connected to a single LTE tower.
Honestly, I'm just shaking my head at these big telecoms companies right now. They're choosing to ignore the less affluent, poorer areas but if they do their research properly they'll see just how willing people are to spend that little extra to have a decent connection. Anyways, can @rain_mobile or @rain_networks give us an ETA on when they'll be focusing on the northern suburbs for 5G? Specifically the Bluedowns area?
Que? https://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadband/359775-uncapped-broadband-prices-fibre-dsl-lte-and-5g.html

Rain 5G200Mbps100MbpsR999
MTN 5G200Mbps100MbpsR1,249
Fibre200Mbps100MbpsR1,497
Rain is R500 cheaper...

Reactions: Yuu

373_Titan

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

373_Titan

Agreed, test results looked good and @cavedog gets good results. And I am to be corrected here, but the point in question is not the quality of the product.

Comparatively, Fibre trumps 5G, but 5G is better than no G, no fibre. So, the point I think I am trying to make here is that, instead of catering to areas that already have a plethora of choices Fibre, 5G and 40Mbps VDSL, why not direct their investment to areas that either i) have DSL decommissioned ii) never had DSL iii) only have patchy LTE coverage iv) are NOT going to get FTTH anytime soon.

Most areas in SA have DFA dark fibre running around the neighbourhoods, so backhaul is possible, even in townships.

There is a case to be made that maybe @rain_networks focused on the wrong areas, a "top down approach", when it would have served them better in the long term to capture areas that are realistically not getting fibre soon, a 'bottom up" approach.

A simple BCG Matrix analysis could have helped. rain 5G will, and is probably already experiencing, high consumer churn in areas largely covered by FTTH or are in the process of getting builds done.

KopiteZA

Sure, Rain is cheaper than the opposition if you look at it that way, but what I meant is fibre is better as in there's no silly limitation like how many HD streams i can watch, and no capping of video streams to 376p. What's the use of giving me 30mb speed if I can only use it for one 720p stream?
Look, at the moment I'm willing to take Rain's offering because there's no other company that's gonna give me uncapped for 699. I'll make do with a 720p stream. But I promise you as soon as I can get a 10mb fibre line in my area for 599 then I'm dropping Rain. Cybersmart offers 20mb uncapped for R700, and I'm sure you can get a helluva lot more value out of their package than what you get from Rain.
End of the day, I'll take whatever I can get just to be able to watch Netflix properly. Anything so I dont have to wait a day just to download a movie.
Maybe Vuma Reach scared them away from underprivileged communities with their 399 for 20mb fibre offering, we'll never know until we hear from @rain_networks @rain_mobile. Slaan ek die spyker op die kop?

Crumbl0x

I'll have to side with @Dretastic06 here, rain absolutely on paper beats fibre in the same margin and then some, but there's a higher average of complaints and speed fluctuations than fibre and some would rather take the a secure and robust 50mbps for example over this, and unlike 4G, areas deployed are already >90% covered in fibre so the excuse of 'nothing better to pick' doesn't exist. This is coming from someone who was ecstatic to get 50-70mbps on their LTE offering before more people started to hop on and the service became useless to me, it can happen to anyone for any reason if their infra doesn't keep up.

nad_isa

I hear you.. re: areas being targeted by tech companies for rollouts. unfortunately certain areas are being left behind
with adsl (if you lucky) and LTE is either insanely expensive (MTN/Voda) or service/quality is crap most of the time (Rain) - I live in an area where I'm currently on Telkom adsl 10mbps but I have little other choice for comparative price and stability.

I have been through LTE and even wireless dish point to point internet. I have the money but no supply to fulfil my demand.

I was excited to see trenching in my area only to discover it is the vumareach product. whilst great for price (399 for 20mbps) there is only ONE linespeed option
(20mbps)
and 3 ISPs to choose from. also the router is locked down and you cant bridge the modem or access router settings and no process to request this. (I run my own router and network setup with NVR, home automation etc).

I was last week excited to see I fall in 5g range for rain which is great. but now hear they implement CGNAT :X3:.

one step forward, 2 steps back. and I don't have much choice.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Indeed I would signed up also, all the areas around me have fibre so they have backhaul for 5g tower, just a pity my area will never see fibre, but 40mps vdsl works at-least.

Dretastic06

I hear you.. re: areas being targeted by tech companies for rollouts. unfortunately certain areas are being left behind
with adsl (if you lucky) and LTE is either insanely expensive (MTN/Voda) or service/quality is crap most of the time (Rain) - I live in an area where I'm currently on Telkom adsl 10mbps but I have little other choice for comparative price and stability.

I have been through LTE and even wireless dish point to point internet. I have the money but no supply to fulfil my demand.

I was excited to see trenching in my area only to discover it is the vumareach product. whilst great for price (399 for 20mbps) there is only ONE linespeed option
(20mbps)
and 3 ISPs to choose from. also the router is locked down and you cant bridge the modem or access router settings and no process to request this. (I run my own router and network setup with NVR, home automation etc).

I was last week excited to see I fall in 5g range for rain which is great. but now hear they implement CGNAT :X3:.

one step forward, 2 steps back. and I don't have much choice.
im getting Bitco 30mbps/15mpbs service installed tomorrow, and have only seen good things about having them as a WISP

Leno

Expert Member
Hi guys. I'm interested to know if anyone can offer any insight as to why Rain decided to put their 5G towers only in areas that already have fibre?

One reason could be that in an area with fibre, there will probably be backbone fibre infrastructure already available for the tower to use for backhaul, vs having to build this out themselvs.

KopiteZA

One reason could be that in an area with fibre, there will probably be backbone fibre infrastructure already available for the tower to use for backhaul, vs having to build this out themselvs.
Sounds about right, that's definitely something I can believe was their reasoning behind where towers will go up. Was hoping to hear from @rain_networks though, that dude was so forthcoming and open with his answers the first few days he was here. Seems like they put the muzzle on him!

373_Titan

Sounds about right, that's definitely something I can believe was their reasoning behind where towers will go up. Was hoping to hear from @rain_networks though, that dude was so forthcoming and open with his answers the first few days he was here. Seems like they put the muzzle on him!

Looking at an overlay of DFA network and @rain_mobile's 5G coverage (in my area- Pretoria west areas), it looks like they were able to build using DFA dark fibre network for their towers and that network actually extends into my township, meaning it is entirely possible, just no appetite.

Prim0

I wonder what sort of impact VumaReach/MitchellsFibre will have to Rain's 5G rollout. I know a few people, myself included that area for the most part is being covered by them(VR/MF) but some other parts are not. This would have been ideal for those areas excluded from the Fibre rollout and have the option for 5G instead but why would Rain rollout into an area that in large parts are covered by a much cheaper, more reliable option.