Rain 5G in Pretoria North?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Sim rica'd and activated. Will still move it around a bit to find optimal location.
Not great relative to other Rain 5g speeds reported.. but far better than my more expensive 10mb adsl (earliest test is my adsl connection)

View attachment 770926
View attachment 770928
Do post some signal stats if you don't mind.

From my tests something to note. 5G SINR means nothing and the 5G RSRP is more important. I get better speeds in a place with lower RSRP and lower SINR than a place with higher SINR and higher RSRP.

From LTE SINR is the noise and you usually want that higher but with 5G not so much. The SINR does not have that much impact on speeds. Just rotating your CPE will see you lose 200Mbps on a speedtest but signal stats might be perfect.

KingBel

Expert Member
Do post some signal stats if you don't mind.

From my tests something to note. 5G SINR means nothing and the 5G RSRP is more important. I get better speeds in a place with lower RSRP and lower SINR than a place with higher SINR and higher RSRP.

From LTE SINR is the noise and you usually want that higher but with 5G not so much. The SINR does not have that much impact on speeds. Just rotating your CPE will see you lose 200Mbps on a speedtest but signal stats might be perfect.
Hi
Fairly new to this.. where do I find the signal stats? On the admin menu?
Checked my speeds yesterday evening and it dropped to 25Mbps for most of the evening .. still double what I had before, but nowhere near what it's supposed to be.

mrlgm007

Hi
Fairly new to this.. where do I find the signal stats? On the admin menu?
Checked my speeds yesterday evening and it dropped to 25Mbps for most of the evening .. still double what I had before, but nowhere near what it's supposed to be.
Which unit no you have ?

11Snowman11

Any idea on location?
I know one is at the corner of President Steyn and Veldkornet (Magalies Wapensmede)
The 2nd tower I suspect is around Heatherdale cemetery somewhere (believe it is the one close to the corner of Willem Cruywagen and 5th Avenue)

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I know one is at the corner of President Steyn and Veldkornet (Magalies Wapensmede)
The 2nd tower I suspect is around Heatherdale cemetery somewhere (believe it is the one close to the corner of Willem Cruywagen and 5th Avenue)
Wasn't there already a tower of another company located there? Any idea who, if it is indeed so?

pilotwerrie

Anyone else been having 5G issues the last 4/5 days? Especially if surrounding areas have load-shedding?

I am rebooting the router 2/3 times daily in order to get signal restored ...

I am close to voortrekker eufees school ...

cavedog

Honorary Master
5G towers does not have battery backup. No power no 5G. If there is another tower close by or close enough to catch your CPE then it will switch to it. Sometimes the data connection does drop and show 5G and 4G but no data connection. The Handover is not as seamless as 4G and believe the reason for this is because th 5G drops on that tower but the 65573 - 4G still stays up so it does not register when the 5G swaps to another tower.

11Snowman11

5G ordered. Lets hope I can get some decent speeds with the expanded coverage

werfie

Expert Member
Anyone else been having 5G issues the last 4/5 days? Especially if surrounding areas have load-shedding?

I am rebooting the router 2/3 times daily in order to get signal restored ...

I am close to voortrekker eufees school ...
Yes, does slow down quite a bit when Florauna, Dorandia & Wolmer has loadshedding.

Not sure why. I am also close to LS VE, and there is a Rain 5G tower on the scool property which is part of PTA North Loadshedding.

Napalm

Expert Member
Those speeds don't even look like 5G at all. I've seen 4G pumping to at least 300-400mbit with good signal.

5G in my mind would be anything above the 800mbit mark. maybe 1gbit to 1.5gbit or 2gbit.

Anything below 300mbit is still 4G in my books.

pilotwerrie

Agreed Napalm.

I am thinking that we should maybe start a WhatsApp group for Pretoria North Rain 5G consumers ... we could share info regarding network down times and other related issues?? It could be beneficial to us all to always know what's going on ...

Please send me your opinions?

Currently the network is down (11/2/2020 18:53). I phoned them and got hold of Themba that confirmed all towers (2) are currently showing alarms (both 4G and 5G), but he does not know why or what it means. He escalated the fault and will try and get a techie out tonight or tomorrow morning.

11Snowman11

Received my order today and compared to November things are looking much better. I was only able to setup inside as it was almost dark when I arrived home. We receive around 2-3 bars on the 5G inside in the room closest to the tower and had a few small jumps to 4 bars. I believe I will be able to get on the roof tomorrow afternoon. However, the activation optimizer keeps running so I am not really able to see what speeds we are getting.

Here is a pic I took for the stats (not the best, but I think it will improve if I get on the roof)

stats.png

cavedog

Honorary Master
NR not looking the best but mounted outside might show a different picture.