Rain 5G is here - Ultra-fast internet for R1,000 per month

enerdude

Expert Member
Because the two perform the same apart from the attenuation factor as I pointed out. Where adsl was performing sub par it was generally due to poor backhaul. Fibre isn't going to miraculously solve that on an oversubscribed network. Adsl could still have had a long lifespan if it was handled correctly by Telkom and allowing open access.
Adsl was only performing sub par due to poor backhaul when you have a crappy ISP with a crap network. There will be more healthy competition as fibre spreads and if you have an "oversubscribed" network you just move to another ISP. Face it adsl had too many problems, the biggest being the copper being stolen and it taking telkom ages to replace. Fibre is less susceptible and have better security in place to detect tampering (I have spoken to somephone that lay fibre myself)

There are a few people complaining of low speeds on fibre. So far it's been put down to badly run networks but I don't think that's the case.
Like I said before, show me 'those people' and I will almost guarantee you it is a badly run network or related to other non-contention issues.
This argument make me think of the people in the xiaomi thread complaining the mi box has bad wifi but in the meantime they must just change the channel on their router to fix the issue.

Sure but fibre isn't immune to most of those. Adsl was only limited to the dslams installed. Ironically Telkom artificially limited it by insisting on a pots line as well. Weather and other interference? Never heard of those having a big impact except with direct strikes which are a rarity.
I would say it is 99% immune to those issues. I do support for a lot of small businesses and the area I serve is not immune to lightning strikes at all. Most of my business was replacing UPSs, PSUs and modems - a huge issue with copper lines. And had a few customers in areas that was badly maintained by telkom where the terminating box for the adsl was not properly sealed and the moss was growing on the terminals causing the lines to fail.

So yeah plenty of weather related issues

Romito

Expert Member
So this is Rain's answer to FTTH for those without infrastructure. If those suggested speeds are at all a reality, then it will do a lot to try to bridge the gap for those who can't get Fibre. I hope it launches sooner rather than later, it will give the so called Fixed LTE ISP's a run for their money with their mediocre offerings.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Unfortunately R1000 uncapped will see it get congested very soon.

People will fire up huge downloads 7pm at night when other stream 4k will probably see the tower get slow.

One good thing though is that the spectrum that Rain is allocating is a decent size so there is more bandwidth available compared to LTE.

This is no doubt a very attractive offer. SA moving in the right direction if you see the pityful data allocations that people in the US get on T-Mobile.

At R1000 per month it's probably one of the lowest priced 5G packages.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
Now if only they would release 24/7 uncapped on their 4G, I would be happy
If only people would realise that this is impossible. Even 5G spectrum won't be enough to give everybody hundreds of megabits. The bandwidth simply doesn't exist and it is expensive to build towers every 200m.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
If only people would realise that this is impossible. Even 5G spectrum won't be enough to give everybody hundreds of megabits. The bandwidth simply doesn't exist and it is expensive to build towers every 200m.
Then you up the price from R250 to something like R600.

Super_Sonic

Jup, pretty funny that under what should be ideal circumstances the latency is high and the speed is low.

Considering how over subscribes they allow their network to be it honestly doesn't surprise me.
yeah but its got to go the long way round the radio waves the servers inside the cellphone mast then through the fibre to the Servers in the data centre which makes it 8.23milliseconds :/

Yskasmetnstoof

Rain 5G is here - Ultra-fast internet for R1,000 per month

Rain has launched its new 5G service, offering “unlimited ultra-fast Internet” with speeds of up to 700 Mbps.

“Your state-of-the-art 5G home router will connect all your family's devices with the latest WiFi, allowing everyone to stream as much as they like without worrying about data usage,” Rain said.
I don't believe them. I was taken in by their fixed LTE. That quickly went to pieces and left my paying thousand rand per month for a connection that regularly ran at UNDER 5 mbps. It started out at 40.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Register your interest here to be informed when this service is available in your area.

(I registered even though I will probably have to wait 5 years, or more... )

sand_man

Honorary Master
Model in pic is the
Huawei 5G CPE Pro (H112-372 and H112-370)

Huawei first commercial 5G Router

* Based on world’s first 5G multimode modem chipset Balong 5000

* Peak Download Speed up to 3.2Gbps

* Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band(2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)

* Telecommunication Standard: 3GPP Release 15

* Support 5G Frequency Band: n41/n77/n78/n79

* Two variant models: H112-372 and H112-370
Can one hook an external antenna up to it?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Idle curiosity: Does anyone know whose gNB engines Rain is using for their 5G? Huawei? ZTE? Nokia? Ericsson?