Rain 5G Standard + VPN: Download Speed Drops by 90%

capek

I have ordered the Rain Unlimited Home 5G Standard package and also get 30 MB/s Download speed in Cape Town City Bowl. However, when connecting via a VPN (NordVPN) to their nearest server in South Africa, speed drops to 2-3 MB/s which is not what I should get. Usually, the speed drops bei 10-30% max but certainly not 90%.

I was in contact with NordVPN's support for more than one hour and we tried different servers and protocols, a router reset, a manual connection method. Nothing helps.

He said that "it is something related to the router" that I should contact my ISP and ask if they block any VPN connections or certain ports.

Is this possible? Please kindly respond with feedback on this matter because I am trying to figure out if the 5G router is the right choice for me or not. I need the VPN to stream german TV.

I also checked the same setup with my pay as you use 4G Rain SIM. Here I got download speeds of 68 MB/s without VPN and 48 MB/s with VPN which equates to a speed drop of 29% which is still okay. I am wondering why the speed drop is so high for the 5G router though...

netstrider

Expert Member
While they cannot see what you're doing over a VPN, they can determine that you are using one and shape/throttle that.

Whether they actually do that, I don't know.

I tried NordVPN once but found it significantly slower than ExpressVPN for example.

Can't comment much on the privacy of VPNs.

eg2505

Honorary Master
probably sense your using a VPN,

used cloudflare DNS with my Rain,
speeds drop then increase, then drop as their algorithm tries to figure out whats going on.

if they can determine your hotspotting, I'm sure they can see VPN's

netstrider

Expert Member
Well, yes. Since most common VPN providers have known IP addresses the ISP can simply throttle bandwidth to their VPN servers.

EDIT: A potential workaround would be to get dedicated hosting from a provider and set up your own VPN on that server. You will be limited to the country that server is in and in due time the ISP will probably block that too.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Use a proper VPN. Nord was hacked not long ago and it took them a year and a half to disclose it. No thanks! Not to mention their year round scummy 75% off sale. Windscribe build a plan is $1 per month per location and $1 for unlimited data with ROBERT adblock. Cheap as chips.

Leno

Expert Member
Try a lower MTU on the vpn

Also try Nordvpn protocol set to NordLynx if your client is up to date

capek

I tried ExpressVPN, I tried NordLynx with NordVPN, I tried Windscribe.

Download speeds still vary between 2-4 Mbps. That's just too slow for streaming purposes.

Since noone seems to monitor Rain's support inbox or they just don't care (I sent a support request almost a week ago), I will go ahead and cancel the 5G service again.

Poor support, shaping, throttling, poor service - no thanks Rain.

Anyone experience with CoolIdeas in conjunction with VPNs?

Leno

Expert Member
Pls confirm, you are mixing and matching MB/s and Mbit/s which are different

capek

Yeah, you are right, thanks. I meant Mbit/s or Mbsp or Mb/s and not MB/s. I have updated my first post accordingly.

TheRealWitblitz

I've been using a VPN (not the same service as you), and I can confirm they are shaping VPN traffic since a few days ago. They simply will NOT allow you to use the 30Mbps as advertised. They will find a way to **** you over.

The only thing they do to cover their own ass is give you the speed test result. The rest of the internet traffic is slow as ****. Even a 5Mbps ADSL connection is faster in most cases than this ****ing ****.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I've been using a VPN (not the same service as you), and I can confirm they are shaping VPN traffic since a few days ago. They simply will NOT allow you to use the 30Mbps as advertised. They will find a way to **** you over.

The only thing they do to cover their own ass is give you the speed test result. The rest of the internet traffic is slow as ****. Even a 5Mbps ADSL connection is faster in most cases than this ****ing ****.
Save your sanity and get an alternative.
They won't fix it.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

By bypassing the streaming restrictions? Lol

hardbouw

I just need add my experience here also, I recently got express vpn and also have the rain 5g home standard, I tried many different protocols with their support and all were throttled at 2-4Mbps which is useless, I cancelled the vpn service till I can get better internet speeds and or Rain admits throttling vpns and at least just throttle you to your allocated 30Mbps .

capek

I have switched to Atomic Access by now and cancelled the Rain 5G service. Couldn't be happier. Great service and support. They connected me within 2 hours after signup and VPN speeds are great.

TheRealWitblitz

They will never admit to throttling VPN. They will simply not allow you to pull down a video stream at the speed your connection is capable of. Everyone keeps saying you get what you pay for, since that's what they advertise on their homepage. But we all know it's bullshit. A RAIN 5G Standard Package (30Mbps) is more than capable of playing a single 4K video stream at 60fps. But instead it's throttled to 4Mbps, we get what we pay for, right?

capek

They will never admit to throttling VPN. They will simply not allow you to pull down a video stream at the speed your connection is capable of. Everyone keeps saying you get what you pay for, since that's what they advertise on their homepage. But we all know it's bullshit. A RAIN 5G Standard Package (30Mbps) is more than capable of playing a single 4K video stream at 60fps. But instead it's throttled to 4Mbps, we get what we pay for, right?

They won't even respond to support requests in this regard. Both my messages have been ignored. Guess we are not the kind of customer they are looking to acquire. At least they were quick in responding to my cancellation request. Now waiting for the refund.

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
They won't even respond to support requests in this regard. Both my messages have been ignored. Guess we are not the kind of customer they are looking to acquire. At least they were quick in responding to my cancellation request. Now waiting for the refund.

My apologies @capek for the late response, could you please PM me with your email address and I will assist you further with your requests.