Rain and Huawei launch Africa's first standalone 5G network

dalmine007

As far as speeds are concerned we have mixed results but generaly downloads on par with Fibre, but the problem with Rain is no port forwarding and VPNs are not allowed as per there TC, so from a business perspective It is a no go.

Mariette16

im still waiting, did not even get a sms or mail with tracking number and when i called RAM my details not on their system even and im not getting any response from any rain agent requested for help and no one gets back to me

Kaysway

I’ve never been so lost. Someone please explain this article for us.

Swa

Honorary Master
Finally real 5G. But no mention of frequencies. If it's the same as their current network I see no reason not to have the 4G fallback as the uplink distance is shorter than the downlink distance.

Joseph matane

Can't explain it like cavedog but I believe difference is core infrastructure like slicing in short performance will improve current Gauteng 5G is early version aka beta so is still 5G

Joseph matane

So what is this thing Rain calls 5G in Jhb then?
Beta version "Non Standalone" is 5G but piggyback on 4G infrastructure is like Openserve Fibre To The Cabinet
Where customer use copper infrastructure but backbone is fibre so until Openserve complete infrastructure upgrade you will be using copper services

Swa

Honorary Master
Also like to know. Assuming it's a bit much for @rpm and Co to do anything more than copy paste press releases
Their existing 5G network uses LTE for upload where distance from the tower is too far. 5G needs more transmission power so consumer devices aren't powerful enough at long distances. Would like to see what their backup is now or are they simply going with less coverage.

Riaan@s

Based on what I've seen on hellopeter and rain twitter account... There's no way I'd ever waste my money or time on them!