Rain Black Friday deals unveiled, including unlimited 4G for R299

eg2505

Honorary Master
for barely usable service? nope got better things to spend money on.

stepper

Expert Member
I would like to think the rain 4G uncapped is throttled to less than 2Mbps as they are too lazy or they simply can't distinguish which protocol is being used.

From my experience, the 24/7 package (R479) was unusable for anything but after downgrading to 19hr package(R250) I was getting speeds in excess of 25Mbps

As per youtube speed guide:
Video ResolutionRecommended sustained speed
4K20 Mbps
HD 1080p 5 Mbps
HD 720p 2.5 Mbps
SD 480p1.1 Mbps
SD 360p0.7 Mbps

McGuywer

Executive Member
Does the "unlimited home 5G standard" and "unlimited home 5G premium" routers differ?
I think the standard is only the indoor unit and the premium has the outdoor unit?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I wonder how it prevents you from using the hotspot feature on your phone. How does their network know you have turned your hotspot on on your phone?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I wonder how it prevents you from using the hotspot feature on your phone. How does their network know you have turned your hotspot on on your phone?
Probably just a limit on the maximum number of TCP connections allowed at any single time. A typical phone using a single app in the foreground will maybe use 5 TCP connections at a time. Use a VPN, bye bye restrictions.

SIM restrictions and profiles could also theoretically disable the "wifi hotspot" setting on your phone, but it's sketchy and might not work on all devices.