Rain Black Friday deals unveiled, including unlimited 4G for R299

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
I wonder how it prevents you from using the hotspot feature on your phone. How does their network know you have turned your hotspot on on your phone?
The hotspot feature works, they just don't relay traffic that did not originate on the phone. Its a simple packet filter rule on their side to block it.
Probably just a limit on the maximum number of TCP connections allowed at any single time. A typical phone using a single app in the foreground will maybe use 5 TCP connections at a time. Use a VPN, bye bye restrictions.

SIM restrictions and profiles could also theoretically disable the "wifi hotspot" setting on your phone, but it's sketchy and might not work on all devices.
Nope, not a limit on TCP connections, VPN will also not help as the hotspot bypasses any VPN on your device unless rooted.

chakniks

I wonder how it prevents you from using the hotspot feature on your phone. How does their network know you have turned your hotspot on on your phone?
It's seem like they are using ttl to block hotspot and device imei to block lte routers.
eg Android devices have ttl of 64 and they can just block traffic with different ttl introduced by the hotspot hop.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
The hotspot feature works, they just don't relay traffic that did not originate on the phone. Its a simple packet filter rule on their side to block it.

Nope, not a limit on TCP connections, VPN will also not help as the hotspot bypasses any VPN on your device unless rooted.
Well, it's not easy to distinguish what was natted from a device behind the phone, and so it depends on your phone and OS. VPN doesn't necessarily get bypassed.

But it does seem like the simple TTL trick will do. Neat easy trick, but also easily circumventable. But not for the average user I suppose.

So a combination of IMEI identification (only allow phones), a SIM profile that doesn't allow hotspot/tethering, and inspecting of the TTL will generally do the trick it seems.

Yes, it will definately stop the average user.