Rain CEO Willem Roos answers tough questions about expiring mobile data bundles

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Happy Days

Really, Staffwriter??? The first third of your article is an out-an-out piece protecting the status quo trying to negate what follows after.

You have the audacity to say
However, the argument is not as simple as mobile providers selling expiring data bundles and pocketing the breakage.

Breakage allows the operators to reduce the in-bundle price for data, which benefits consumers with lower data rates and more freedom.
when Willem Roos clearly debunks this.

You then pose your questions with the very clear intention of trying to get a justification of current practices. Bias much??

DXL

Expert Member
Dear Mr Roos ,

Since Data should never Expire and Rain is starting a new revolution with this practice.

How about R250 for 19 Hours of Data a Day and a 30Gig Bundle Added on for R100

Total Payment to rain being R350 per month.

This 30 Gigs must never expire and every month gets added onto your allocation.

So you bill fixed R350 per month per user and never expire the 30 Gigs.

I can assure you that the uptake will be so huge that it will force Rain to speed up the Tower Rollout.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I can assure you that the uptake will be so huge that it will force Rain to speed up the Tower Rollout.
“I can assure you that uptake will be so huge that Rain’s infrastructure won’t cope” is not a good argument for any telco to consider it.

Uncapped data for 19 hours a day for R250? The few will spoil it for the many as usual.

Pitbull

Verboten
Just a question, is this Willem Roos an Actuary by any chance?

If so I actually know him :D

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Dear Mr Roos ,

Since Data should never Expire and Rain is starting a new revolution with this practice.

How about R250 for 19 Hours of Data a Day and a 30Gig Bundle Added on for R100

Total Payment to rain being R350 per month.

This 30 Gigs must never expire and every month gets added onto your allocation.

So you bill fixed R350 per month per user and never expire the 30 Gigs.

Or just R10 a gig during peak hours is also fine.
“I can assure you that uptake will be so huge that Rain’s infrastructure won’t cope” is not a good argument for any telco to consider it.

Uncapped data for 19 hours a day for R250? The few will spoil it for the many as usual.
Rain offpeak is already R250 for uncapped data. They can just block those that abuse the service...

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Most of the large data bundles can only be bought by contract customers
This is just plain wrong. Large data bundles are available on prepaid with all the network providers.

Swa

Honorary Master
I'll happily pay the true cost of data. I'll just buy a bigger bundle to make up for the increase and still save by not having it expire.

Before Vodacom launched its first data bundles, the price was R45 per MB. With data bundles it reduced the price to R1 per MB.
A bit misleading. First the R45/MB WAS an in-bundle rate for something like 1-10 MB bundles. When they launched the large data bundles they also reduced the prepaid rate to R2/MB so not really a comparison.

I'd say there's a big difference between off peak and 19 hours a day.
Can you imagine the outcry and indignation! Uncapped service, but now you're adding a FUP!
No off-peak 12-7 is exactly 19 hours. :p

People in this thread also made the same mistake...
No the mistake was launching an "uncapped" product and then capping it., the same as Mweb. So they're essentially selling you a capped product but not stating the cap so it's worse.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
No the mistake was launching an "uncapped" product and then capping it., the same as Mweb. So they're essentially selling you a capped product but not stating the cap so it's worse.
Meh every ISP does it. Mobile is mobile though. People are clearly pussyfooting around the mobile part.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yes I see it's from 11PM to 6PM.

Meh every ISP does it. Mobile is mobile though. People are clearly pussyfooting around the mobile part.
Funny to have a hidden bundle when claiming not to support bundles. I don't have a problem with that but be upfront about it. Or if it's really mobile then only allow mobile usage without imposing a cap.

Speedster

Executive Member
Yes I see it's from 11PM to 6PM.

Funny to have a hidden bundle when claiming not to support bundles. I don't have a problem with that but be upfront about it. Or if it's really mobile then only allow mobile usage without imposing a cap.
What cap have they imposed?

thesones

Mobile operators make obscene profits, data pricing is still way too expensive

I'm waiting for someone to launch wifi handoff in densely populated areas, then we can see traffic and profits shift away from the mobile operators

Swa

Honorary Master
It is the "apparently" communicated as fact which is the source of all fake news
"Hi, we've noticed that you’ve used more than 1TB of data on your rain SIM ("
Their communication. It's not "fake" news.

Speedster

Executive Member
"Hi, we've noticed that you’ve used more than 1TB of data on your rain SIM ("
Their communication. It's not "fake" news.
Was that a warning / request to trim down usage or was the connection cut the moment they hit 1TB?